Random acts of music

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

What could you do-IDe ... to get this Dunne? Thus the doing in of the dude ... vast knowledge of wordy metaphors pre wreck exquisite ...

I keep thinking, "That's it. Enough Lake Street Dive." Then another performance blows me away. As mentioned, the band added a keyboard player this year. Akie Bermiss has already proven to be a valuable addition to the band with his skills on the ivories. Well, on the current tour, he's also demonstrating prodigious vocal talents. Here, he sings a soulful arrangement of an old Shania Twain song with Rachel stepping back to join the rest on harmonies.

Hound + Fox with a lovely rendition of Flow Gently Sweet Afton. It's dedicated to their newborn nephew on her side who is named Afton.

Newfoundland's reputation for putting out some of this country's best music continues with the folk-pop duo Fortunate Ones. They have been around a few years now and their second album hit yesterday. A couple tracks:

And, like Hound + Fox, these two are a couple offstage as well as on.

So, Fortunate Ones have been touring with Alan Doyle (best known for Great Big Sea but currently a solo act). And here they join Alan and his band on stage for a lively performance of one of his classic GBS tunes.

It has been a very productive month in terms of album releases, at least for ones that interest me.

Veteran singer Jennifer Warnes has a new album "Another Time, Another Place". Her voice is lovely as ever and she's selected some good songs for it here. Not her best (her Cohen collection Famous Blue Raincoat remains my favorite of her albums), but still a terrific album

Then there's Irish rockers Snow Patrol. While these guys have been around in various forms since the early nineties, it was their song "Chasing Cars" from a few years back that really sent them into the big time. Wildness, their new album, is fantastic. Skilled singing and playing, well-crafted original songs.

And new this week, "Hell-on" by Neko Case. Fresh off her collaboration with Laura Veirs and K. D. Lang, Neko is back to being a solo act. I haven't listened all the way through, but so far it's vintage Neko in both the singing and songwriting.

As mentioned, I have been listening to the new Loreena McKennitt album, entitled Lost Souls. And I'm not sure what more I can say other than it's a Loreena McKennitt album. The woman's quality and style are so consistent that if you know her music, you know what you're getting and a review is kind of pointless. For those not already into McKennitt, she performs pop-folk-World music with a variety of European influences including Celtic, medieval, Renaissance, and Spanish styles. She's a marvellous singer and harpist and always surrounds herself with top quality session players (I haven't found full credits for Lost Souls yet, but whoever plays flamenco guitar is fantastic).

A couple tracks from Lost Souls. There don't seem to be any official or live videos out yet so these are audio-only tracks.

Sigh. Looks like the record company's lawyers have been busy. I'll see if I can find something more official, I guess.

A couple posts up, I mentioned the song "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol. It is a nothing less than a brilliant, beautiful piece of music. Here's the band doing it live.

So, I have always had a thing for great female singer-songwriters with unique, powerful voices. Think Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Sarah McLachlan. Neko Case ranks right up there and her new album is terrific. Possibly my favorite new album so far in 2018.

Staying with Neko for a bit. This is a great live performance of one of her classics. Bad Luck from the new album is in the same vein, really, but I love both.

When I heard that pop violinist Lindsay Stirling would be working and touring with Evanescence, it was a "Hell, Yeah!" moment. I am a fan of both and the combination of Lindsay's violin virtuosity with Amy Lee's vocal and piano skills seemed like a dream.

Happily, I was right.

As well as being a talented violinist, Lindsay Stirling is also a dancer. Sometimes she even dances while playing. Her new video highlights both talents, separately and together.

After Dad died, his CD collection fell into my hands. And there amidst the collection mostly classical music and show tunes was Gold, ABBA's greatest hits album. ABBA was a rare pop group that everyone in my family seemed to agree on. And listening to them almost 40 years after their heyday, I can still see why. While they weren't a lyrically deep band, the music is light, bright, and melodic. It's music to sing and groove to, to take delight in. As I had Gold blasting on my car stereo coming home from work today, I was singing along and (when safe to do so) bouncing in my driver's seat. As much as I like the musical Mamma Mia that the two male members of the band created from their hits, there's nothing like the real thing.

A couple samples:

And the story may not be over. After years, even decades, of rumours, the band is finally back together with new songs looming. The first is apparently due at the end of this year.

One of my family's favourites, as well. My Mom, whose taste was normally very classical/opera, LOVED them.

H'ok
I'm bemused I haven't heard of this music genre before (tho it could b another example of some humanz need to name things...Adamz get continues their purpose)

Murder Ballads

According 2 wikipedia

Herez some ones peeps here might recognize
What I larned 2 play the guitar on

Now one of the podcasts I've been listening 2 has been using music by American Murder Song
Here is a great one based on the famous Donner Party (with shadow puppets)

I like the Dooley -ism … sort of like Doolittle … backing off to study the beast within which we live as apocalypse … now, do we be sentient of that … existing as our self where awareness has arrived?

Can you imagine dying at the thought of who we are? In humanity … or inhumane as the spelt went wrong … miss pelt? What is behind such cognizance … too far in the darkness of the pas St.?

Then if you were loaded with volition there of to not know as gnosi intervenes … gnostic signs … tacky? Like carboni on the wall …

Oh to know a vast R Rah of word … as Rahab just there in the wall listening … theatrically … so positioning may be ben ephix AL!

Then if you don't know where you're at and where one come from … confusion reigns … purple as UV and bruising as it strikes yah! This a complex tale of Jack being extracted by alien tension … sect ant? A' priori separation … may leave you stunned by the well rounded one … L' Ousia? The expression may vary …

Yet, who would know … that wee bug hanging on the wu m' nish wall … and there it stuck … groan Life goes on due to ..?????!

Last edited:
I'm bemused I haven't heard of this music genre before (tho it could b another example of some humanz need to name things...Adamz get continues their purpose)

Murder Ballads

Hmmm. I know some songs that would qualify (Tom Dooley, of course) but never heard the term.

Back