Prairie Floods

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Was just reading news about floods in Saskatchewan now. I didn't know where to put the thread. I hope everyone out that way stays safe and nothing is damaged.

I read that too Kimmio- also floods in Manitoba (and fears that the water is Sk will run their way). Winnipeg Floodway to be, opened,I heard.

I've also seen reports on the news and weather channels. Such destruction. Crazyheart, and all others in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, take care. We've had a few days of rain - actually a wetter summer than in recent years (despite this week's heat wave), but what we've experienced is nothing like theirs.
There can be little doubt that the climate is changing and weather patterns are more severe.
The prairies are the breakbasket - they provide food for Canada and the world. But can food grow in flooded lands?

I was watching The National last night and they were looking at southern Manitoba. Brandon alone got 125mm and it even closed part of the Trans-Canada Highway in that area. They profiled a young couple struggling to save family stuff from their sewage flooded basement. Nasty weather, indeed. My thoughts and prayers with any who are struggling with it.

The prairies are the breakbasket - they provide food for Canada and the world. But can food grow in flooded lands?

In fact, it can. Rice grows in flooded fields and is the staple starch for most of southern Asia and China. However, our growing season may not be long enough for rice so we should likely be looking at strains of grains that can handle it instead.

Parts of Alberta flooded too, very close to the year anniversary of last years flooding. Luckily, it wasn't as bad as people were preparing for. Lots of anxiety though.

The sun is out for a few minutes but it isn't raining. Melville's hospital has been closed this morning and is being evacuated.
Virden, Manitoba just across border are sandbagging.

Gardens and crops aren't growing because we have no heat.

There are highways closed, basements flooded in regina. The riders played through pouring rain. :(

i understand the floods happening to Alberta, they have to pay for the sin of economic success, but man, those floods are NASTY!

what a sick creator deity, playing with its creations suchly

tho, Rob Ford? that's a tougher call...

Hummmm tell that to the Siksika nation that just about got wiped off the mapped last year.

Hummmm tell that to the Siksika nation that just about got wiped off the mapped last year.
did you bear witness?
and wow, what a tiny nation of Blackfoot...i wonder how long they can continue at only 6,000 people?
they might be more psychologically set for these disasters -- after all, their creator g_d, Nah-too-si, is both beneficial & fickle
one day, the buffalo will come back.
one day.

Last edited:
Back