Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

RVH in Barrie has our tent all set up. It's currently for patients who must stay in hospital, but are COVID-negative. My boarder was in the tent for a week or so in January. She joked that it was warmer than in the hospital.

One of our hospital partners is starting up a program to monitor acute COVID patients who need oxygen but not ICU in their homes. We are going to provide RT support to the program. My team and I have been working on IT aspects of the project all week.

Ive worked with ventilators in St. Joes in complex care and never needed 4 people, 2 is required...in a pinch turned them myself
The thing is if they start getting overcrowded these ventilators need to be sent to other hospitals where the covid cases arent too high
.....theyre already saying they may have to farm people out to other hospitals or in tents.
My wife is in Complex Care. Complex Care and Intensive Care are two very different levels of care.

I am talking about turning someone on his belly, including positioning his face on a special pillow, not just turning someone to prevent bedsores.
We were blessed with special mattresses and ceiling lifts..not all facilities have those.
But turning a covid patient would definitely take more care due to everything else theyre hooked up to.

We were blessed with special mattresses and ceiling lifts..not all facilities have those.
But turning a covid patient would definitely take more care due to everything else theyre hooked up to.
According to German physicians working on ICUs who are alarming about lack of staff, it takes 4-5 people 30 minutes to turn a Covid ICU patient on his belly. There must be other issues to consider besides the mechanical ones.

According to German physicians working on ICUs who are alarming about lack of staff, it takes 4-5 people 30 minutes to turn a Covid ICU patient on his belly. There must be other issues to consider besides the mechanical ones.
Yes there are, but my initial point to my post upthread was....where are the ventilators.

I actually haven’t heard hospitals saying they have no ventilators. They have no nurses so are deploying doctors to act as nurses. But it is quite a different skill set

Our health unit has had a surge. No so has shut down daycare and other businesses for two days while 5ey do a massive amount of contact tracing. That has resulted in cancelling vaccine clinics as they don’t have staff for both and don’t want people grouping together either

meanwhile Trudeau thinks things are going well. What planet does he live on

A week into "stay-at-home" and things are not improving yet. Apparently the Ford government is looking at more measures including curfews but, really, it sounds like more enforcement of what is there now might help. They talk about gatherings of people in parks, for instance, so why aren't they getting warnings or something?

Good reason why here the early shipment that expired April 2 was all done in mass clinics - pharmacies started with Pfizer and Moderna and are doing AstraZeneca now. The appointments were all booked up fairly quickly, and the doses were all delivered in March - I think it was the 25th they were completed.

I would have thought pharmacies would have been better aware of the expiration date though - the April 2nd thing was well publicized, unless they had received more recent Covishield and everything they had wasn't expiring at the same time.

I do not understand the plans to give these people an extra dose so quickly. Why not compare their response to others first?

It's a mess. Apparently, the big box stores like Walmart have both been forced to rope off their non-food inventory, and also, remove the bar codes from their system, so even if you duck under a barrier to get a hot wheels car, you won't be able to pay for it at the cash. I had a customer gloat triumphantly at a successful purchase of Hot Wheels at my store...

Why didn't they make it a priority to vaccinate workers who couldn't work from home? Not just health care, but meat packing plants, Tim Horton's workers, etc. Strikes me that this may have been a huge vector for transmission.

It's a mess. Apparently, the big box stores like Walmart have both been forced to rope off their non-food inventory, and also, remove the bar codes from their system, so even if you duck under a barrier to get a hot wheels car, you won't be able to pay for it at the cash. I had a customer gloat triumphantly at a successful purchase of Hot Wheels at my store...

Why didn't they make it a priority to vaccinate workers who couldn't work from home? Not just health care, but meat packing plants, Tim Horton's workers, etc. Strikes me that this may have been a huge vector for transmission.
I think there's a really good reason to vaccinate health care workers over many others in the front line.

The health risk categories were made way too broad in many provinces IMO. Those taking meds for autoimmune conditions for example, aren't actually at risk like initially we thought was a possibility.

We could have had front line workers higher up the list while still being behind health care workers.

I agree it’s a mess. And it’s frustrating

our local health unit has putout local restrictions. Don’t leave your home. Don’t see anyone. Only essential shopping for food and drugs. Most stores have closed. All trails are closed. All public facilities are closed.
because if a surge in cases. And all the store closures are voluntary

I went grocery shopping at Giant Tiger, and it was brilliant. Only groceries were for sale. Everything else was roped off or covered.
Hardly anyone there, lineup not too bad. Did a big grocery shop - checked out quickly too.
Did a small purchase at our market stand for veggies.

So nice. No issues. Everyone was masked. Carts were being cleaned.

Most recent Infectious Disease doc interview (guy I used to work with & I trust his opinions) said ON gov is emphasizing the wrong stuff - knowing full well people don't & won't stay home at this point - this has already been shown. He suggested the main distinction is between being outdoors & indoors. BE OUTDOORS - and of course with proper distancing, masking, hygiene etc. Be in a small group OUTDOORS if you must - like talk to your neighbour over the fence, or on the sidewalk - distanced & masked. But do not go indoors if with others. And this means really - don't go indoors ANYWHERE you don't absolutely have to - these variants are so extremely contagious. Go back to getting groceries delivered etc. I like Jayne's use of a market stand for veggies :)

Here in my city we're in day two of a standoff of police & bylaw officers outside a private gym that is opening illegally. So weird they can't just stop people from going in.

Most recent Infectious Disease doc interview (guy I used to work with & I trust his opinions) said ON gov is emphasizing the wrong stuff - knowing full well people don't & won't stay home at this point - this has already been shown. He suggested the main distinction is between being outdoors & indoors. BE OUTDOORS - and of course with proper distancing, masking, hygiene etc. Be in a small group OUTDOORS if you must - like talk to your neighbour over the fence, or on the sidewalk - distanced & masked. But do not go indoors if with others. And this means really - don't go indoors ANYWHERE you don't absolutely have to - these variants are so extremely contagious. Go back to getting groceries delivered etc. I like Jayne's use of a market stand for veggies :)

Here in my city we're in day two of a standoff of police & bylaw officers outside a private gym that is opening illegally. So weird they can't just stop people from going in.
I think that's bad advice. Just because it's not an absolute need we still need to take risk vs. benefit into consideration. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure still applies.
Question why going inside, keep as much distance when doing so as possible, but don't put it off something indoors if it means things will end up dire later.

Back