Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I know. I'm sure glad I'm not working for AHS anymore and am concerned for those who do.
I'm hoping that this has actually lead to more people being aware of the issues. I think doctors and nurses have quite a bit of public support right now. It might not be for all healthcare workers, but it's probably better compared to what it usually is. Shandro has done an awful job in terms of PR/public perception.

I went to one of my main suppliers, less than 2 weeks ago. I have been buying from them and sending my customers to them for over 12 years. Just a sign on the door - we are gone. That’s 5 families income succumbed to Covid-19. Someone’s life’s work. Not the disease, but the reaction to the disease.

Trudeau and NDP governments have almost put this province out of business and plenty of other provincial governments are hoping to finish the job.

I get that the medical community has an ideal under which they think things should play out.

But some people would rather have something to live for besides cowering in place until everything they have worked for is taken away by some reset agenda.

I went to one of my main suppliers, less than 2 weeks ago. I have been buying from them and sending my customers to them for over 12 years. Just a sign on the door - we are gone. That’s 5 families income succumbed to Covid-19. Someone’s life’s work. Not the disease, but the reaction to the disease.

Trudeau and NDP governments have almost put this province out of business and plenty of other provincial governments are hoping to finish the job.

I get that the medical community has an ideal under which they think things should play out.

But some people would rather have something to live for besides cowering in place until everything they have worked for is taken away by some reset agenda.
It's really difficult to earn a living when really sick.

Im confused....why would someone who has been in business for 12 years have to go out of business in such a short time.....sounds like they werent making profits all along or over extended themselves prior.
Same with these big chains.....

There really needs to be a balance of some kind. BC was doing very well having most businesses open with guidelines. Of course we're not doing so well right now. Much of that is linked to social gatherings and to workplaces like meat processing plants that can't put the layers of protection in as easily. We most definitely need to put public health measures in place. Our economy will tank if the forecast health problems and deaths do happen. We also need to find ways so our businesses still do well. I'm just glad I'm not in a position to be making these decisions. :confused:

Im confused....why would someone who has been in business for 12 years have to go out of business in such a short time.....sounds like they werent making profits all along or over extended themselves prior.
You have a business. You have overhead. You build your business over time. It feeds your family and your employees families. You don’t have a lot of money, what you have goes into inventory for your business and stuff like that. Then some clown comes by and shuts down your business for months and you can’t sell your inventory. You have to pay rent and pay employees even though they are not making you any money. You were planning on selling your company to someone who will look after your employees a few years in the future.

But now, a business that could have been sold for 1.5 million dollars in 2019 can not find a purchaser, but you may get ten cents on the dollar for your inventory to help pay your last employees final salary.

There really needs to be a balance of some kind. BC was doing very well having most businesses open with guidelines. Of course we're not doing so well right now. Much of that is linked to social gatherings and to workplaces like meat processing plants that can't put the layers of protection in as easily. We most definitely need to put public health measures in place. Our economy will tank if the forecast health problems and deaths do happen. We also need to find ways so our businesses still do well. I'm just glad I'm not in a position to be making these decisions. :confused:
And here things were going well for a while. I think way too much focus was placed on death rates and not long term effects. Throw in unrealistic expectations for most of the public (we be careful for a few months and then things can go back to normal, right?) and a good balanced approach was lost. There's also been a lot of well we can make x number of temp ICU beds by just making other areas not be ICU - and the staffing aspect gets lost. One nurse can't just simply jump into a different nursing position.

Considering the economy for years before this it's understandable that this would push quite a few over the edge.

You have a business. You have overhead. You build your business over time. It feeds your family and your employees families. You don’t have a lot of money, what you have goes into inventory for your business and stuff like that. Then some clown comes by and shuts down your business for months and you can’t sell your inventory. You have to pay rent and pay employees even though they are not making you any money. You were planning on selling your company to someone who will look after your employees a few years in the future.

But now, a business that could have been sold for 1.5 million dollars in 2019 can not find a purchaser, but you may get ten cents on the dollar for your inventory to help pay your last employees final salary.
So basically no one saved for a rainy day or even a month....what if the interest rates rose by 3 or 4 points down the road and it wasnt a pandemic?

Let's keep in mind that brick and mortar retail is actually a low-margin business (online is different due to lower fixed costs if done right). The reason Black Friday is called that is because merchants started turning a profit on that day. Absent Black Friday and Christmas shopping, many retailers are hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

Big chains like Walmart and Costco are better off due to various strategies that their size and scale lets them benefit from (purchasing in quantity, special deals with manufacturers, just-in-time) to raise those margins but even they are not immune. Walmart has had to close some unprofitable stores in recent years.

So basically no one saved for a rainy day or even a month....what if the interest rates rose by 3 or 4 points down the road and it wasnt a pandemic?
It hasn't just been a rough month. It's been rough years, followed by no income for some businesses for months, while they still had costs to cover.

Back