Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
On another note, will people get to choose which vaccine they get?
Not likely. Pfizer's storage requirements (-70C) mean it will likely only be available in institutions, leaving Moderna and AstraZeneca as the ones most likely to be available widely. And AstraZeneca is cheap and easy to store so there will be a lot of pressure to reserve it for the developing world and places like the Canadian North, leaving Moderna as the probable option for most of us. That's just my best guess, though, and assumes it is going to be among those three.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Fredericton has had anti-mask demonstrations, as I'm sure Moncton has.
London was supposed to have one but it must have fizzled because there's been nothing on the news since last week when they said it was coming. The one in St. Thomas the week before only got 150 or something like that. So the only substantial one around here was Aylmer and that was because the big anti-mask group from TO decided to come down and make a show of it.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
On another note, will people get to choose which vaccine they get?
I think the government may choose to tailor who gets what to an extent. We see that with other vaccines. A bit of irony, with the really adverse flu vaccine reaction I had it was one intended for pregnant women. They had accidentally got too much of that one compared to the normal one, so it actually had less 'stuff' in it. Ie. No thimersol. I wasn't even aware at the time, but I was told after my reaction and they checked which one of the 2 I got so thimersol could at least be ruled out as a possible trigger, although I'm fairly certain it's just the antigen that's the issue.

I agree with @Mendalla storage conditions will likely be a factor. Healthcare workers in major centers will be more likely to get Pfizer's vaccine than the general population living on reserves away from major cities.

The elderly might get a vaccine that is shown to be more effective for them, although rollout time is a factor too.

ETA - There's also vaccines that are not safe for all. One of them is a live vaccine and typically those with certain immunodeficiencies are told to not get those. Hopefully there is a vaccine that is safe for them (the 2 mRNA ones would likely be suitable).

Last edited:

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Interesting, in the health update today Dr. Hinshaw wouldn't even share what she's recommending to government. More restrictions are coming tomorrow but I'm guessing there's a lot of arguing over just how far those should go.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Ouch, yes, not really impressed with AB gov response, perhaps Dr. Hinshaw will have a good influence.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
*off topic*

Horrible observation. People who end up with metal plates supporting badly broken bones often feel cold literally, in their bones. A son had a good friend, D, sort of a sad kid (at my house all the time for many years), who broke his arm bones very badly in his early 20s. Had to have some screws to fix them. Often had to work "whatever temp" jobs to make ends meet; those were often garbage/recycling truck jobs, outside, in a cold winter here. Committed suicide in his late 20s; this was part of it. Cold is so awful. Dog and I went for a walk on a quiet part of the rail trail this evening. I was equipped except I forgot my headband. As we walked headfirst into a cold drizzle/snow, I thought of Chanie Wenjack.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Interesting, in the health update today Dr. Hinshaw wouldn't even share what she's recommending to government. More restrictions are coming tomorrow but I'm guessing there's a lot of arguing over just how far those should go.

I've wondered about Dr Hinshaw's power. Does she have to get the premier's blessing? Dr Henry seems to have the power to make public health orders. Perhaps she has the backing of the premier or whoever

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I've wondered about Dr Hinshaw's power. Does she have to get the premier's blessing? Dr Henry seems to have the power to make public health orders. Perhaps she has the backing of the premier or whoever
I think she could make orders in a state of emergency but I would have to check. In updates she has given the description of her position, which is to make recommendations to government. If she did have the power to just make the orders we very well might be having a new person in her place. So I think either way, there are limitations there.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
This is from an article written in March:

"B.C.'s provincial health officer has declared a public health emergency in response to the COVID-19 pandemic that has sickened more than 230 people across the province and led to seven deaths as of March 18."

"So, what does it mean when there's a public health emergency in B.C.?

In practical terms, the declaration under the Public Health Act gives the provincial health officer the power to issue verbal orders that are immediately enforceable. An example would be Tuesday's order for venues such as bars and clubs to shut down across the province.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, as provincial health officer, can also "compel any and all peace officers" in the province to enforce her verbal orders."

Public Health Emergency BC

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Not sure about the provincial medical officer, but local medical officers in Ontario can issue orders under the legislation and ours has done so, putting in restrictions not included in our provincial level.

ChemGal

One with keen eye

Help me understand. I can't imagine this scenario. Why do 100's of doctors have to write to Jason Kenney 3 times, only to get no response for their urgent requests. They even had to remind him it's not political.
Kenney wants to pretty much dismantle public healthcare the doctors are his enemies.

ChemGal

One with keen eye

Overview​

The Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health provides public health expertise to support health surveillance, population health and disease control initiatives on issues of public health importance.
Dr. Deena Hinshaw was appointed Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health on January 28, 2019. She is supported by the Deputy Chief Medical Officer of Health and Deputy Medical Officer of Health.
The Chief Medical Officer of Health is a member of the Alberta Health executive team and reports to the Deputy Minister of Health. In extraordinary situations, such as a public health emergency, to ensure the welfare of Albertans, the Chief Medical Officer of Health may report directly to the Minister of Health.

Chief Medical Officer of Health​

• Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Dr. Deena Hinshaw​

Dr. Deena Hinshaw completed her undergraduate degree at Augustana University College in Camrose, Alberta. She completed her medical degree, Masters in Public Health and residencies in family medicine and community medicine at the University of Alberta.
    Dr. Hinshaw worked as a Medical Officer of Health in the Central Zone of Alberta Health Services from January 2010 to July 2017. She also served as the Medical Officer of Health lead in the area of public health surveillance and infrastructure for Alberta Health Services from 2014 to 2017. She served as Alberta Health’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer of Health from 2017 to 2019.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Interesting, there were multiple reports of times for the update about restrictions today. Quite a few had Kenney separate. Most recent I saw was Kenney, Hinshaw, Shandro and Yiu all at 4:30. I have a feeling Kenney doesn't want to be doing the announcement so he's dragging as many others with him.