Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I have just begun reading “The Plague” by Albert Camus. Interesting to notice the patterns at work as the plague spreads. Not unlike the patterns we now experience as the virus spreads.

I have just begun reading “The Plague” by Albert Camus. Interesting to notice the patterns at work as the plague spreads. Not unlike the patterns we now experience as the virus spreads.

It is amazing how much literature takes on a new relevance in this situation. Back when we didn't know how bad it would be, Stephen King's The Stand (in which a pandemic superflu leads to a literal Apocalypse) got talked about a lot.

And the week the galaxyland reopened inside west edmonton mall, additional restrictions are going to be added to Edmonton. Will find out tomorrow what they are.

And the week the galaxyland reopened inside west edmonton mall, additional restrictions are going to be added to Edmonton. Will find out tomorrow what they are.
Yikes. That'll be a headache for staff. Though I walked through it last time I was there - it was few years ago - I wouldn't go anywhere near it now. Not even into that enormous (busy) mall.

Is literature, in integral, just a collection of threads of autonomously diverse story lines?

There are those that cannot accept this when gathered ...

*sigh* The new restrictions are all voluntary, so just suggestions. Recommendations - personal gatherings back down to 15, doesn't include businesses/churches etc. but does include weddings & funerals. Request to wear masks in businesses when not alone ie. in a meeting distancing isn't considered enough.

Reasoning for it being voluntary - healthcare system is ok. There's another hospital outbreak though.

This article made me laugh.

Back in March I was amazed at how much in denial people seemed to be about how long lasting this would be. Sure timelines shift, as no one knows well in advance when the end will be for certainty. I was definitely a bit longer thinking than many, and I didn't see that as putting me in a state of depression. What is depressing is the though of a totally overwhelmed heatlhcare system (right now things are only partially ovewhelmed). Even know, I'm not looking for an end for Christmas. I think this winter is going to suck, as at least in the summer I could be out, see people in ways that I felt were safe. Winter minimizes that drastically, plus the current numbers aren't great either, so even if the temperature allowed for a beach day, I wouldn't feel comfortable being the one to supervise my nephews there. I do think it's possible for the numbers to drop back down by Christmas to what they were like over the summer, but I also think it's possible for them to reach a new high by then.

My hopes? That by Christmas 2021 things will be safe enough to gather with relatives. I'm not certain that will happen, but it's not an extremely unlikely possibility.

Back in March I was amazed at how much in denial people seemed to be about how long lasting this would be. Sure timelines shift, as no one knows well in advance when the end will be for certainty. I was definitely a bit longer thinking than many,
This is my guesstimate ...

Phase in secondary lock down restrictions on a rolling basis, starting with major metropolitan areas first and expanding outward ... November 2020.

Daily new cases of COVID-19 will surge beyond capacity of testing, including increases in COVID related deaths following the same growth curves ... by end of November 2020.

Rush the acquisition of (or construction of) isolation facilities across every province and territory ... December 2020.

Complete and total secondary lock down (much stricter than the first and second rolling phase restrictions)... by end of December 2020 - early January 2021

Reform and expansion of the unemployment program to be transitioned into the universal basic income program... by Q1 2021.

COVID-19 mutation and/or co-infection with secondary virus (referred to as COVID-21) leading to a third wave with much higher mortality rate and higher rate of infection ... by February 2021.

Daily new cases of COVID-21 hospitalizations and COVID-19 and COVID-21 related deaths will exceed medical care facilities capacity ... Q1 - Q2 2021.

Enhanced lock down restrictions (3rd Lock Down) will be implemented. Full travel restrictions will be imposed (including inter-province and inter-city). Q2 2021.

Transitioning of individuals into the universal basic income program ... mid Q2 2021.

Supply chain break downs, inventory shortages, large economic instability... late Q2 2021.

Deployment of military personnel into major metropolitan areas as well as all major roadways to establish travel checkpoints. Restrict travel and movement ... by Q3 2021.

In order to offset an economic collapse on a international scale, the federal government will offer Canadians a total debt relief. The federal government will offer to eliminate all personal debts (mortgages, loans, credit cards, etc). Funding will be provided to Canada by the IMF.

That by Christmas 2021 things will be safe enough to gather with relatives. I'm not certain that will happen, but it's not an extremely unlikely possibility.

Not at all unlikely by my guesstimate either.

I appreciated your point, Ritafee, about the government finally accepting the necessity of UBI. Their short term thinking, bandaid approach, bothers me, even if it does not surprise me.. I am not as pessimistic as you about the number of increasing cases, but they will almost certainly keep increasing until at least the end of November, and probably well into December. I do not expect the next deadly virus to show up for two to four years, but it will. Other instabilities include the situation in Alberta. Jason Kenney's government does not understand it governs at the will of the people. If he continues to be as belligerent as he has been so far, he may push enough Albertans into a rebellious mode that strikes and other forms of resistance might force a change in government. IF Alberta becomes destabilized, I would not be prepared to make any predictions about consequences elsewhere. The SQ (Surrete Quebec are enforcing travel restrictions around the corridor from Montreal to Quebec City. My guestimate at the end to a significant number of Covid-19 cases is spring of 2022.

I got an email, there are shortages within plasma products due to the pandemic. No specific information for what I use.
U of A hospital has had some emergency room staff test positive, plus there are still the other hospital outbreaks.
Healthcare system is being stressed I would say.

There was also an article about the number of people with long term effects - 75% although that was a small study and on hospitalized patients. Still, I have concerns about the long term impact of this on health care, not just the next year or 2.

I have spent more time than I like to think about lately trying to make an appointment for flu/pneumonia shots. I got put on hold, I got told the speaker would call back, I got told that I couldn't have a pneumonia shot because I had one before etc, etc.. Explaining that my pulmonologist told me to get one was a useless endeavor. The person on the phone said No. Gave up on that and called the pulmonologist directly. Yes, he had said I should get one. Yes, he would deal with it and my family doctor would be in contact. There seem to be too many people making differing decisions in health care.

This area has had quite an increase in cases of COVID in the past few days. Many of them are in remote communities on reserves following an Evangelical church's foolish behaviour in Prince Albert. Lots of indigenous people went to special services and then went back home taking the virus with them. The various reserves seem to be more prepared to lock down and take care of each other than some of the cities.

I have spent more time than I like to think about lately trying to make an appointment for flu/pneumonia shots. I got put on hold, I got told the speaker would call back, I got told that I couldn't have a pneumonia shot because I had one before etc, etc.. Explaining that my pulmonologist told me to get one was a useless endeavor. The person on the phone said No. Gave up on that and called the pulmonologist directly. Yes, he had said I should get one. Yes, he would deal with it and my family doctor would be in contact. There seem to be too many people making differing decisions in health care.

This area has had quite an increase in cases of COVID in the past few days. Many of them are in remote communities on reserves following an Evangelical church's foolish behaviour in Prince Albert. Lots of indigenous people went to special services and then went back home taking the virus with them. The various reserves seem to be more prepared to lock down and take care of each other than some of the cities.
Ugh I know what those phone calls can be like.
Here, the flu shot aspect seems to be fairly simple, lots of online options. I asked Chemguy to do it, he claims the link didn't work and the pharmacy I suggested he called was closed. Flu shots have been available for little over a week for those who are high risk. I had to get antibiotics ASAP so reminded him to book an appointment while at the pharmacy picking it up. He has an appointment - for the general population gets it. No consideration for me being high risk and unable to get it - a bit annoying, but I'm not too concerned as I do think COVID measures are lowering the flu circulation anyway. A week or 2 later shouldn't make a big difference.

Just heard about this story today.
I suppose it is the advantage of small places with few airports, that we can control who comes to us better than you in the west. Happy that they sent them right back on a return flight. Stay the blazes home!

In another news- a Yodel concert in Switzerland with 600 participants has lead to a new hotspot with 94 participants now testing positive. People should know better.

Back