Nova Scotia shootings

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

One of the huge problems with the whole situation was that the only woman who knew what was going on spent the night hiding, terrorized, in the woods. I don't blame her, but I'll bet if she'd managed to get to the RCMP sooner, things might have ended with fewer deaths.

They are investigating themselves, I guess

I hope not but I am not sure how things work in Nova Scotia. In Ontario, the Special Investigations Unit, an independent provincial body tasked with investigating all deaths or injuries involving police (even traffic accidents involving cruisers) would be doing the investigation.

I do hope some level of government convenes an inquiry, though, even if it's just a coroner's inquest into the deaths. There needs to be more than just a simple investigation done here.

I hope not but I am not sure how things work in Nova Scotia. In Ontario, the Special Investigations Unit, an independent provincial body tasked with investigating all deaths or injuries involving police (even traffic accidents involving cruisers) would be doing the investigation.

I do hope some level of government convenes an inquiry, though, even if it's just a coroner's inquest into the deaths. There needs to be more than just a simple investigation done here.
I'd say so. It was the biggest crime of that nature in Canadian history (also f***ing terrifying what he did and how he did it and why the proper public alerts didn't go out. It's straight out of a horror movie.) I think there needs to be a much broader investigation.

One of the huge problems with the whole situation was that the only woman who knew what was going on spent the night hiding, terrorized, in the woods. I don't blame her, but I'll bet if she'd managed to get to the RCMP sooner, things might have ended with fewer deaths.
Did she trust them? Supposing he was working with them, and/or tied up with gangs - maybe she was afraid to call. Regardless, she was f***ing terrified and traumatized and this is not on her. There were other incidents - and he had that car. And a fetish for/ collection of used cop cars. But that full replica car with the decals on it - which people knew about - was very odd. Where did he get the uniform, also? It's all too weird. I wish we knew the full story.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think she was terrified that he (her partner) was still local and hunting for her, from what I understand.

I've wondered about this timeline myself. She would have seen or heard the car drive off wouldn't she? (would have been a good time to run to a neighbours through the woods?) and did the killer set his house on fire when he left or come back and do it? Why weren't fire trucks putting out fires or were they?

Interesting that the records of police responding to complaints from others about his past behaviours (threatening his parents, a friend witnessing his abuse towards his girlfriend, etc......) were either not filed or were "purged"(2:50-3:16) from the system.....hmmm.

Interesting that the records of police responding to complaints from others about his past behaviours (threatening his parents, a friend witnessing his abuse towards his girlfriend, etc......) were either not filed or were "purged"(2:50-3:16) from the system.....hmmm.
Well it made me think how long would you want things to be kept and looked at. The shoplifting you did as a teen, the speeding tickets, the complaints from the neighbours, the rumours. Also easily to construct something out of it as it accumulates. Thinking of police bias and BLM. Kids who grew up under difficult circumstances- how long does it carry forward? How much does it get in the way of a career. There’s got to be a clean slate at some point.
And is it sad but as long as the girlfriend doesn’t press changes nothing happens. And- would we want the police to be able to search our house just because a neighbour said he thinks you have illegal weapons? I am playing devil’s advocate here. All kinds of Canadians have lots of guns. I was surprised to hear from a colleague that they have a whole basement room set up for all the guns they own. Legally, though. But nevertheless, where is the line that needs to be crossed to have the police involved? It is easy to judge in retrospect.

Well it made me think how long would you want things to be kept and looked at. The shoplifting you did as a teen, the speeding tickets, the complaints from the neighbours, the rumours. Also easily to construct something out of it as it accumulates. Thinking of police bias and BLM. Kids who grew up under difficult circumstances- how long does it carry forward? How much does it get in the way of a career. There’s got to be a clean slate at some point.
And is it sad but as long as the girlfriend doesn’t press changes nothing happens. And- would we want the police to be able to search our house just because a neighbour said he thinks you have illegal weapons? I am playing devil’s advocate here. All kinds of Canadians have lots of guns. I was surprised to hear from a colleague that they have a whole basement room set up for all the guns they own. Legally, though. But nevertheless, where is the line that needs to be crossed to have the police involved? It is easy to judge in retrospect.
My understanding from the video that some of the complaints were pretty recent.

Does the girlfriend/victim have to press charges in Nova Scotia? In Ontario if they arrive at an abusive situation they will press the charges.....no longer a choice.

You can't charge people with "what you think they might do". It's sorta not cricket.

Heard a horrible interview on CBC years ago. It was a young woman, who had been one of the Ceausescu babies. in a Romanian orphanage, adopted fairly young, age 2-3. However, one of the side effects of this brief Romanian system was that the babies were not touched, or cared for, beyond food, in their first few months. Huge risk of psychopathy. This young woman knew she had psychopathic tendencies, as did her mother (there had been some small animal victims), but she didn't know what to do about this. She felt like a bomb waiting to explode , but she didn't want to be punished for something she hadn't done. Yet.

You can't charge people with "what you think they might do". It's sorta not cricket.
Years ago in ontario at least, it used to be if a victim called the police (say for a abusive husband) while he was abusing her, it was common for a woman to withdraw the complaint and the charges were not followed through. Now if a woman changes her mind, she can't, and the police lay the charges anyway.
So if the neighbour called the police on this idiot beating up his girlfriend, I believe he would have been charged and taken into custody in Ontario.....correct me if I'm wrong.

Heard a horrible interview on CBC years ago. It was a young woman, who had been one of the Ceausescu babies. in a Romanian orphanage, adopted fairly young, age 2-3. However, one of the side effects of this brief Romanian system was that the babies were not touched, or cared for, beyond food, in their first few months. Huge risk of psychopathy. This young woman knew she had psychopathic tendencies, as did her mother (there had been some small animal victims), but she didn't know what to do about this. She felt like a bomb waiting to explode , but she didn't want to be punished for something she hadn't done. Yet.
She needed to get help, too bad it felt like a confession.of guilt...instead of.just getting help. I read about these babies, tragic and so sad.

The replica RCMP car plus abusive past behaviour - something's off. People knew he had that car. I believe the RCMP knew he had it. Isn't impersonating a police officer illegal? Did he drive that car at any other time before he committed the shootings? I don't think he should've been allowed to drive that car, and to have it is odd.

I couldn't get the video to load on my phone. I'll try my iPad. I would like to know how he got a police uniform, too. Or was it just a passable from a distance costume? To be obsessed with police cars, owning police cars - would that not raise eyebrows with anyone? It was weird. It's an elephant in the room they practically brushed aside. The fact that he impersonated a cop - pulled people over while in his violent state... It's horrifying and I doubt it's something he did on a whim. He must've taken time to plan it. He didn't just go and do that suudenly because he snapped in a fight with his girlfriend (I doubt that) - and have $475K in cash ready beforehand - because he was afraid of covid. That was a possible reason given and it makes no sense whatsoever. I don't think he was afraid for his wellbeing or anyone else's, to scheme up that horrible atrocity. It seems way to orchestrated to be impulsive. Maybe the cops wouldn't have the average denturist on their radar but he was not the average denturist. He was obsessed with police vehicles, and had been reported for past violent behaviour.

If I were the RCMP and knew - they did know, or am I mistaken about that? - a guy in town was driving police vehicles around - and one of them looked like an exact replica enough to fool the average person - I'd probably be keeping an eye on him everytime he left the driveway in that thing. If it wasn't illegal already.

Last edited:
Years ago in ontario at least, it used to be if a victim called the police (say for a abusive husband) while he was abusing her, it was common for a woman to withdraw the complaint and the charges were not followed through. Now if a woman changes her mind, she can't, and the police lay the charges anyway.
So if the neighbour called the police on this idiot beating up his girlfriend, I believe he would have been charged and taken into custody in Ontario.....correct me if I'm wrong.
Honestly, I don’t know the details of NS law in this case.

I had once the police at my door because my son had a temper tantrum and was yelling so loudly that some neighbour or passer-by must have called the cops on me. He didn’t come in, but I as an “ immigrant” am sure I was more watched in the neighbourhood than others. Probably more so if I had had dark skin. How long should the police “ memorize” those incidents? Later, I needed a police check for volunteering at the school. Maybe its a different topic, but where to draw the line between “ hear say” and actual criminal behaviour. Maybe that’s where another government agency needs to come into play.

The restorative approach makes sense with something like the orphanages inquiry they mention. For something like this, though, I agree with those who think it should be a traditional public judicial inquiry. In particular, holding the hearings publicly rather than in camera. Not holding a public inquiry comes across as a cover up in this case.

The restorative approach makes sense with something like the orphanages inquiry they mention. For something like this, though, I agree with those who think it should be a traditional public judicial inquiry. In particular, holding the hearings publicly rather than in camera. Not holding a public inquiry comes across as a cover up in this case.
I don’t see why both wouldn’t be possible. I think that some kind of “ circle” to deal with the hurt could be very effective for healing, especially because people in the circle will have to listen to each other, compared to just an “ announcement”.

Imagine the extent of the great unknown's accrued from this one incident ... and then wonder if there can be more than this? Yet still there are some that state they know God entirely and inside out ... eternal reciprocation?

One would have to drive a great hole without light between their ears ... star chamber? Dark witt humus? Nos hitt Tar's An ...

Well sadly this weekend, a father abducted/took his young daughters when he wasn't supposed to. An Amber Alert was sounded several times in the area but unfortunately the little ones (6 and 11 yrs. old) were found yesterday dead. The father is still on the loose and a manhunt is on.
I bring this up in this thread because the reporting is very scant. They are warning the surrounding area to be aware there is a killer on the loose.....but there's no word how these girls were killed. Are they aware they have a killer on the loose with a gun? a knife? no weapon?
Also he took them in his car that was involved in a crash, and then they all had to walk to the woods where the murders took place.....is he still walking, did he steal another car? Are the area residents looking for someone walking or driving?
Should this information be given asap? It seemed to be a problem with communication in Nova Scotia....is it happening here in Quebec too?

Back