Nova Scotia shootings

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I meant to post about this yesterday but the news was so vague and scattered until the Mounties' evening news conference that I held off. @Luce NDs alluded to it in post earlier so I figured it was time.

It has now surpassed Ecole Polytechnique as this country's worst mass shooting, with 17 dead including a 23 year RCMP veteran, a couple teachers, and others whose stories are still emerging.

We always say these things don't happen here and, yet, once a decade or so, they do. How do we react? How do we support communities affected? And perhaps above all, can we stop them in time?

Waterfall

Reaction score
From what I've read this must have been absolutely terrifying for these small communities. My heart goes out to these communities.
@Mrs.Anteater, let us know that you're okay.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
at first look it does sound like a domestic violence situation gone horribly. Poor people

It will be a first for a fallen police officer to not have a funeral. I wonder if they will delay it

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
I think Mrs. A does not live in the areas reportedly traveled by the perpetrator of this horrendous crime.

When we went to Nova Scotia last fall, we did drive along the coast route along the shore of Bay of Fundy, through many tiny communities including Portapique. It is beautiful countryside, dotted with tiny communities like this. So sad.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I have only driven through there once and wasn't stopping. I was driving back to Ontario after a visit with Mrs. M during her time at Dalhousie. It is about the only part of Nova Scotia that I have not really toured properly.

And I thought of @Mrs.Anteater , too, but she isn't in that area AFAIK.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
at first look it does sound like a domestic violence situation gone horribly. Poor people

It will be a first for a fallen police officer to not have a funeral. I wonder if they will delay it
I don’t know about domestic violence. He drove in a fake cop car and a fake cop uniform. It does sound delusional to me.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
I initially thought domestic violence when I heard there were people who had died at the first scene. If domestic violence was involved, it was only a small part. It's hard to comprehend the enormity of this. Such a tragedy.

revjohn

Reaction score
Mrs.Anteater said:
I don’t know about domestic violence. He drove in a fake cop car and a fake cop uniform. It does sound delusional to me.
This could be a both/and event. It begins with the Domestic and once the line has been crossed there is no rhyme or reason just a bloody path to an inevitable conclusion.

It is obviously a planned thing and not simply an impulse. I suspect deeper connections between all victims (if there is a deeper connection) will give better insight into the thoughts of the victimizer. I doubt we will gain any understanding.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
There are fifteen crime scenes. Some people seemed to have been passerbys and others neighbours who saw fire and came running. Who would have known.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
I think I have read somewhere that he used the police car to pull people over to shoot them?

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
And on the radio they said that anybody can buy a used police car as well as the lights and other parts necessary to make it look real.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Auctioning off decommissioned police cars is common. It's an easy way to get a cheap full-sized automobile. But to get the decals and stuff to make it look "real"? Surely that would set off alarm bells somewhere.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Omg. CTVNews interviewed a man whose wife was the nurse killed. VON. Working without proper PPE and stressed. They heard about the shootings when they went to bed. In the morning as she was heading to work, they assumed he had been caught. Father distraught, no warning, no emergency message to stay home. Texted his wife to not stop for anyone on the road. No idea he was driving a cop car

heartbreaking

no excus for not sending out a province wide emergency alert. Twitter?? Not good enough

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
Yes, how many people are using twitter? I don’t my son doesn’t, his girlfriend doesn’t.
Having said that, my phon is old- I don’t think it would get those alerts either.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Yes, how many people are using twitter? I don’t my son doesn’t, his girlfriend doesn’t.
Having said that, my phon is old- I don’t think it would get those alerts either.
Even if using it (I read it, never made an account), I would assume one would have to be following the right people/groups or hashtag to even get it.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Whereas the only people who appear not to get the alerts are some of us "pay as you go" folks. You should hear the store when an alert is broadcast. Phone's blaring away from every corner, the staff lockers upstairs turning into a cacophany of alert sounds amplified by the tin walls of the lockers.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Then during a press conference on Monday morning, Nova Scotia RCMP Chief Supt. Chris Leather did not seem aware that an alert was not sent out to Nova Scotians.

“I believe there was an Amber Alert that went out at some point?” Leather asked his colleague Lisa Croteau, spokesperson for Halifax District RCMP.

“No, we used Twitter and Facebook […] we were in contact with the province about the alert,” Croteau responded

I highly suspect if this happened in/near a larger city, such as Halifax, an alert would have gone out. Pretty bad when people involved in discussing what happened don't know.