Exercise - what do you do?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

That is cool. Wonder if any other border crossings do the same thing? Given the proximity of our national days, it seems like an obvious way to have a joint celebration.

It's the bridge between Sault Ste. Marie Ontario and Sault Ste. Marie Michigan. It is a tradition that the two cities join together to walk the bridge on the Saturday closest to July 1st and July 4th. I really enjoy it. For me (a teacher) it signifies the beginning of my holiday too! So that's a bonus.
Reads nifty, there :3

Do you have to bring your passports?

Reads nifty, there :3

Do you have to bring your passports?
Yes, we bring our passports and the whole bus (and multiple busses) goes into US customs, passport in hand. They do very quick checks and we are on our way. Walking back through Canada customs, another quick check is done, and a "Have a good day Nancy!" and again, we are on our way.

@Lastpointe I decided to check into a new place nearby with physical trainers. I figure I could use some help safely building myself back up again going it alone is a little risky until I understand my triggers and warning signs better. They have some TRX classes! I'll have to see if they will allow it without a note from my doctor - I don't want to pay $45 every time I sign up for something.

@Lastpointe I decided to check into a new place nearby with physical trainers. I figure I could use some help safely building myself back up again going it alone is a little risky until I understand my triggers and warning signs better. They have some TRX classes! I'll have to see if they will allow it without a note from my doctor - I don't want to pay $45 every time I sign up for something.

I often find that gyms will let you try a class for free. I would certainly ask.

In my experience TRX is quite energetic. We did have people try our class and give up.

On the other hand it is like all exercise classes, you do what you can.

I definitely think a careful plan would be good for you, either with a doc or trainer who is knowledgable. Not all are. I wonder if the clinic you go to might be of some help in referring you to someone.

You have come a long way, no need to push it and take a step back by mistake

Yes, we bring our passports and the whole bus (and multiple busses) goes into US customs, passport in hand. They do very quick checks and we are on our way. Walking back through Canada customs, another quick check is done, and a "Have a good day Nancy!" and again, we are on our way.
that's pretty neet :3 would love to experience that sometime

i had a grandfather who lived in fort francis, on (there is byootiful country around there, a drive through many lakes with the road somehow sauntering through the lakes with little islands with bits of forest on them like a necklace?)...right across from international falls (which has a really bizarre multiway intersection, each roadway coming in at a different angle and elevation). i remember the border crossing being quaint -- a shack at the beginning of a bridge...

I would just do it with a trainer to start. They offer 25 and 50 min classes, so if one-on-one goes ok, I could start with the shorter class. I'll also bring my meds with me, if I do go. I'll start with a 15 min free consultation to find out if they are willing to even work with me. I did an hour dance class and stayed for 3 hours of social dancing (although a fair amount of sitting songs out), so hopefully this will be ok!
Generally, I find doctor's offices aren't great for recommending anything like this, unless it's just a particular activity. At the clinic they really support doing as much as you can.

My previous experience will hopefully help me modify the class to what's healthy for me. Slow down to half the pace, modify the movement, etc. The big issue I have right now is just judging what's going to cause a flareup later, as what I can do one day is fine, but isn't the next, and I don't always get the warning signs until after the fact.

I've been cycling for a few years now, but got really seriously into it about 2 years ago. I bought a hybrid bike last year so I could do trails and road cycling to work and for longer rides. In February, I bought a road bike (Felt Z5, full carbon so it's nice and light). I'm usually out for 2 to two and a half hours most days of the week. I'm doing a cycling event from July 20-25, cycling from Regina to Winnipeg. This event is to raise funds for inner city projects. I'm also in a 100km ride in August for Habitat For Humanity. Also, I'm participating in a duathlon in August (2.5km run, 20km bike ride followed by a 5km run). Needless to say, I've been training....A LOT!!! So most of my exercise is outdoors on a bike or running. In rainy weather, I go to the gym and use the treadmill or elliptical and also throw some weights around. In the winter, I use the elliptical I have at home and this winter I'm doing some cross country skiing.

I've been slipping recently. Got back on the treadmill to great fanfare but I've kind of petered out this week. Part of the problem is that I really only have time to exercise in the evening and I'm also rather worn out by evening.

Ugh, I'm feeling frustrated. My personal trainer is mostly working with a gym now, all her classes are done.
I've emailed back and forth with someone, watched a class, participated in a class.
Now she's asking for a doctors note that explains all my limitations and what I can/can't do. GP on maternity leave so I have random fill-in doctors that keep changing.
I can't state clearly what I can/can't do. It changes. I certainly know more than my doctors when it comes to that though. I can also give a better answer for a specific moment in time rather than overall.
I would really love it if I could get an answer like my heart rate needs to stay under x, or I can do a, b and c, but not d, e and f. Those answers don't exist though, with a few exceptions. I can't do high impact. I can't do HIIT. I can do interval training, just not at HIIT exertion levels. No doctor has told me those things, I had to figure it out.

So ChemGal - do you think it would be feasible to write your own letter & then just ask the doc to sign it? I've seen that happen sometimes.

I was happy to get back to my weekly nordic pole walking group this morning. My other activities conflicted timewise with this group. I was missing seeing the walkers, so it was a warm welcome back which I appreciated. It was a hot day, but we walk near the lake & there was a pretty good breeze on the lake loop; then I switched to the trail by the creek, which is was all shaded :) Steamy day tho!

Mostly I've been gardening - that's my main summertime exercise - lots of squats, bending, stretching, lifting, gripping, carrying weights (watering cans, bags of soil) :)

So ChemGal - do you think it would be feasible to write your own letter & then just ask the doc to sign it? I've seen that happen sometimes.
I got a note, and I guess it's only if it's a form or an exam required that they charge.

My morning routine now (helps with my anxiety)
wake up 630
hot then cold shower
14 min walk to Rec Centre
Swim 10 laps. Working up to more
Soak in hot tub
Then 45 min meditation in bare feet on soil or concrete
It was so much easier when I was younger. Exercuse was easy (run! swim! clamber!) Now I have to be Intentional aboot it lol

Good for you to resurrect this conversation. I am also intentional about my exercise. I generally stretch for half an hour every day, and make sure I get in about 8000 steps. Sometimes I use the exercise bike too. Today I ran and walked and pushed the stroller of a two year old...easy to get 8000 steps today!

Back