Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Alberta will be delaying the scheduling too it looks like. I hope they stick to the plan as before with informed consent (although I don't know, maybe that was built in to the consent where the 2nd dose schedule may change).

I think the 'fantastic data' isn't actually about the effectiveness of the 2nd booster waiting that long, it's just all about getting everyone vaccinated as fast as possible.
I would feel much better if there was at least a comparison showing titers of people getting the 2nd dose at 12 weeks vs. 4 weeks. Wait a few weeks after that 2nd dose for it to kick in to take those samples. Maybe it's been done, but no one is really mentioning where to look. It's difficult to narrow search terms enough and it may be unpublished data being shared between governments.

I understand they're learning that people continue to develop a good immunity when they're waiting longer for the second dose. The second dose only bumps the immunity up a smidge. If that's the case I'm all for delaying the second dose so more people can get vaccinated.

Last edited:
I agree with you though, a quick statement about the need to make short term decisions based on what vaccines are available and who they are suitable to would at least help (somewhat

They've already made that clear. What they haven't made clear is how the health condition folks fit in the queue. They can of course clarify that this is also dependent on the suitability of the available vaccine for those people

They've already made that clear. What they haven't made clear is how the health condition folks fit in the queue. They can of course clarify that this is also dependent on the suitability of the available vaccine for those people
I think there's a lot of different scenarios planned in the background. Here they haven't even mentioned yet what health conditions will be used for the prioritized criteria.
I agree, it would be nice to know but I'm ok with waiting to find out when there is just so much that is changing.

I understand they're learning that people continue to develop a good immunity when they're waiting longer for the second dose. The second dose only bumps the immunity up a snidge. If that's the case I'm all for delaying the second dose so more people can get vaccinated.
It's not just about the immediate effectiveness though, it's about the long haul too. What allows someone to still have decent protection after 8 months, 12?? While comparing titers in the short terms doesn't give that information directly, the indirect evidence if the booster timing gives similar titer results it would at least suggest a similar immune response.
We don't want immunity to drop off before we finish vaccinating everyone and have people becoming infected. mutations occurring with low but existent immunity levels and vaccine resistant strains going around.

Direct question today about who will get the AstraZeneca vaccine which may arrive next week - answer is information to come. I don't think they want to announce until it's confirmed when we will have them.

I think there's a lot of different scenarios planned in the background. Here they haven't even mentioned yet what health conditions will be used for the prioritized criteria.

BC has mentioned what health conditions will be prioritized. I have stated that four times before. I am in one of those groups. BC does have a different plan from AB. And as I've said, I'd like to know where they fit in phase three group. I do realize I will be told when it is my turn. I outlined my reasons for wanting to have a guesstimate in my post above

Clinically vulnerable in BC

It's not just about the immediate effectiveness though, it's about the long haul too. What allows someone to still have decent protection after 8 months, 12?? While comparing titers in the short terms doesn't give that information directly, the indirect evidence if the booster timing gives similar titer results it would at least suggest a similar immune response.
We don't want immunity to drop off before we finish vaccinating everyone and have people becoming infected. mutations occurring with low but existent immunity levels and vaccine resistant strains going around.

I am watching Dr Henry's briefing now. She is speaking about the interval between doses and how they came up with the time frame they did. It's not etched in stone and was based on relatively limited data. They are now using "real world data" to learn more which is great. The BC CDC has excellent researchers who have been doing this type of work for years. You may find it helpful to hear her explain this directly.

BC has mentioned what health conditions will be prioritized. I have stated that four times before. I am in one of those groups. BC does have a different plan from AB. And as I've said, I'd like to know where they fit in phase three group. I do realize I will be told when it is my turn. I outlined my reasons for wanting to have a guesstimate in my post above

I'm aware there are differences. I think there are also similar reasons for not giving specifics too

I am watching Dr Henry's briefing now. She is speaking about the interval between doses and how they came up with the time frame they did. It's not etched in stone and was based on relatively limited data. They are now using "real world data" to learn more which is great. The BC CDC has excellent researchers who have been doing this type of work for years. You may find it helpful to hear her explain this directly.

I'll watch that later.

Apparently the AZ vaccine which is due to arrive today is intended for under 65. Yet Tam says anyone?

and it expires in a month. So one million doses the news said, yet almost expired. And all provinces are doing elderly first. So what do they do with this? I hope they still have enough health care workers and police to use it up. Otherwise Do they suddenly switch plans? Not old people but teachers?

premiere of Nova Scotia, I think, was on the news saying they are discussing whether to take these doses. Who knows. Confusing

Perhaps the about to expire doses can be used for younger people working with the public. Though I suspect that is a bit harder to organize

You should be among the first group, imo. I don't qualify on this list - the types of things that make me vulnerable aren't clinical/ medical enough. Being stuck alone trying to self isolate if I get sick, without help or guarantee of cooperation where I live, doesn't count.

Perhaps the about to expire doses can be used for younger people working with the public. Though I suspect that is a bit harder to organize

I believe that's what BC is doing to some degree. They also said they will use whatever vaccines they get.

You should be among the first group, imo. I don't qualify on this list - the types of things that make me vulnerable aren't clinical/ medical enough. Being stuck alone trying to self isolate if I get sick, without help or guarantee of cooperation where I live, doesn't count.

I'm thinking the same. It would be easier to know if I weren't in that group because of age. I appreciate that they've done this. I agree, there are other people who are vulnerable for reasons besides age who should also be considered.

Well, if you'd like us to keep working in the grocery stores you need, for minimum wage, then yeah...

I self-isolated for two weeks from his store, at my boss's request, despite the fact that the Health Unit specifically told me I didn't have to. (Now, I did go, elsewhere, once or twice to acquire essentials, because, duh, the Health Unit said I was cool.) However, our bi-annual "employee discount days" (where you get 10% off, and I use it to acquire large quantities of critter food and litter, thus at least cutting out most of the tax...) fell during my self-isolation. Did I get any offer of compensation, on top of my voluntary two week's loss of wages? Not a chance. Hah.

Other employees are worse off in that they have/live with elderly parents/grandparents. Front line workers would be great candidates for these shots not tested properly on those over 65 (and which have a month before they expire).

I think here it will go to 50 to 65 Indigenous and Metis people first aling with some healthcare workers under 65. I mentioned the age thing already it's approved for all adults but it's recommended for adults under 65 due to lack of data to know how well it works in older adults. Alberta already announced it will not be used for those over 65 but won't say the plans until it's verified what we will get. Haven't heard the update for today though.

They dropped the ball on getting vaccines. And it is stunning that people are still happy with the government. Stunning

Alberta is joining the four months between doses group. Alberta to delay second doses

I also got clarification of when I can expect to get my first dose. I'll be able to register online later this month for early April. That is earlier than for my age group.

Back