Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
BC has put certain health conditions in Phase 3 no matter the age. Otherwise, age is the primary factor. Two other provinces (don't remember which ones) have also included health in the similar category.

I do understand that some details can't be given at this point given the uncertainty of how much vaccine will be available. I don't think it's unreasonable to explain how health fits in with age better. It looks like I could get dose 1 in April instead of June if all goes according to the current plan.

Screenshot_20210302-105155_Samsung Internet.jpg

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Dr. Henry made a statement that suggested 12 weeks was better for all the approved vaccines I looked for where that information came from for a bit yesterday and couldn't then came across this today. Seems like she's applying data from the AstraZeneca vaccine to the mRNA ones or there's more information but would be nice if it was cited if so.
This looks to me like BC is trying to breed its own mutation.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
BC has put certain health conditions in Phase 3 no matter the age. Otherwise, age is the primary factor. Two other provinces (don't remember which ones) have also included health in the similar category.

I do understand that some details can't be given at this point given the uncertainty of how much vaccine will be available. I don't think it's unreasonable to explain how health fits in with age better. It looks like I could get dose 1 in April instead of June if all goes according to the current plan.

View attachment 4644

I'm not totally understanding you. Are you hoping that people who are older with health conditions get bumped up higher ie. 2 factors? I think that may get confusing with the messaging that goes out, especially based on vaccine criteria. Earlier on it's not like 75 year old doctors were vaccinated before 40 year old doctors. As for complicated - the media can't even get the phases straight Global was claiming Alberta was booking/vaccinating phase 2A last week, not true it was phase 1B.

Alberta does have health conditions in phase 2B but the criteria isn't outlined yet.

Northwind

I'm not totally understanding you. Are you hoping that people who are older with health conditions get bumped up higher ie. 2 factors? I think that may get confusing with the messaging that goes out, especially based on vaccine criteria. Earlier on it's not like 75 year old doctors were vaccinated before 40 year old doctors. As for complicated - the media can't even get the phases straight Global was claiming Alberta was booking/vaccinating phase 2A last week, not true it was phase 1B.

Alberta does have health conditions in phase 2B but the criteria isn't outlined yet.

BC has put those people with certain health issues in category three. So anyone between 69 and 16 will be in that group. I am in that group by virtue of my age. It looks like my health status puts me in the earlier phase of that category where my age would put me at the later phase of that category.

This is not about hoping for anything. It's about clarifying what they have stated.

This is not about what media is reporting. I saw the briefing yesterday and also looked on the BC Gov website. BC is different from Alberta.

Northwind

This looks to me like BC is trying to breed its own mutation.

People like Dr Henry and the other doctors speaking on this would say the research supports this. There are researchers in BC as well as other places.

I can't speak to the validity of that, other than BC does have some excellent researchers.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
BC has put those people with certain health issues in category three. So anyone between 69 and 16 will be in that group. I am in that group by virtue of my age. It looks like my health status puts me in the earlier phase of that category where my age would put me at the later phase of that category.

This is not about hoping for anything. It's about clarifying what they have stated.

This is not about what media is reporting. I saw the briefing yesterday and also looked on the BC Gov website. BC is different from Alberta.
What needs clarifying at this point?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Big announcement from President Biden. For the first time in my life, I think I could handle being an American.:D

ChemGal

One with keen eye
People like Dr Henry and the other doctors speaking on this would say the research supports this.
People can say anything though., What are the data? Where are the citations? I think the AstraZeneca data may be their justification and it's being extrapolated.

Northwind

What needs clarifying at this point?

For the third time. I am in that group because of my age and because of my health status. It looks like my health status means I'll be able to get the vaccine earlier in the phase than what I would based on my age. Why is that difficult to understand?

Northwind

People can say anything though., What are the data? Where are the citations? I think the AstraZeneca data may be their justification and it's being extrapolated.

I'm sure they would provide data. It seems you don't like Dr Henry. I get that. That being said, she has a long history working public health and is very research oriented.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I'm sure they would provide data. It seems you don't like Dr Henry. I get that. That being said, she has a long history working public health and is very research oriented.
I don't dislike Dr. Henry, I can be critical of decisions without disliking the person. I think she's made a lot of good decisions.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
For the third time. I am in that group because of my age and because of my health status. It looks like my health status means I'll be able to get the vaccine earlier in the phase than what I would based on my age. Why is that difficult to understand?
Nothing with that post.
This
There is nothing (that I can see) to clarify how the health people will fit in with the age groups. Does my health status make be get the vaccine sooner than I would if only based on my age. I'm a little disappointed in the briefing from yesterday. It was supposed to spell out how vaccines would be delivered. It only spelled out phase two which is people over 80. There was minimal information about the next phases.
Is what I was confused about.

Lastpointe

While Americans will all done by the end of May we remain stagnant. A few hundred thousand here or there. I million here or there. while in fact 50 million doses are more or less needed.

I suspect people will start organizing bus trips to the USA for shots

ChemGal

One with keen eye
You're going to have to explain. I have no idea what is confusing about that.
I'm just misunderstanding you. What were you disappointed about? Was there something you thought should have been clarified and wasn't?

Northwind

I'm just misunderstanding you. What were you disappointed about? Was there something you thought should have been clarified and wasn't?

I'll try again. I thought I've been pretty clear. BC announced that they were going to outline their plan to vaccinate all BC residents who wanted vaccines. They merely focused on the next stage. There's nothing wrong with that, just advertise it that way. I realize that there are unknowns because they can't control the supply of vaccines.

I watched it expecting to learn when I would have a guesstimate of when I might get the vaccine. I doubt I was alone with that. I didn't really get that.

BC is distributing the vaccine according to age. They add another factor in phase three, health status for certain groups who are between ages 69 and 16. Health is an anomaly that needs to be explained. They've been very clear about stating five year descending age groups. So, people of 90, followed by people over 85, the 80, etc. Where does health status fit in. I am assuming that my health status puts me earlier in phase 3 and that age could be a factor. Assumptions aren't always, or often, correct. That is what needs to be clarified. There are many questions here: are they prioritizing by health condition? Ie, do people receiving chemo get vaccinated first ahead of those with kidney problems? What part does age play in this? Those questions need to be answered. A simple short paragraph in their website would be enough. A simple short statement in the briefing. It doesn't need a big explanation. It does need some clarification to explain this detour from age based prioritizing.

I went from looking forward to getting a vaccine because I'm vulnerable to learning I probably couldn't get it because I'm immunocompromised. Then I learned I would be able to get it, but according to my age. Health status would not have an impact. Now health status does have an impact. What kind of impact does it have.

I'd like to know because we're HOPING to go to Ontario this summer. Of course that is if it is safe, etc. If I can get it in April or May, I can get it here. If I can get it in June, I'll need to find out if I can get it in another city. If I can't get it until July and we are able to go to Ontario, I'll wait until September.

If that isn't clear be specific about what is confusing.

Northwind

Agreed. I must say that the congruence of the "new research" and an obvious Canadian shortage of vaccines feels 'suspect', let's say?

I agree it's suspect to some degree. At the same time, they are collecting more information as more people get vaccinated. That information will go into the data pool. Sure, some will complain it is a big experiment when in fact, it's not uncommon to learn as treatments are given

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I'll try again. I thought I've been pretty clear. BC announced that they were going to outline their plan to vaccinate all BC residents who wanted vaccines. They merely focused on the next stage. There's nothing wrong with that, just advertise it that way. I realize that there are unknowns because they can't control the supply of vaccines.

I watched it expecting to learn when I would have a guesstimate of when I might get the vaccine. I doubt I was alone with that. I didn't really get that.

BC is distributing the vaccine according to age. They add another factor in phase three, health status for certain groups who are between ages 69 and 16. Health is an anomaly that needs to be explained. They've been very clear about stating five year descending age groups. So, people of 90, followed by people over 85, the 80, etc. Where does health status fit in. I am assuming that my health status puts me earlier in phase 3 and that age could be a factor. Assumptions aren't always, or often, correct. That is what needs to be clarified. There are many questions here: are they prioritizing by health condition? Ie, do people receiving chemo get vaccinated first ahead of those with kidney problems? What part does age play in this? Those questions need to be answered. A simple short paragraph in their website would be enough. A simple short statement in the briefing. It doesn't need a big explanation. It does need some clarification to explain this detour from age based prioritizing.

I went from looking forward to getting a vaccine because I'm vulnerable to learning I probably couldn't get it because I'm immunocompromised. Then I learned I would be able to get it, but according to my age. Health status would not have an impact. Now health status does have an impact. What kind of impact does it have.

I'd like to know because we're HOPING to go to Ontario this summer. Of course that is if it is safe, etc. If I can get it in April or May, I can get it here. If I can get it in June, I'll need to find out if I can get it in another city. If I can't get it until July and we are able to go to Ontario, I'll wait until September.

If that isn't clear be specific about what is confusing.
I think a big part of the reason is the lack of information is because we don't know what vaccines are coming when. What if something new gets approved quickly but it's not good for people on immunosuppressants but is great for people with other health risk factors?

I agree with you though, a quick statement about the need to make short term decisions based on what vaccines are available and who they are suitable to would at least help (somewhat). Alberta had stuck to statements about it depending on supply for quite some time and there was a lot of criticism about a lack of a plan.

It could be possible waiting to do the 2nd dose is more effective - but that's not something we should just be guessing on with making these decisions IMO.

Last edited: