Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Not brave, just a lazy bachelor! Sigh! :cautious: O well, I've scheduled my Pfizer booster jab on Dec. 1.
I understand the wish to support someone in need. Since you are the employer, you set the rules. You could provide medical masks, gloves and make sure you ventilate well during that time.

Mendalla

Agnostic pan(en)theist gorilla
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Not brave, just a lazy bachelor! Sigh! :cautious: O well, I've scheduled my Pfizer booster jab on Dec. 1.
Starting to wonder when boosters for my group (over 50 and diabetic) will begin in Ontario. I'll hit six months post-second shot in January.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Starting to wonder when boosters for my group (over 50 and diabetic) will begin in Ontario. I'll hit six months post-second shot in January.
I don't think most places take covid risk factors into prioritizing boosters, it was waning immunity. Not sure if diabetes is a factor?
You'll hit the booster timeframe sooner than general population though, because of being a priority group for 1st/2nd dose timing.

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Not sure if diabetes is a factor?
It was originally due to diabetics being more prone to severe COVID, though Ontario's approach meant that I ended up getting my shot based on age in the end. Diabetes wasn't prioritized as high as some other conditions.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
It was originally due to diabetics being more prone to severe COVID, though Ontario's approach meant that I ended up getting my shot based on age in the end. Diabetes wasn't prioritized as high as some other conditions.
Ah, right. Yeah here if you lived at home you either counted for having a listed condition or not, I forgot ON had teirs of conditions.

It will be interesting to see what booster timing will be for those whose immunity levels don't have a risk factor for dropping off faster. I'm thinking maybe 8 months to e year and maybe more the younger the age group.

AB is doing healthcare workers but it's those who were under 8 weeks between doses.

Will also be interesting about 4th booster doses. CDC has said immunocompromised people should get them 6 months after 3rd dose. Canada has time as 3rd doses started in Sept if IRC. Still, a bit of time to figure it out but we'll probably be doing 3rd and 4th doses at the same time for 2 different groups uf we use that guideline.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Is Ontario doing the boosters six months after the second shot?
I don't think any province is yet for non-reduced immunity situations - althoughonly referringto mRNA ones. AZ J&J are different. AB is doing healthcare workers who had their 2 doses under 8 weeks apart, but not healthcare workers in general.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
I don't think any province is yet for non-reduced immunity situations - althoughonly referringto mRNA ones. AZ J&J are different. AB is doing healthcare workers who had their 2 doses under 8 weeks apart, but not healthcare workers in general.

BC is doing it by age the way they did initially. That means non-reduced immunity folks will be able to get their booster six months after their second dose as I mentioned above

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
BC is doing it by age the way they did initially. That means non-reduced immunity folks will be able to get their booster six months after their second dose as I mentioned above
But are they aren't doing 6 months for people with the max mRNA protection, are they? Ie. Say a young healthy healthcare worker who had their 2nd dose in May, which was at the extended time from from their 1st?

ETA, I do see this:

January 2022 onwards: Everyone in B.C.​

Starting in January 2022, people 18 years and older will get a booking invitation between 6 to 8 months after the date of their second dose. First and second vaccine doses will continue to protect you from COVID-19 until you get a booster dose.

I think we're still in a bit of a wait and see situation, I don't think we'll be hitting 6 months for a lot of people.
For example, I had my 2nd dose in May. I got my 3rd dose due to medication, if I wasn't one that though, there is currently no specific plan here. I think a good number of people will be closer to the 9 month mark rather than the 6.

In BC, they aren't even at 8 months now with healthcare workers, it's past that, and those who had their 2nd dose prior to March 15 are in the same situation as what's happening in AB for 3rd doses and health care workers - they don't have the max protection from the 2 doses.

Last edited:

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Oof there's a lot in today's update. Moderna higher risk of myocardititis, so changes for those under 29. Changes to dosing schedule (minor) kids booking, travel vaccine proof update available tomorrow. ANd I haven't finished the whoe thing yet!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Some things I don't understand as they are being presented by the media.
One is Alberta is behind on the kids vaccinations. We got the vaccines today, they still need to be distributed. We didn't pre-arrange bookings, as there were issues in the past with that when vaccine doses were in shortage, as delays threw off the bookings. We had pre-registration around the time flu vaccines showed up in Oct. Bookings start tomorrow, appointments begin on Friday. To me that seems like a reasonable timeframe while balancing speed with not causing a bunch of multiple schedule adjustments being needed.

The other is that it's not being done in schools (yet). I think for now, with limited supply that would actually hurt the families who need the kids vaccinated the most. When things like risks, monitoring, medications, avoiding large schools, etc. are looked at, who would that exclude?

I do hope school vaccine clinics happen, but not with some of the first deliveries.

Last edited:

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
To me that seems like a reasonable timeframe while balancing speed with not causing a bunch of multiple schedule adjustments being needed.
Similar to Ontario. Bookings started today, shots start going in arms Thursday. Only problem I have heard about so far is that you can't do multiple bookings so parents of multiple kids are finding they aren't able to get them all on the same day, let alone same time slot.

paradox3

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
My granddaughter is an only so her mom didn't have that problem. My daughter was in the queue for about half an hour and was able to get an appointment at a very convenient time. Her region doesn't use the provincial portal.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Similar to Ontario. Bookings started today, shots start going in arms Thursday. Only problem I have heard about so far is that you can't do multiple bookings so parents of multiple kids are finding they aren't able to get them all on the same day, let alone same time slot.
Ooh, that's an annoying problem. Hopefully with registering over a month ago that type of thing was already examined here and that it can be easily rectified there soon!

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
My granddaughter is an only so her mom didn't have that problem. My daughter was in the queue for about half an hour and was able to get an appointment at a very convenient time. Her region doesn't use the provincial portal.
Middlesex-London Health Unit does that. I only know one person with multiple kids right now. One of my team at work has three, though his eldest might be 12 now so already done.

Northwind

But are they aren't doing 6 months for people with the max mRNA protection, are they? Ie. Say a young healthy healthcare worker who had their 2nd dose in May, which was at the extended time from from their 1st?

I tried looking for healthcare workers. It's late. I'll have more success earlier in the day. As far as I remember from the briefings, health workers are getting theirs six months after their second shot. Health workers are a separate category and don't go by age

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I tried looking for healthcare workers. It's late. I'll have more success earlier in the day. As far as I remember from the briefings, health workers are getting theirs six months after their second shot. Health workers are a separate category and don't go by age
The link I posted just said those who got their dose before March 15.

Health care workers​

Get a booster from your employer or at a clinic.

Eligibility​

• Health care workers who received their second dose on or before March 15

Northwind

The link I posted just said those who got their dose before March 15.

Health care workers​

Get a booster from your employer or at a clinic.

Eligibility​

• Health care workers who received their second dose on or before March 15

I don't fully understand your point. You said that younger health workers will have to wait for their booster. I responded telling you they are in a different category. This quote supports that.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I don't fully understand your point. You said that younger health workers will have to wait for their booster. I responded telling you they are in a different category. This quote supports that.
I didn't just say it was those who weren't healthy. Prior to March 15 the 2 doses were being given closer together. AB is giving 3rd doses to those health care workers too, even if the 2nd dose was more recent than March 15 - as long as it was a done at least 6 months ago.
March 15 also puts it to over 8 months.

Northwind

I didn't just say it was those who weren't healthy. Prior to March 15 the 2 doses were being given closer together. AB is giving 3rd doses to those health care workers too, even if the 2nd dose was more recent than March 15 - as long as it was a done at least 6 months ago.
March 15 also puts it to over 8 months.

I still don't understand. What does unhealthy have to do with anything? BC is giving third doses in the same order as they did first. That means health workers are getting vaccinated.