Class war?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I find the word spinster somewhat offensive. I would never call a woman a spinster. The term is no longer politically correct. Think positive Kimmio.

I used the word in a school paper once. That was away back in 3rd grade.

I find the word spinster somewhat offensive. I would never call a woman a spinster. The term is no longer politically correct. Think positive Kimmio.

But your feelings are just as offensive as the word, dreamerman. You feel that a positive outcome for Kimmio would be to be coupled...that might not be her preference. It is not mine. I am a "voluntary, delighted-to-be-so spinster".

Spin-stir- weave ... create that delicate network that the brutes do not understand ... a subtlety ... the powerful feeling overlooks it ... Sai Dan?

But your feelings are just as offensive as the word, dreamerman. You feel that a positive outcome for Kimmio would be to be coupled...that might not be her preference. It is not mine. I am a "voluntary, delighted-to-be-so spinster".
Where did I say I that? When I said think positive it had nothing to do with her finding a mate. It was just in general, think positive. I associated the word spinster as not a positive word in today's world. If you want to use the word spinster for yourself Bette that is your prerogative.

I was thinking of two, but that's "never" married. Both Kimmio and I have tried the institution; I did not like it much. Our correct term, legally, is divorcee...

Reactions: Jae
I was thinking of two, but that's "never" married. Both Kimmio and I have tried the institution; I did not like it much. Our correct term, legally, is divorcee...

Marriage isn't for everyone, it's true. I had a couple of single aunts, wonderful people. One of them always seemed quite happy to never have gotten married. It allowed her to travel, and be more devoted she felt to her calling as a teacher. My other aunt, though, I feel always kind of regretted that she had never gotten hitched.

The speaker makes the point that the two groups or classes are culturally different. The upper middle-class look to expectations, whilst the lower middle-classes look to self-discipline as the best way to manage their lives. That's because money is their major concern - not for them expensive lunches or breakfasts, let alone overseas holidays.
In other words expectations are just as remote as breaking through glass ceilings to middle America.

Perhaps there are many in this category in Canada (and I know there are in Australia) that you are not aware of?
I'm not suggesting the lower middle class (and I question the use of middle class based on some of the descriptions, especially if applied to other countries) doesn't exist here. It's the lack of desire to switch occupations from one generation to the next I'm questioning.

Maybe one's fondness for the series Shameless should be some sort of criteria. In my experience, those who have spent up close and personal time with poverty, addiction, homelessness, etc., tend to find this series humorous. Those who have not are a bit more prone to find it vulgar.

I'm not suggesting the lower middle class (and I question the use of middle class based on some of the descriptions, especially if applied to other countries) doesn't exist here. It's the lack of desire to switch occupations from one generation to the next I'm questioning.

Is it just desire -or ability? We can't all become tech/financial experts (Hell, I still can't understand multi-quoting!)

Is it just desire -or ability? We can't all become tech/financial experts (Hell, I still can't understand multi-quoting!)
I made exceptions for the groups where ability might be a factor already. There's much more than tech and financial occupations that would be included.
Can you give an example to someone who I wouldn't have included?

Divined as short form of forming a void? In Welsh ... daffydas ... a field of it'sown ... naturally ..

Where did I say I that? When I said think positive it had nothing to do with her finding a mate. It was just in general, think positive. I associated the word spinster as not a positive word in today's world. If you want to use the word spinster for yourself Bette that is your prerogative.
I used it for myself.

I'm not a divorcee. Still just separated for a long time, long distance. I still love him - he's still important to me - but I am not too traditional. Maybe at some point we'll work out some other amicable arrangement that is non-typical.

I'm not a divorcee. Still just separated for a long time, long distance. I still love him - he's still important to me - but I am not too traditional. Maybe at some point we'll work out some other amicable arrangement that is non-typical.

Apologies for misapplying a term to you, Kimmio.

I've wondered; now that my ex-husband is dead, do I get to claim widow? Or spinster? Or single? Or am I eternally a divorcee unless I re-marry (a highly unlikely eventuality...)?

Apologies for misapplying a term to you, Kimmio.

I've wondered; now that my ex-husband is dead, do I get to claim widow? Or spinster? Or single? Or am I eternally a divorcee unless I re-marry (a highly unlikely eventuality...)?

Imho, "single," or, "divorcee."

I made exceptions for the groups where ability might be a factor already. There's much more than tech and financial occupations that would be included.
Can you give an example to someone who I wouldn't have included?

This comment of mine was a general one -it wasn't specifically addressing you........ What I'm trying to get at is that there are lots of folk working hard on very low wages in menial jobs.. when the job ends -often due to technological changes - they don't have many choices available to them that pay a decent wage. Further education requires money -and also ability. (We like to think that everyone has the same ability - but I don't believe it's true.)

Back