Bible Study Thread: Luke

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reflection: Luke 22: 1 - 34

As Jesus eats the Passover meal with His disciples, they are a very human group of people. They are suspicious of each other and competitive, wanting to know who among them is the greatest. Jesus is aware that he will be betrayed by one of them and that Peter will deny him three times before morning.

The text tells us that Satan has been active, too. He has entered into Judas Iscariot and is doing his best to try to cause discord among the twelve (sifting them like wheat, presumably to separate them from each other).

But Jesus continues to teach and lead the disciples as he has always done. He is both servant and leader.

He confers on the disciples a kingdom, just as his Father conferred a kingdom on Him. Often in His ministry, Jesus spoke about the kingdom as a future, end times event. But on a few occasions, he told the people the kingdom was already among them.

We see a very Jewish Jesus here at the Passover meal. The disciples are not like the Gentiles, he tells them. In the kingdom, the disciples will sit on thrones to judge the tribes of Israel.

Luke 22:1-34 (GW)

The Plot to Kill Jesus
22 The Festival of Unleavened Bread, called Passover, was near. 2 The chief priests and the experts in Moses’ Teachings were looking for some way to kill Jesus. However, they were afraid of the people.

3 Then Satan entered Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve apostles. 4 Judas went to the chief priests and the temple guards and discussed with them how he could betray Jesus. 5 They were pleased and agreed to give him some money. 6 So Judas promised to do it. He kept looking for an opportunity to betray Jesus to them when there was no crowd.

unsafe says ----OH BOY ---here we go ---this dreaded word everybody hates and many disbelieve he even exists is mentioned here ----Satan enters Judas who is one of the 12 ------We see Judas's evil deed done to get Jesus captured by his greed serving his god who is money in this case -----and we see Judas keeps watch on his opportunity to turn Jesus in -------

Here is the thing here ---Jesus knew the hearts of the 12 when He picked them ---and Judas was picked as one of the 12 -----

The Passover

7 The day came during the Festival of Unleavened Bread when the Passover lamb had to be killed. 8 Jesus sent Peter and John and told them, “Go, prepare the Passover lamb for us to eat.”

9 They asked him, “Where do you want us to prepare it?”

10 He told them, “Go into the city, and you will meet a man carrying a jug of water. Follow him into the house he enters. 11 Tell the owner of the house that the teacher asks, ‘Where is the room where I can eat the Passover meal with my disciples?’ 12 He will take you upstairs and show you a large furnished room. Get things ready there.”

13 The disciples left. They found everything as Jesus had told them and prepared the Passover.

14 When it was time to eat the Passover meal, Jesus and the apostles were at the table. 15 Jesus said to them, “I’ve had a deep desire to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. 16 I can guarantee that I won’t eat it again until it finds its fulfillment in God’s kingdom.” 17 Then he took a cup and spoke a prayer of thanksgiving. He said, “Take this, and share it. 18 I can guarantee that from now on I won’t drink this wine until God’s kingdom comes.”

unsafe says -----We see that Jesus tells John and Peter to go an prepare for the Passover -------Jesus gives them instructions to look for a man with a jug of water and follow him to his house ------ Jesus is giving them a trial of faith and obedience here in my view and it also shows proof of the omniscience and deity of Jesus Christ ------

unsafe says --We see this is the last Passover meal Jesus will share with His Disciples -----and this puts an end to the Passover meals which the law requires ------there will be a new feast in place ------

Verse 16 ----16 I can guarantee that I won’t eat it again until it finds its fulfillment in God’s kingdom.”

unsafe says ----Jesus is stating here that He will not eat again until the new Passover is offered by His death which brings about the New Kingdom -----Christ will be our Passover sacrificed for us -----and brings an end to the Old ----

Verse 17 -----17 Then he took a cup and spoke a prayer of thanksgiving. He said, “Take this, and share it.

unsafe says ----So we see that This cup Jesus is passing around here is still part of the Passover tradition of the Law --and verse 18 tells us that ----

Verse 18 ----- 18 I can guarantee that from now on I won’t drink this wine until God’s kingdom comes.”

unsafe says ----So Verse 18 tells us that He will not drink again until the New Passover is brought in -----so He is talking here about wine used in the Passover ----- and not wine which represents His shed Blood ----which comes up in verse --20

The Lord’s Supper
19 Then Jesus took bread and spoke a prayer of thanksgiving. He broke the bread, gave it to them, and said, “This is my body, which is given up for you. Do this to remember me.”

20 When supper was over, he did the same with the cup. He said, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new promise[a] made with my blood.”

unsafe says ---this above explains itself ---it is the New Covenant Promises ----the Old Passover Law and all the Laws were about to be Passed History -----

Jesus Knows Who Will Betray Him
21 “The hand of the one who will betray me is with me on the table. 22 The Son of Man is going to die the way it has been planned for him. But how horrible it will be for that person who betrays him.”
23 So they began to discuss with each other who could do such a thing.

unsafe says ----God's plan playing out here and verse 22 tells us this ---------Jesus knows who will betray Him -------and Jesus is saying how terrible it will be for the one who betrays Him -----

An Argument about Greatness
24 Then a quarrel broke out among the disciples. They argued about who should be considered the greatest.

25 Jesus said to them, “The kings of nations have power over their people, and those in authority call themselves friends of the people.

26 But you’re not going to be that way! Rather, the greatest among you must be like the youngest, and your leader must be like a servant.

27 Who’s the greatest, the person who sits at the table or the servant? Isn’t it really the person who sits at the table? But I’m among you as a servant.

28 “You have stood by me in the troubles that have tested me. 29 So as my Father has given me a kingdom, I’m giving it to you. 30 You will eat and drink at my table in my kingdom. You will also sit on thrones and judge the twelve tribes of Israel.”

unsafe says --We see the Disciples arguing who is greater ----Jesus tells them that the one who serves is greater than the one who sits at the table ------

unsafe says -----How unbecoming is the worldly ambition of becoming the greatest when it comes to the character of following Jesus Christ ----the one who washed the feet of the Disciples and humbling Himself to die on the Cross to bring eternal happiness for all ---

Jesus Predicts Peter’s Denial
31 Then the Lord said, “Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demanded to have you apostles for himself. He wants to separate you from me as a farmer separates wheat from husks. 32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith will not fail. So when you recover, strengthen the other disciples.”

33 But Peter said to him, “Lord, I’m ready to go to prison with you and to die with you.”

34 Jesus replied, “Peter, I can guarantee that the rooster won’t crow tonight until you say three times that you don’t know me.”

unsafe says -----Important piece of Scripture here ------as we see how Satan works --------verse 31

31 Then the Lord said, “Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demanded to have you apostles for himself. He wants to separate you from me as a farmer separates wheat from husks.

Some scriptures use the word sift like wheat ----this word in Greek means this ----

Strong's Concordance
siniazo: I sift, prove by trials

; to sift, shake in a sieve: τινα ὡς τόν σῖτον, i. e., dropping the figure, by inward agitation to try one's faith to the verge of overthrow, Luke 22:31.

unsafe says -----Satan will always be after God's children's faith --------to diminish it as best he can ------

We see Jesus says He prayed for Peter that his faith will not fail him ----but it will strengthen on the other side of the trial he is about to endure ------and Jesus tells Peter that he will deny Him 3 times -------

The question I have always had about the betrayal story is simple: Did Judas have a choice? Could he, at any time, have backed down and not betrayed Jesus? Or was it a foregone conclusion that he would do it and he was doomed from the get go?

Judas had an evil heart from the get go ----His heart never became Flesh it was hardened and Jesus knew he would not change his heart even though he was picked as a Disciples ---Judas loved money and money was his god -----and money did him in -----God left Judas to his own desires -----Judas was stealing from the Ministry purse ----Jesus made him treasure of His Ministry ---Judas's faith was being tested and he failed the test ------Satan always had Judas even as a disciple ----

Judas resisted God himself -----Judas had free will to change like we all do ---we can reject or accept God's call -----

HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 4645 sklērýnō – properly, to harden; become inflexible (literally "dried out"); (figuratively) obstinately stubborn, resisting what God says is right. See 4642 (sklēros).

The question I have always had about the betrayal story is simple: Did Judas have a choice? Could he, at any time, have backed down and not betrayed Jesus? Or was it a foregone conclusion that he would do it and he was doomed from the get go?

And now I'm puzzled about the entrance of Satan into this version of the story. We've talked elsewhere about God "hardening hearts" in order to accomplish God's plans. But this is Satan getting involved. Is this Satan helping out God?

I've also noticed another very strange thing about the passage. He's talking to his 12 disciples and promising them a that they will sit on thrones and judge the 12 tribes of Israel. But the 12 he's talking about include Judas.

Judas had an evil heart from the get go ----His heart never became Flesh it was hardened and Jesus knew he would not change his heart even though he was picked as a Disciples ---Judas loved money and money was his god -----and money did him in -----God left Judas to his own desires -----Judas was stealing from the Ministry purse ----Jesus made him treasure of His Ministry ---Judas's faith was being tested and he failed the test ------Satan always had Judas even as a disciple ----

Judas resisted God himself -----Judas had free will to change like we all do ---we can reject or accept God's call -----

HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 4645 sklērýnō – properly, to harden; become inflexible (literally "dried out"); (figuratively) obstinately stubborn, resisting what God says is right. See 4642 (sklēros).
Certainly the Gospel writers and 200 years of tradition have cast Judas as a wholly unredeemed character. How much of that is spin based on the end of the story?

Then who is judging the 12th Tribe? Or did they all hang themselves, too?o_O
Maybe Matthias stepped in after he replaced Judas. :)

According to Luke, Judas did not hang himself. He burst open in the middle and all his bowels rushed out. This took place in the field purchased with the reward of his wickedness. (Acts 1: 18)

Yes, this is a real conundrum.

Matthew 27 New International Version (NIV)
Judas Hangs Himself

5 So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

Certainly the Gospel writers and 200 years of tradition have cast Judas as a wholly unredeemed character. How much of that is spin based on the end of the story?
Watched the documentary produced by ,Simca Jacobovici "Last Days of Jesus" last night....it had a more more political "spin" on the crucifixion story, with some political characters I'd never heard of within the gospel stories. Recommend it, if only for just another possible perspective on why things may have taken place.

Summary: Luke 22: 35 - 71

1. Jesus asked the disciples if they had lacked for anything when he sent them out without a purse, bag or sandals. They reply, "No, not a thing." Now, Jesus counsels, anyone who has a purse or bag must take it. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one. They tell him they have two swords and Jesus says that is enough.

2. Jesus prayed on the Mount of Olives and the disciples were with him. An angel appeared from heaven to give him strength. He prayed more earnestly and his sweat became like drops of blood. When he arose from prayer, he found the disciples asleep due to grief.

3. Suddenly a crowd came and Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss. Those standing around Jesus ask if they should use their swords. One of them struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. Jesus said, "No more of this," and healed the slave.

4. They seized Jesus and took him away. Peter followed at a distance but was identified by a servant girl. Peter denied knowing Jesus and did so twice more. Then he remembered how Jesus had predicted this and he wept bitterly.

5. Jesus was mocked and beaten.

6. Jesus was brought before the council of chief priests and scribes. "Are you the Son of Man," they ask. "You say that I am," responded Jesus. They conclude that they need no further testimony.

Reflection: Luke 22: 35 - 71

Most of this text is paralleled in the other gospels. One unique detail is Jesus healing the ear of the slave of the high priest after it has been cut off.

The questioning by Jesus about purses, bags, sandals and swords is also unique to Luke. Jesus seems to be warning the disciples that the strategies they have used in the past will not work now. When told the disciples have two swords, He replies, "It is enough."

What is Jesus getting at here? Does He mean that two swords will be enough to protect them? Or does He mean enough talk about swords? Interesting that He has just finished instructing the disciples to sell their cloaks and buy swords.

Could this story convey that Jesus himself struggled with the path of non-violence? That even for Jesus it was a difficult choice?

But "No more of this," he says, before healing the slave of the high priest.

I often wonder if Jesus went through a heavy depression during this point...imagine everyone of your friends, or in this case his disciples, standing back and saying nothing in your defence? Sure we hear about Judas and Peter's acts of betrayal but we dont exactly see the other 10 surrounding him with protection either or pleading his innocence. During his grief they all fall asleep instead of providing comfort throughout the night....was it so hard to see that the one who provided comforting now required it himself?
I am reminded how hard it is to be around someone suffering from depression, having been there myself, ultimately Jesus walks this walk Himself....in his darkest hour, no one is walking beside Him. And we are all led to believe that this is what Jesus wanted....cant help but wonder if He had hoped his spoken words of truth should have been enough to save us and how God hates sacrifice.

Another unique detail in Luke's gospel is that the disciples fell asleep from sorrow or grief.

Luke seems to want us to know the disciples were not sleeping due to apathy or disloyalty to Jesus.

Luke also sets the story on the Mount of Olives rather than specifically in the garden of Gethsemane at its foot.

Another unique detail in Luke's gospel is that the disciples fell asleep from sorrow or grief.

Luke seems to want us to know the disciples were not sleeping due to apathy or disloyalty to Jesus.
Um....right, because its all about them ...but okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back