Bible Study Thread: Luke

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final stray thought.

Could this be a "mockery" of a traditional Roman triumph, specifically that awarded to Titus after the sack of Jerusalem? I mean, of we interpret other passages in terms of those events, why not this one?

That's what Borg and Crossan thought. That this was a counter-cultural protest, designed to highlight the upside down nature of God's kin-dom.

(P.S. The character singing with Caiaphas is Annas, another chief priest. P3, cannot believe you've never seen Superstar. I have seen/heard almost every version made. My absolute fav is the "Arena" live version that toured the U.K. I know every word of every song by heart. )

Summary: Luke 19: 41 - 48

As Jesus neared Jerusalem, he wept over it, saying, "If you, even you, had only recognized on this day the things that make for peace!"

The day is coming when enemies will surround Jerusalem and everyone will be crushed to the ground, even the children. Because Jerusalem did not recognize the time of its visitation from God.

Then Jesus entered the temple and drove out those who were selling things there.

Every day he was teaching in the temple. The chief priests, the scribes and the leaders of the people kept looking for a way to kill him. But they could not figure out what to do, because the people were spellbound by what they heard.

Reflection: Luke 19: 41 - 48

Sorry to have split my Palm Sunday summary and reflection into two parts. I hope I haven't confused anyone because this is not my usual practice on these bible study threads.

I went to church this morning and experienced the Palm Sunday jubilation and "parade".

By the end of the service we were considering the cross and what lies ahead. A large wooden cross was brought into the sanctuary and we placed our palms in a wreath around the intersection of the two beams.

So here we are, awaiting the events of Holy Week. Jesus is in danger and the situation is volatile.

Summary: Luke 19: 28 - 40

After telling the parable about the ten pounds, Jesus went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem.

When he came to the place called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of the disciples to the next village to find a colt that has never been ridden. "Untie it, and bring it here," said Jesus.

They brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks on it. They set Jesus on the colt.

As Jesus rode along, people kept throwing their cloaks on the road. As He came down the Mount of Olives, the multitudes began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice. They were saying, "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest heaven."

Some of the Pharisees in the crowd wanted this stopped. But Jesus said, "I tell you, if these were quiet, the stones would shout out."
As I was listening to this in church this morning - a small detail caught my interest - that Jesus asked for a colt that had not been ridden. No mention of a 'donkey' as we commonly now believe. And what I found curious is that a colt that's never been ridden is not usually accepting of someone being placed suddenly upon its back - at least in my limited understanding of such things. But it seems this was not an issue. Anyway - not a monumental thing, but I just found it interesting for a moment or two.

Our minister told a very amusing story of her own experience of being whisked onto the back of waiting donkey by an enterprising tourist trapper - and finding herself unexpectedly lurching along the cobblestones & down a hill then through a gate into Jerusalem.

She also commented on the word Hosanna - that we generally assume it be a word of praise; but there is another meaning also - "Save us" - perhaps shouted as Jesus passed by - save us from our many human foibles, from illness, avarice, arrogance, etc. etc. I had not known of this other meaning.

P3 - we also sang "All Glory Laud & Honour" this morning - as I imagine so many communities of faith did. Interesting to consider your question of which came first - the theology or the hymn lyrics.

@Carolla You've got me flipping through my bible again. :)

The animal ridden by Jesus is one of the details that varies among the gospels.

Matthew talks about a colt and a donkey with Jesus riding them simultaneously, it seems. There is no mention of whether or not they have been ridden before.

Mark has a colt that has never been ridden. Likewise for Luke.
John describes the animal as a young donkey.

I am not very familiar with donkeys but a quick search tells me they are good guardians for sheep. Some of them are too small to be ridden by a fully grown person. And then there is the interesting fact that they can breed with either horses or zebras, usually producing sterile offspring.

Todays scripture

Luke 19:28-40 GW

The King Comes to Jerusalem
28 After Jesus had given this illustration, he continued on his way to Jerusalem.

29 When he came near Bethphage and Bethany at the Mount of Olives (as it was called), Jesus sent two of his disciples ahead of him. 30 He said to them, “Go into the village ahead of you. As you enter, you will find a young donkey tied there. No one has ever sat on it. Untie it, and bring it. 31 If anyone asks you why you are untying it, say that the Lord needs it.”

32 The men Jesus sent found it as he had told them. 33 While they were untying the young donkey, its owners asked them, “Why are you untying the donkey?”

34 The disciples answered, “The Lord needs it.”

35 They brought the donkey to Jesus, put their coats on it, and helped Jesus onto it. 36 As he was riding along, people spread their coats on the road. 37 By this time he was coming near the place where the road went down the Mount of Olives. Then the whole crowd of disciples began to praise God for all the miracles they had seen. 38 They shouted joyfully,

“Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!
Peace in heaven, and glory in the highest heaven.”
39 Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, tell your disciples to be quiet.”

40 Jesus replied, “I can guarantee that if they are quiet, the stones will cry out.”

unsafe says ----We see Jesus entering Jerusalem. ----His triumphs are the praises of His followers -----shouting for joy ----
38 They shouted joyfully,

“Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!
Peace in heaven, and glory in the highest heaven.”

unsafe says ---The young donkey Jesus road had never been used before -----verse 30

unsafe says --as far as the coats on the donkey goes -----this is what this says ----unsafe posting commentary on this

Pulpit Commentary
https://biblehub.com/commentaries/pulpit/luke/19.htm
Verse 35. - They cut their garments upon the colt. "An extemporized housing in default of the purple trappings. Doubtless the fittest of the proffered robes would be selected by the disciples" (Morrison).

unsafe says -----We see the Pharisees are annoyed at the rejoicing and ask Jesus to tell them to stop -----

Jesus answers with this -----40 Jesus replied, “I can guarantee that if they are quiet, the stones will cry out.”

unsafe says ----The Pharisees wanted to stifle the praises for God but they couldn't because Jesus is the chief stone

unsafe posting reference to stone here in

Joshua 24:27
https://biblehub.com/bsb/joshua/24.htm

25On that day Joshua made a covenant for the people, and there at Shechem he established for them a statute and ordinance. 26Joshua recorded these things in the Book of the Law of God. Then he took a large stone and set it up there under the oak that was near the sanctuary of the LORD. 27And Joshua said to all the people, “You see this stone. It will be a witness against us, for it has heard all the words the LORD has spoken to us, and it will be a witness against you if you ever deny your God.”

That's what Borg and Crossan thought. That this was a counter-cultural protest, designed to highlight the upside down nature of God's kin-dom.

(P.S. The character singing with Caiaphas is Annas, another chief priest. P3, cannot believe you've never seen Superstar. I have seen/heard almost every version made. My absolute fav is the "Arena" live version that toured the U.K. I know every word of every song by heart. )
Technicaly Borg and Crosan call the Triumphal entry a piece of street theater in direct contrast to Pilate and the garrison entering Jerusalem from Caesarea on the same day, posibly ot the same time. SO while a contrast to the Triumphant marches in Rome, even more directly to what is nhappening in Judea at that time.

Luke 19:4148 EXB

Jesus Cries for Jerusalem
41 As Jesus came near Jerusalem, he saw the city and ·cried for [wept over] it, 42 saying, “·I wish you [L If you, even you,] ·knew [recognized] today what would bring you peace. But now it is hidden from ·you [L your eyes]. 43 ·The time is coming [L For the days will come upon you] when your enemies will build ·a wall around you [ramparts against your walls] and will ·hold you in [L surround and close you in] on all sides. 44 They will ·destroy you [level you; smash you to the ground] and all your ·people [L children within your walls], and not one stone will be left on another. All this will happen because you did not recognize the time ·when God came to save you [L of your visitation; C the failure to recognize God’s “visit” in Jesus (see 1:68, 78) will result in a divine “visit” in judgment].”

Jesus Goes to the Temple
45 Jesus went into the Temple and began to ·throw [drive] out the people who were selling things there. 46 He said, “It is written in the Scriptures, ‘My ·Temple [L House] will be a house for prayer [Is. 56:7].’ But you have ·changed [made] it into a ‘·hideout for robbers’ [T den of thieves; Jer. 7:11]!”

47 Jesus ·taught [was teaching] in the Temple every day. The ·leading [T chief]priests, the ·experts on the law [scribes], and some of the leaders of the people ·wanted [were looking for a way] to ·kill [destroy] Jesus. 48 But they ·did not know how they could [could not find a way to] do it, because all the people were ·listening closely to him [hanging on his every word].

unsafe says ----we see here Jesus is weeping as He gets closer to the city of Jerusalem------

This word wept in this scripture in the Greek means this -----it is not just a few silent tears ----

HELPS Word-studies
2799 klaíō – properly, weep aloud, expressing uncontainable, audible grief ("audible weeping," WP, 2, 88).

unsafe says ---Jesus is grieving not for what will happen to Him but what it means for the city of Jerusalem------a city He hoped would see what would bring peace but is now hidden from it -----the spiritual blindness that was there with the people and rulers was such that they couldn't discern the real meaning of why He was there ------

This was a turning point for the people --their peace was at stake ----Jesus was rejected and most of the people listened to their leaders ----Jesus heart will always weep for the bringing of Judgment upon His Creation

The people were looking for a Political Messiah and Jesus knew that this would bring great destruction to Jerusalem -the name Jerusalem actually means city of peace ---but peace was not coming there because the city did not know of the things that would make for their peace -----

unsafe says ---He tells them what destruction is coming and tells them why -----

43 ·The time is coming [L For the days will come upon you] when your enemies will build ·a wall around you [ramparts against your walls] and will ·hold you in [L surround and close you in] on all sides. 44 They will ·destroy you [level you; smash you to the ground] and all your ·people [L children within your walls], and not one stone will be left on another. All this will happen because you did not recognize the time ·when God came to save you [L of your visitation; C the failure to recognize God’s “visit” in Jesus will result in a divine “visit” in judgment].”

Verses 45-48 ---Is all about the display of Jesus using righteous anger to rid thieves out of His Father's house ---which was a house of Prayer not buying and selling ---

Summary: Luke 20

Jesus has arrived in Jerusalem and has started to preach every day in the temple.

He is challenged by the chief priests, scribes and elders about the source of his authority but he declines to answer.

Jesus tells the parable of the wicked tenants; the scribes and chief priests realize he is speaking about them. They are outraged and want to lay hands on Jesus immediately, but they fear the people.

Spies, pretending to be honest, watch Jesus. In order to trap him, they ask about paying taxes. Jesus responds, "Give to the emperor the things that are the emperor's, and to God what is God's." The spies are amazed by his answer and become silent.

The Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, try to trap Jesus by asking about it. After Jesus replies, they do not dare to ask him another question.

Jesus poses a question about the Messiah being David's son.

In the hearing of all the people, Jesus cautions the disciples about the scribes. The scribes like to be honored by others and they say long prayers for the sake of appearance.

Reflection: Luke 20

All of the stories told in this chapter have parallels in both Matthew and Mark although they are not sequenced the same way.

How many days do you think passed between the entry of Jesus into Jerusalem and the crucifixion? Because we observe Holy Week as we do, I have always supposed it must have been five days. But scripture tells us he was preaching "every day" and I am wondering now if it might have been a longer period of time.

Luke is such a good storyteller and I like the way he presents this narrative. It gives us a clear picture of the religious authorities becoming more enraged and baffled by Jesus. The crowds are still coming to hear Jesus teach in the temple and He appears to have their support at this point.

Any thoughts about Luke 20?

Luke 20 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
Jewish Leaders Doubt Jesus’ Authority

20 One day Jesus was in the Temple area teaching the people. He was telling them the Good News. The leading priests, teachers of the law, and older Jewish leaders came to talk to Jesus. 2 They said, “Tell us what authority you have to do these things. Who gave you this authority?”

3 Jesus answered, “I will ask you a question too. Tell me: 4 When John baptized people, did his authority come from God or was it only from other people?”

5 The priests, the teachers of the law, and the Jewish leaders all talked about this. They said to each other, “If we answer, ‘John’s baptism was from God,’ then he will say, ‘Then why did you not believe John?’ 6 But if we say that John’s baptism was from someone else, the people will stone us to death. They all believe that John was a prophet.” 7 So they answered, “We don’t know the answer.”

8 So Jesus said to them, “Then I will not tell you who gave me the authority to do these things.”

unsafe says -----So we see Jesus is questioned as to who's authority He has to preach His Gospel ----but Jesus in His wisdom turns the questioning back on to the Leaders of the Law ----and they get scared as to which answer they should give as either answer will bring chaos to them --so they don't answer the question -----and neither does Jesus answer their question of Him ----

Jesus often reversed questions when He was approached by the Leaders and criticized for what He was doing -----the Leaders trying to trap Him were always unsuccessful as Jesus knew their thoughts before they ask ------He was always one step ahead of them in there trap setting ------

They doubted who Jesus was and doubt is a big Factor for many today -----as to who Jesus was and Is today ---Just a Prophet or God in the Flesh -----

the Greek word for doubt -----

Strong's Concordance
distazo: I waver, doubt

Usage: I waver, doubt, hesitate.

HELPS Word-studies
1365 distázō (from 1364 /dís, "two, double" and 4714 /stásis, "stance, standing") – properly, going two ways, shifting between positions; choosing "a double-stance" and hence vacillate (waver); (figuratively) uncertain at a crossroad because refusing to choose one way over the other – "wanting to have our cake and eat it too"; to halt between two opinions (views, beliefs).

God Sends His Son

9 Then Jesus told the people this story: “A man planted a vineyard. He leased the land to some farmers. Then he went away for a long time. 10 Later, it was time for the grapes to be picked. So the man sent a servant to those farmers so that they would give him his share of the grapes. But they beat the servant and sent him away with nothing. 11 So the man sent another servant. They beat this servant too and showed no respect for him. They sent the servant away with nothing. 12 So the man sent a third servant to the farmers. They hurt this servant badly and threw him out.

13 “The owner of the vineyard said, ‘What will I do now? I will send my son. I love my son very much. Maybe the farmers will respect my son.’ 14 When the farmers saw the son, they said to each other, ‘This is the owner’s son. This vineyard will be his. If we kill him, it will be ours.’ 15 So the farmers threw the son out of the vineyard and killed him.

“What will the owner of the vineyard do? 16 He will come and kill those farmers. Then he will lease the land to some other farmers.”

When the people heard this story, they said, “This should never happen!” 17 But Jesus looked into their eyes and said, “Then what does this verse mean:

‘The stone that the builders refused to accept
became the cornerstone’?
18 Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken. If that stone falls on you, it will crush you!”

19 When the teachers of the law and the leading priests heard this story, they knew it was about them. So they wanted to arrest Jesus right then, but they were afraid of what the people would do.

unsafe says ----in short ----this parable speaks to the people who have enmity towards God and aversion to His service and want to live according to the lusts of the flesh and their own desires showing no restraints ------People who believe God's word should make proper use of the advantages of it ----those who reject the Son and those who profess to know Him but produce no good fruits will see their doom in the end -----verses 17and 18

17 But Jesus looked into their eyes and said, “Then what does this verse mean:
The stone that the builders refused to accept
became the cornerstone’?
18 Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken. If that stone falls on you, it will crush you!”

unsafe says ---Jesus is the cornerstone ------

The Jewish Leaders Try to Trick Jesus
20 So the Jewish leaders waited for the right time to get Jesus. They sent some men to him, who pretended to be sincere. They wanted to find something wrong with what Jesus said. (If they found something wrong, then they could hand him over to the governor, who had the authority to arrest him.) 21 So the men said to Jesus, “Teacher, we know that what you say and teach is true. It doesn’t matter who is listening—you teach the same to all people. You always teach the truth about God’s way. 22 Tell us, is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?”

23 But Jesus knew that these men were trying to trick him. He said to them,24 “Show me a silver coin. Whose name and picture are on it?”

They said, “Caesar’s.”

25 He said to them, “Then give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God.”

26 The men were amazed at his wise answer. They could say nothing. They were not able to trick Jesus there in front of the people. He said nothing they could use against him.

unsafe says ----We see because of what Jesus said above ---the Pharisees try once more to trick Jesus ----but again they fail ----all wisdom that comes from above will always direct those who teach the truth about the way of God to avoid the snares laid up for them from the wicked and the truth will be heard clearly so that all oppressors have no evil to say against the truth ---- verses 25-26

25 He said to them, “Then give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God.”

26 The men were amazed at his wise answer. They could say nothing. They were not able to trick Jesus there in front of the people. He said nothing they could use against him.

Some Sadducees Try to Trick Jesus
27 Some Sadducees came to Jesus. (Sadducees believe that people will not rise from death.) They asked him, 28 “Teacher, Moses wrote that if a married man dies and had no children, his brother must marry his widow. Then they will have children for the dead brother.[a] 29 One time there were seven brothers. The first brother married a woman but died. He had no children. 30 Then the second brother married the woman, and he died. 31 And the third brother married the woman, and he died. The same thing happened with all the other brothers. They all died and had no children. 32 The woman was the last to die. 33 But all seven brothers married her. So when people rise from death, whose wife will this woman be?”

34 Jesus said to the Sadducees, “On earth, people marry each other. 35 Some people will be worthy to be raised from death and live again after this life. In that life they will not marry. 36 In that life people are like angels and cannot die. They are children of God, because they have been raised from death. 37 Moses clearly showed that people are raised from death. When Moses wrote about the burning bush,[b] he said that the Lord is ‘the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’[c] 38 So they were not still dead, because he is the God only of living people. Yes, to God they are all still living.”

39 Some of the teachers of the law said, “Teacher, your answer was very good.”40 No one was brave enough to ask him another question.

unsafe says -----This scripture here is all about Being Born Again in Spirit ---there are 2 worlds ---seen and unseen --believers will attain the blessed spiritual resurrection ----when we form our notions about the Spiritual world from this physical world we wrong ourselves and wrong the truth of Jesus Christ -----

Jesus says this ------38 So they were not still dead, because he is the God only of living people.

unsafe says ----and we see the Sadducees back off from Jesus and ask no more questions -----

Is the Messiah David’s Son or David’s Lord?
41 Then Jesus said, “Why do people say that the Messiah is the Son of David? 42 In the book of Psalms, David himself says,

‘The Lord God said to my Lord:
Sit by me at my right side,
43 and I will put your enemies under your power.[d]’
44 David calls the Messiah ‘Lord.’ So how can the Messiah also be David’s son?”

unsafe says -----We see the Jesus is David's Lord -----not Son

Warning Against the Teachers of the Law
45 While all the people were listening to Jesus, he said to his followers, 46 “Be careful of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around wearing clothes that look important. And they love for people to show respect to them in the marketplaces. They love to have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. 47 But they cheat widows and take their homes. Then they try to make themselves look good by saying long prayers. God will punish them very much.”

unsafe says -----We see Jesus warning people here about avoiding being like the teachers of the law full of pride and ambition and covetousness ----We are in fact to ask God to keep us from these displaying these worldly emotions and He says that their cheating of widows and by trying to make themselves look good God will punish them -----We are to seek Honor and good character which comes from God alone -----

Jesus has arrived in Jerusalem and has started to preach every day in the temple.

So who's a history geek & might know this? I'm wondering if it was common for people other than the 'appointed/recognized ones' (I guess equivalent of clergy today?) to preach in the temple? Seems like just doing this at all might be an act of outrageous confrontation. Imagine if someone came into one of our churches now and started preaching daily - uninvited - and followed by flocks of people. Might we ask a similar question?? It's interesting to see that Jesus has moved from preaching in lesser known places, in the countryside etc to being right in the temple now - an 'in your face' kind of approach to challenging the conventions of his day.

Imagine if someone came into one of our churches now and started preaching daily - uninvited - and followed by flocks of people.

Do keep in mind that a temple in the ancient world was not like a church. It was an open, public space where people came to offer (or buy) sacrifices, pray, etc. There was the holy of holies where only the priests went, but that was still not a place where services as we know them were held. They didn't sit in pews for an hour service, in other words so it is not like he disrupted a service. It was more like preaching on a street corner. The ancestor of our churches is the synagogue, not the temple.

Thanks Mendalla - you never disappoint with your encyclopedic knowledge! I was because I did not know ... and now I do! thanks.

Pews are a more 'modern' invention I think too - I was surprised to see some of the big European cathedrals did not have them; I think some othodox churches may still follow such traditions.

Summary: Luke 21

1. Jesus looks up and sees rich people putting their gifts in the treasury. He also sees a poor widow put in two small coins and notes that she has put in more than all of them. The others give from their abundance but she gave all she had.

2. Some speak of the adornments to the temple and Jesus predicts its destruction.

3. They (the disciples?) ask Jesus about signs and He prophecies.

Many will come in His name and they should not be led astray by these ones. There will be wars and insurrections. Nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes, famines and plagues.

But before all this occurs, they will be arrested and persecuted. They should not prepare their defense in advance, because He will give them wisdom and words. They will be betrayed by relatives and friends and some will be put to death. They will be hated because of His name but they will gain their souls by their endurance.

4. Jesus foretells the destruction of Jerusalem.

5. The Son of Man will come with power and great glory. There will be signs in the sun, the moon and the stars. On earth the sea will roar and there will be distress among nations. The powers of the heavens will be shaken.

6. Jesus tells the lesson of the fig tree. As soon as it sprouts leaves, summer is near. When all these things take place, the kingdom of God will be near. The present generation will not pass away until all things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but His words will not pass away.

7. Be alert, Jesus says. Pray that you will have the strength to escape the things that will take place and to stand before the Son of Man.

Every day, Jesus was teaching in the temple. At night, He went to the Mount of Olives. The people rose early every day to hear Him in the temple.

Reflection: Luke 21

After His comment about the poor widow, Jesus switches the focus of his teaching to prophecy.

He is anticipating end times and the final judgement within a generation. Before these days, the disciples can expect persecution because of His name. But Jesus will be with them to provide words and a wisdom that their opponents will not be able to contradict.

Interesting that Jesus is no longer talking about His own death and resurrection. Events are about to be set in motion and Jesus continues teaching in the temple, retiring to the Mount of Olives every night.

Luke 21 (GW)
A Widow’s Contribution
21 Looking up, Jesus saw people, especially the rich, dropping their gifts into the temple offering box. 2 He noticed a poor widow drop in two small coins. 3 He said, “I can guarantee this truth: This poor widow has given more than all the others. 4 All of these people have given what they could spare. But she, in her poverty, has given everything she had to live on.”

unsafe says ------The widow is an example of true revelation in regards to our giving to relieve the poor and sow into God's Kingdom giving Him the Glory ----The widow was poor herself and gave all she had -----it is not the amount that is given that God sees --He is more interested in our motive for our giving and with what state our heart is in when we give and do we have the Faith and trust in God in that giving -----

The widow gave sacrificially out of her poverty ------the Spirit of the giving determines the value of the gift given more than the amount given -----

Jesus Teaches His Disciples
5 Some of the disciples were talking about the temple complex. They noted that it was built with fine stones and decorated with beautiful gifts. So Jesus said, 6 “About these buildings that you see—the time will come when not one of these stones will be left on top of another. Each one will be torn down.”

7 The disciples asked him, “Teacher, when will this happen? What will be the sign when all this will occur?”

8 Jesus said, “Be careful that you are not deceived. Many will come using my name. They will say, ‘I am he!’ and ‘The time is near.’ Don’t follow them!

9 “When you hear of wars and revolutions, don’t be terrified! These things must happen first, but the end will not come immediately.”

10 Then Jesus continued, “Nation will fight against nation and kingdom against kingdom. 11 There will be terrible earthquakes, famines, and dreadful diseases in various places. Terrifying sights and miraculous signs will come from the sky.

12 “Before all these things happen, people will arrest and persecute you. They will hand you over to their synagogues and put you into their prisons. They will drag you in front of kings and governors because of my name. 13 It will be your opportunity to testify to them. 14 So make up your minds not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. 15 I will give you words and wisdom that none of your enemies will be able to oppose or prove wrong.

16 “Even parents, brothers, relatives, and friends will betray you and kill some of you. 17 Everyone will hate you because you are committed to me. 18 But not a hair on your head will be lost. 19 By your endurance you will save your life.

20 “When you see armies camped around Jerusalem, realize that the time is near for it to be destroyed. 21 Then those of you in Judea should flee to the mountains. Those of you in Jerusalem should leave it. Those of you in the fields shouldn’t go back into them. 22 This will be a time of vengeance. Everything that is written about it will come true.

23 “How horrible it will be for women who are pregnant or who are nursing babies in those days. Indeed, the land will suffer very hard times, and its people will be punished. 24 Swords will cut them down, and they will be carried off into all nations as prisoners. Nations will trample Jerusalem until the times allowed for the nations to do this are over.

25 “Miraculous signs will occur in the sun, moon, and stars. The nations of the earth will be deeply troubled and confused because of the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26 People will faint as they fearfully wait for what will happen to the world. Indeed, the powers of the universe will be shaken.

27 “Then people will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

28 “When these things begin to happen, stand with confidence! The time when you will be set free is near.”

29 Then Jesus used this story as an illustration. “Look at the fig tree or any other tree. 30 As soon as leaves grow on them, you know without being told that summer is near. 31 In the same way, when you see these things happen, you know that God’s kingdom is near.

32 “I can guarantee this truth: This generation will not disappear until all this takes place. 33 The earth and the heavens will disappear, but my words will never disappear.

unsafe says -----Jesus is warning His Disciples that terrible times are coming and they must not worry about how to defend themselves from persecution etc from their enemies ---- Jesus says this to them -----verse 15 ----

. 15 I will give you words and wisdom that none of your enemies will be able to oppose or prove wrong.

unsafe says -----How powerful is this statement -----Believers don't need to worry as they will be protected and given the words and wisdom needed to keep their enemies at bay ------God will stand by His Children and protect them so they can do God's work without fret -----

unsafe says ---Jesus speaks of the parable of the fig tree -------in this it seems to indicate that because of the all the signs that Jesus gives here --the fig tree buds something inevitable happens ---it bears fruit ------so Jesus is saying when you see these things happening Jesus in His Glory will inevitably follow ------when the time is right Jesus will appear as it says in scripture ------

No One Knows When the Earth and the Heavens Will Disappear
34 “Make sure that you don’t become drunk, hung over, and worried about life. Then that day could suddenly catch you by surprise 35 like a trap that catches a bird. That day will surprise all people who live on the earth. 36 Be alert at all times. Pray so that you have the power to escape everything that is about to happen and to stand in front of the Son of Man.”

37 During the day Jesus would teach in the temple courtyard. But at night he would go to the Mount of Olives (as it was called) and spend the night there. 38 All of the people would get up early to hear him speak in the temple courtyard.

unsafe says -----Jesus is saying how believers should live in the last days -----they are to stay alert and don't allow the cares of the world to weigh believers down ---always pray to allow God to give the power needed to escape all that will happen ---Believers should start and end their days in God's word and following His general rules intended to help His People to keep a check on their thoughts and behaviour so that when He does come believers are found not living in a settled state ----they are live in a state of expectations ------

Summary: Luke 22: 1 - 34

The Passover was near.

Satan entered into Judas Iscariot, who went away and conferred with the chief priests and officers of the temple about how he might betray Jesus. They were pleased and agreed to give him money.

When the day of the Passover arrived, Jesus sent Peter and John to prepare the meal. He instructed them to follow the man in the city who will meet them, carrying a jug of water. They will be led to a house where the owner will show them a large room upstairs, already furnished.

When the hour came for the meal, Jesus and the disciples took their places at the table. Jesus blessed the bread and the wine, instituting the Lord's Supper. "Do this in remembrance of me." He predicted his betrayal by one of the disciples and they asked each other who this could be.

A dispute arose among the disciples as to which of them was the greatest. Jesus responded that the disciples are not like the Gentiles with their kings and benefactors. Rather, the greatest among them must become like the youngest and the leader like one who serves. He reminded them that he was among them as one who serves.

Jesus said, "You are those who have stood by me in my trials and I confer on you, just as my Father has conferred on me, a kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel." (v.28-30)

Satan has demanded to sift the twelve like wheat but Jesus has prayed that the disciples' faith will not fail and that they will strengthen each other. Peter declares he is willing to follow unto death but Jesus predicts he will betray Him three times before morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back