Artificial Intelligence and Religion

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Will we create a true, autonomous artificial intelligence in your lifetime?

• Yes, and I'm looking forward to it

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Yes, and I'm worried about it

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I'm not sure but it's an interesting idea

• No, it is possible but I can't see it happening that fast

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No, I don't think it is possible

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I don't care and I don't really think it's something we need to spend time on

• Other (post details in the thread)

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Today's xkcd is relevant to this thread:

singularity.png

I've seen this in a few sources. This is from InformationWeek, on of my regular IT newletters:

http://www.informationweek.com/it-l...fd42&elqaid=70866&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=21817

Short version: People think self-driving cars should adopt a utilitarian approach to deciding how to react to dangerous situations. e.g. If the car is about to plough through a crowd of pedestrians at a crosswalk and avoiding that would kill the occupant of the car, it will opt to kill the occupant, saving the maximum number of lives. However, this utilitarianism comes with one caveat: they are only in favour if they aren't in the car.

If there is only one person left standing will it be amen, or the surrounding nature ... mother of god wondering what they were thinking to reduce this wisdom down to nothing ... when they have no BS for nothing?

Thus the indigo lady as a thief in the Shadow's aura ... a grey aria or just Nordic Umbria ... a Kohl aria ... howls in a' dept of winter ... another pigeon hole, or room in metaphysical space ...

What if it's only one pedestrian? What is the criteria then?

It's been a while since I've done any reading on utilitarianism (it was covered in a philosophy course I took in uni) but unless the system is able to tell that the person crossing the road is the next Einstein or Gandhi, I'd say this is where a utilitarian approach breaks down. For me as a human driver, I'd keep trying to avoid both outcomes which, with modern safety features like air bags (to protect me if I crash) and anti-lock brakes and traction control (to enable me to control the car even in adverse conditions), should be possible most of the time.

One thing that the whole study does not take into account is that these sorts of incidents (cars plowing into crowds) should be even rarer with self-driving cars than they are now. They are often either caused by a rogue driver doing it deliberately, the driver losing control, or the driver having a health issue (heart attack, stroke, etc.) that cause a loss of consciousness or control. None of those can happen with a self-driving car, leaving only the rare cases where it is the result of, say, a brake failure or computer crash. In the latter case, the system's program ceases to matter anyway since the human will have to take over.

Reminds me of the other side of natural, unnatural intelligence ... into the stream of natural - artificial emotions ... can this be made up as incarnate version ... appearing as isn't?

Hoo dah thunk ... W Odin't arrive as a splat ... bo'id chit ...

Will pride avoid it ...?

I've seen this in a few sources. This is from InformationWeek, on of my regular IT newletters:

http://www.informationweek.com/it-l...fd42&elqaid=70866&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=21817

Short version: People think self-driving cars should adopt a utilitarian approach to deciding how to react to dangerous situations. e.g. If the car is about to plough through a crowd of pedestrians at a crosswalk and avoiding that would kill the occupant of the car, it will opt to kill the occupant, saving the maximum number of lives. However, this utilitarianism comes with one caveat: they are only in favour if they aren't in the car.
So cool. Builtin agape :3 (and holy rl Trolley Problem)
I wonder if they will start packaging it to give to world n religious leaders...Win HS? Pocket Jimminy Cricket? :3
The article reminds me of a strong story by Peter Watts aboot super ethical people
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/collateral/

"holy rl Trolley" .. that street car named desire that can railroad yah? Thus thoughts are stripped ... in fuge ass -ite (as site to be observed)!

Kind 've like when drifting off at night with the ruler of the black arc ... the Jo an in with the abstract zone ... a private Niche?

Where those no longer seen gather in your imagination ... un believed by the physically as toute ... thus the balance of us are ethereal in their visions ... ass pyre antes ... flames to allow Lear into pas sin future unseen's ... un gripped and incomprehensible to those avoiding sophisticated complexity ... that's life ... non-simplistic behaviour!

Some spin drift expected ... especially when digging into the pylons of word ... there's more beyond the Cana ... Kahn-A? Right out-ve Eire ...

"holy rl Trolley" .. that street car named desire that can railroad yah? Thus thoughts are stripped ... in fuge ass -ite (as site to be observed)!

Kind 've like when drifting off at night with the ruler of the black arc ... the Jo an in with the abstract zone ... a private Niche?

Where those no longer seen gather in your imagination ... un believed by the physically as toute ... thus the balance of us are ethereal in their visions ... ass pyre antes ... flames to allow Lear into pas sin future unseen's ... un gripped and incomprehensible to those avoiding sophisticated complexity ... that's life ... non-simplistic behaviour!

Some spin drift expected ... especially when digging into the pylons of word ... there's more beyond the Cana ... Kahn-A? Right out-ve Eire ...
I find it delightfully funny that we(might) have the potential to create tools that are more ethical than us :3

g_d works in mysterious ways

Last edited:
So a robot saved a human life MAJOR NEWS STORY
http://www.dailygrail.com/Humanity-Plus/2016/7/Robot-Car-Just-Saved-the-Life-Human-No-Big-Deal
I can imagine a religion built around a kind of gifting culture (a la Iain Bankz Culture in his Culture series) where their form of worship is to help save human lives and lifestyles...imagine Holy Hackers who make viruses that help protect peoplez cyberware smartphonez routerz...free software patches...analytics and learning algos that keep track of habits and formulate plans based on past or future health programs...hmm...call the Mercurians? Hygieians?

Hygieians are really high Jinns ... indigo ladies tempting ... but don't touch or ye'll get called out of real learning zones ... into Big Sky Country ... Montana -Idaho where militants resist governing forces ... tis the essence ... western rogue-ism or the other radical?

Mortal believers don't accept alien chitz ... wee bits that could fall through cracks in reality during periods in la-la lan-DZ!

Seminal material could lead to comprehension in the strangest places!

Thinking about facts was always artificial ... because that is the way oligarchs wished it ... thus the Masses fell into loch step adhering to the red and bleu fabrics ... some white thrown in for scratch in thoughts ...

AI, or aye men are an outside Job ... prescience that is Yeti ... wild in the isles of time ... lumpy?

Tis a dark "c" ...

Back