Advantage/Disadvantages of being single or coupled

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Perhaps the biggest plus in being coupled is if you desire to have children you have two people to work together raising them.
Not necessary - many single parents do a wonderful job, but it is difficult especially if you don't have help from the extended family or community, and/or poverty factors in.

Perhaps the biggest plus in being coupled is if you desire to have children you have two people to work together raising them.
Not necessary - many single parents do a wonderful job, but it is difficult especially if you don't have help from the extended family or community, and/or poverty factors in.

This. If I could do anything over again, being a single parent to two kids with no real back-up was really freaking hard. It might have been better if I'd seriously knuckled down to finding them another parent.

Which is true when both partners are getting along well and have somewhat similar expectations that they bring to their parenting roles, or at least are mature about working out differences. It isn't always a great partnership, and can feel quite lonely for some parents, despite being married. Sometimes the separation simplifies some aspects for some folks. Just offering an alternate reality here.

Absolutely. But it's still always harder to do it by yourself. Even knowing how unsuccessful blended families can be, I think you really need more than one to bring up kids. My Mom was a big help.

Absolutely. But it's still always harder to do it by yourself. Even knowing how unsuccessful blended families can be, I think you really need more than one to bring up kids. My Mom was a big help.
I agree Bette - finding allies is so important - sometimes a spouse, sometimes a grandparent, sometimes a friend, or a Big Brother/Big Sister kind of thing. It takes a village, right? Glad your mom was there for you.

If your husband is actually like your second child he is more hinderance than help ( except for saving money on babysitters).
I actually still have an ex- mother in law, who still sends chocolate for Christmas, and a brother in law who I (regrettably) made the mistake to befriend on facebook and had to put on ignore, because I can't stand all the sexist, stupid quotes and pictures he "likes". They are, thank God, overseas and if I don't tell them, they don't know when I am in Germany visiting my family. I do feel obligated to update them every second year.( B-in - law is junior's Godfather).

Benefit of singleness: nobody snores beside you.
Disadvantage: nobody makes you tea when you are sick.

It helps to have a cat.

I believe there are many things to love and enjoy about being single. Being single is not a bad thing. When I was single, I really enjoyed that time. But when I felt I was ready for a new relationship, I joined a local dating site (Cupid [Edit link removed]) and started texting two guys. One of them is my hubby now:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jae
I believe there are many things to love and enjoy about being single. Being single is not a bad thing. When I was single, I really enjoyed that time. But when I felt I was ready for a new relationship, I joined a local dating site (Cupid [Edit link removed]) and started texting two guys. One of them is my hubby now:)
I've removed your link, as we do have a no solicitation policy.
Click here for our Code of Conduct

Oo, shiny. She used the new moderator format and we haven't even posted it yet. (y)

Guess I'm good to post it now, eh?:D

I have a few friends too who have met their mates on internet sites. I think these sites have lost the 'fear factor' that they had when they first came out. But maybe that would make for another interesting thread! :)

I have a few friends too who have met their mates on internet sites. I think these sites have lost the 'fear factor' that they had when they first came out. But maybe that would make for another interesting thread! :)

Indeed, it would. Not that I have any experiences to add, having met my spouse before the web even existed, but it does seem to be a big part of meeting and mating in the 21st century.

My best friend met his wife on a site called Christian Café. He was in Toronto, she in Manila. In time, he flew to Hong Kong where she was working to marry her.

From a conversation that Mrs. Anteater and I are having elsewhere. Disadvantage of singleness is when you find a wasp nest, and have to deal with it yourself.

*shudders* Wasps/hornets are one of my few phobias. Even bees I only tolerate because I like honey and I've never been stung by one (I got nailed by a yellow jacket back in my Scouting days but never a bee).

If we're getting into nitty-gritty physical things like this, for me it would not having someone who can go above the third step on a ladder. My acrophobia starts to kick in above that line so I'm not much good for jobs requiring it.

*shudders* Wasps/hornets are one of my few phobias. Even bees I only tolerate because I like honey and I've never been stung by one (I got nailed by a yellow jacket back in my Scouting days but never a bee).

If we're getting into nitty-gritty physical things like this, for me it would not having someone who can go above the third step on a ladder. My acrophobia starts to kick in above that line so I'm not much good for jobs requiring it.

You wouldn't have got along with the Jacob 'n bunch ... possibly workers in the olive oil trees ... Ephraim on genre in the spirit of logos .. tree nymphs?

I posted a sketch on another string ... with black spots on my mind as holes to the sub-con science ... I can't recall just where ... I'll be with a bit of equanimity I may get it .. stay calm with the desire to know ... as in wisdom it fits in with calm-passions ... something to read into like layers of onions can give tears of delight when you get eM in the stew ... Oden? Boiled trees are good for pulp fiction ... from my Kraft Mill Pas'd Ayes!

The process is a category ... but not the wholly entirety ...

BetteTheRed said:
From a conversation that Mrs. Anteater and I are having elsewhere. Disadvantage of singleness is when you find a wasp nest, and have to deal with it yourself.

The only advantage being coupled offers in the same scenario is that the other does the risky work. Since I am the one who gets tagged for such jobs I don't find being coupled to be such an advantage.

Back