"Woke"

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Even progressive theology is quite meaningless. It can imply social justice, eco-theology, process theology.
That doesn't mean it is meaningless?

Every word has multiple usages (just look in the dictionary at "is")

I grok what you wrote, tho

Maybe it is more accurate to say that, taking words and their usages as culture-dependent, not everyone shares the same culture...?

This esp applies to neologisms or "new" usages or new words, like all the pronouns that are proliferating...demonself is just one of

Last edited:
"Christianity has and is being Dismantled" - Delightful Life

Is it time for Christians to pick up their crosses?

(For clarification, my avatar STAY WOKE is to represent the definition of woke as “to be alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice” - Oxford English Dictionary).

As a founder figure, a manifesto, or a governing body on how to stay woke, Jesus fits the bill.

Jesus was so deeply “woke” that it penetrated every aspect of his life.

He was crucified for picking up that cross but it seems he has not yet been cancelled.

“Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.
I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.” - Jesus

(For clarification, my avatar STAY WOKE is to represent the definition of woke as “to be alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice” - Oxford English Dictionary).

As a founder figure, a manifesto, or a governing body on how to stay woke, Jesus fits the bill.

He was crucified for picking up that cross but it seems he has not yet been cancelled.

And yet the shadow slips into the picture ... one should be familiar with how to deal with the shifts! Creepy shiftiness ...

Problem is, every opinion can quote Jesus and make it work (woke) for them.

the people who gave woke a bad name is their insistence on everyone else becoming aware of the issues and insisting on accepting their solution to those issues even when the issues are complex.

This is a problem for sure.

We cannot impose a solution on a marginalized group. We can be allies and walk with them with their permission.

We ask how we can help. We can walk beside them. We can support them.

Imposing "solutions" really is no different from doing things like banning abortions. It's another way to impose our will on others. That's not cool.

Quotas for schools and businesses make less sense than applications that are blind to gender, race, and ableness and providing equity in support for schooling.

Sometimes quotas have been needed to get the ball rolling. Ideally we will become "blind" to differences. I'm not sure blind is the right word. We can be aware and accepting of differences. If we're blind we won't be mindful that someone else may have different needs from us

“And what I say to you I say to all: Keep awake.” (Mark 13:37)

Martin Luther King, Jr. may have inadvertently stimulated the use of the term “woke” when he gave the commencement address at Oberlin College in 1965, declaring “there is nothing more tragic than to sleep through a revolution. … The great challenge facing every individual graduating today is to remain awake.” King would have known Jesus’ challenge from the Gospel of Mark: “And what I say to you I say to all: Keep awake.” Be woke.

Blind only carries you so far. An in person, face-to-face interview is the only way to go for some situations and positions, since you can't read a room with the applicant behind a screen. In the end, the solution is that hiring managers and HR teams recognize their own biases as they go through the application process and recognize that "best person for the job" need not be tied to a colour, gender, etc. Diversity can happen without bending over backwards with quotas or complicated hiring processes. I know because I have built a diverse team just following proper application and interview processes.

And, no, that has nothing to do with me or my organization being "woke". It has everything to do with having "the right people on the bus" as our VP would say.

Wokers have lost the word battle when even progressives like Bill Maher and many other progressives agree that "woke" is a politically dirty word (cancel culture, intolerance of dissent, etc.)

What is a "woker" please? I know the history of the phrase "stay woke".

Does anyone refer to themselves as a "woker"? Or is this sarcastic?

It's Mystic's favourite insult. He thinks he's above us because he can use it to put us down. It's sad really that someone needs to feel better by insulting rather than discussing.

What exactly is your definition of CSJ???

You seem to have a skewed perception of social justice.
I am having a blast here, m'dear

Satire
Irony
Laughter

No greyface here :3

(As to CSJ--you should know by now? I.have printed it up.enough times by now? Maybe I should have a FAQ? lol also I acknowledget both the good and bad of Woke...and included in my list are a lot of my various notices over the years...yes, we Wokers have also hurt other Wokers which isn't an indication of the Great Work not working but reality etc. There is a lot of expetiences and meaning in there that I haven't explained...kinda macros for various experiences of mine...one of them is aboot Focault...that child diddler....)

Last edited:
Exactly!

Generalizing never helps.
Except when we are dismantling systems of oppression, All African Americans are Oppressed, All Indiginous are Oppressed, All People Who Say Certain Words aboot.the Oppressed are automatically Colonialist, Sexist etc.

As you were, citizen!

Always be wary and vigilant! :3

Back