What are you doing to worry less?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
This article was in my e-mail today, from a writer I follow - How I Learned to Worry Less (So I Can Focus Better) I like the analogy of 'the boulders' - I hadn't heard that one before.

So it got me reflecting on my own practices, and also wondering what my friends here have found helpful to 'worry less' in times of stress - not just now, but perhaps things you learned or adopted at another time that are now having some 'resurrection' (Easter reference intended:giggle: ).

Once you realize there is an absolute end but not an abstract end ... you begin to reason out the intellectual gap that is extensive due to overblown emotions ... more implications than the KISS Prin. allows ... thus no worries ... you can have fun with the unseen wisdom in it though!

I think one of the pieces of the article I liked was that our anxiety is okay - it may stimulate us to make necessary preparations, AND then once those preparations are made, finding ways to release the anxiety is important. So true physiologically - prepare, then rest. Being in a constant state of alarm/alertness is exhausting for the body & often negatively affects our immune system - making us more susceptible that which perhaps made us anxious in the first place.

I like to get outside - either to explore or work in my garden, or on a walk. So I'm grateful that the spring weather is arriving, and there things in nature to catch my attention, to call me out of my internal thoughts and worries. I find the rainy days more challenging.

Getting things in place helps me. Some of that is hard, as it's outside of my control.
I got most of my prescription meds, I took a look at the food we had in the house (we always have a decent amount) and picked up a few things that we were a bit short on plus some extras in case sick like we now have more cup of soup in he house than what we would typically keep and this was done before the panic grocery buying was happening. I have a shipment of firazyr coming tomorrow.
I was glad my hematology appointment happened near the start of this even though my hematologist didn't have many answers. I'm glad the tumour situation had calmed considerably before this. Some of my liver tests are still a bit of a concern, but I saw an improvement in the one that was the most confusing, even though it's still not 'good' at least I know it's not going higher and higher. I got tests done 4 days before they made recommendations on avoiding bloodwork. I got confirmation yesterday to not keep going every month - I was told to go in 3 months, we'll see about that.

On a continual basis, putting in grocery orders helps me, knowing there is always a plan to keep bringing it food. This way, even when we don't get everything in an order we're not going through what's at home quickly. I like knowing that there is always enough if we do get stuck with nothing coming in for 2 weeks, and that wouldn't be a 'survival' type of diet, it would be typical meals.

I try to carry on more or less as usual. Cooking, walking the dog, laundry...... I do find myself more obsessive about washing though

I find I get anxious when I have to do things. Like I was going to grocery shop yesterday and spent a lot of Sunday night awake trying to plan the trip. When I would wash, when I would wear gloves, what I would use for a mask. ......

instead I decided I would not shop.
but Easter is coming and I expect that will mean closed stores. So I do have to pick up some fresh things we are running out of. Like milk, yogurt, butter, berries

so I am getting organized in my mind today so I will sleep tonight. When will I go, what will I wear. Will I take some gardening gloves. Will I wear a bandana or? Actually have a couple of surgical masks left over from doing dressings when hubby had a big injury. But they are better saved for him

I find, like lots of things, a plan and a list really helps me cope

i do find myself overloaded with info and so I try to spend fun time watching cute videos and checking on my little eaglets

we are totally enjoying catching up in Schitts creek which we seemed to have missed out in. Actually watch the first one or two episodes and I didnt like what seemed to be making fun of small town folks. But it has evolved way farther than that and so that is a lovely thing to do in the evenings

Well we've got the bikes up and running and there are two excellent parks very close by that are suitable for leisurely bike rides.....full of geese, mallard ducks and swans.
I'm reading more, sitting on the patio more, and now I'm considering whether to go back to work in a local retirement home.....I did say considering because they've had two cases of COVID (staff) and not much in the way of PPE.....so lot's to thing about, we'll see. I'm wondering at 65 with a heart condition if it's wise but then I'm thinking I should be getting out there when I hear about many coming out of retirement to help....

We were asked about going out to work ... but one has to evaluate when you could be of assistance and when you could cause difficulty and war ... some tyrants don;t know the difference ... somewhat of a manufacture of dat void ... sometimes best to make your self scarce and ethereal!

You sound well settled @ChemGal with the measures you're taking :) Do you start any seeds indoors for your garden?

I haven't looked at your eagles yet @Lastpointe - but good reminder - I think I would find it interesting.

Glad you discovered Schitt's Creek. I've been a regular watcher, and it's been fascinating to see the characters evolve over time. I must say, I'm rather sad it's coming to an end - I will miss all of them. Funny how that happens with a series, or a book.

I haven't worn gloves when going out, just lots of diligent hand sani and not touching my face. That's been the hardest change I think!!

The evolving issue of wearing masks when out & not able to do good social/physical distancing is interesting ... I'm still thinking about that. Generally when I have been out anywhere, the physical distancing has not been a particular challenge. My husband was mentioning that we have a box of some masks - the 'construction/sanding/painting' grade. Like you, I think we will put those in reserve just in case we need them for acute illness in future.

It's great weather (and hopefully continuing to improve!) for biking - so it sounds like you're in good shape @Waterfall ! I too live near a lakeside trail with lots of waterfowl, but it is often really busy down there, so we've so far been avoiding it on our (almost) daily walks.

The 'back to work' thing is challenge - some of us are so hardwired to be there, helping. But at what cost to yourself? It's a challenging decision and I'm sure you will do what's right for you. Is there any way to help without being physically present? If you know some residents, could you be a daily phone caller, for a social chat? I have heard of some people volunteering to 'go back to work' but as contact tracers, rather than front line workers - it's all phone/computer work I think.

I too am torn on the mask issue but now they are suggesting it could help stop the spread. So I will wear one when I go to the store. An easy idea is to fold a regular bandana and use elastics to attach. Looked it up on YouTube. Very easy to pull together and then wash

re gloves. Another thing I have disagreed with. But my hubby is very concerned. So I did wear them last shopping day

what I found was, like working in the hospital they reminded me of clean and dirty. I was very aware that when wearing gloves they were dirty as was everything I was touching. And then remove and you are clean. So I think, it did make me more aware

It's great weather (and hopefully continuing to improve!) for biking - so it sounds like you're in good shape @Waterfall ! I too live near a lakeside trail with lots of waterfowl, but it is often really busy down there, so we've so far been avoiding it on our (almost) daily walks.

The 'back to work' thing is challenge - some of us are so hardwired to be there, helping. But at what cost to yourself? It's a challenging decision and I'm sure you will do what's right for you. Is there any way to help without being physically present? If you know some residents, could you be a daily phone caller, for a social chat? I have heard of some people volunteering to 'go back to work' but as contact tracers, rather than front line workers - it's all phone/computer work I think.
I would be getting paid, so it wouldn't be volunteer.....but the suggestion to go back as a volunteer is good, it might relieve the guilt and still help others....thanks.

I did a curbside pick up today of some knitting yarn today from my local yarn shop. So I have a couple more projects that will keep me busy - a baby sweater & a shawl.

I've also found it helpful to be able to connect on video call with my family - even got my 94 year old Dad onto it! He's hooked! LOL I find it reassuring to see all their faces for myself, rather than having to just trust what I hear in their voices at such a time. We've never been a family that keeps daily contact ... and we don't now either. But it's good to see them.

I gardened in my front yard for a bit this afternoon - and various neighbours gathered on the driveway to chat - that was SO nice. I have sidewalk chalk & write notes on my sidewalk sometimes. The other day I measured out a 2m distance & marked it - it's actually closer than most people are keeping which is interesting!

I too am torn on the mask issue but now they are suggesting it could help stop the spread. So I will wear one when I go to the store. An easy idea is to fold a regular bandana and use elastics to attach. Looked it up on YouTube. Very easy to pull together and then wash
I saw that too - so clever! And simple to do! My neighbour was just over to the LCBO (it's at the end of our street - we have a front row seat to all the comings & goings!) & just wore his snug neck roll that he uses for skiing - would be a little warm as weather changes, but worked for today :) But there is still the pulling it up etc. & trying not to touch the face in the process.

Last edited:
This is my first real year of starting seedlings - so it's proving to be an interesting distraction too! Even my husband is going to look at them a couple of times/day, amazed at what he sees! So far I have some good sized (ie transplanted into 3" pots) parsley, sweet heat peppers, chantilly snapdragons, & some sweet peas. In my smaller starter tray I have - 3 kinds of tomatoes - Pony Express, Yellow Pear Organic Minis, and Tiny Tim; a few more pepper plants, some dwarf asters; & some foxgloves. Our growing season is ahead of yours ... but I'd appreciate any wisdom you can share about tomatoes.

I have to say, I'm confused by why people are so into gloves. We do have some at home (and always have had them). I used a pair once after getting medical supplies. I opened the box and washed my hands fully. I figured I would use the gloves to bring the supplies out and upstairs. By the time I need to touch them again any virus should be dead.
This was to save me from doing a proper handwash about a minute later. Extra cautious for sure, normally I wouldn't be concerned about the contents and normally I would wash my hands after handling the box, I do feel like they get a bit grimy just being on the truck.

For something like gardening gloves it's not even possible to take them off properly to avoid cross contact (or at least I can't with the gardening gloves I have tried). If using medical style of gloves, what is being touched and not touched with them?

This is my first real year of starting seedlings - so it's proving to be an interesting distraction too! Even my husband is going to look at them a couple of times/day, amazed at what he sees! So far I have some good sized (ie transplanted into 3" pots) parsley, sweet heat peppers, chantilly snapdragons, & some sweet peas. In my smaller starter tray I have - 3 kinds of tomatoes - Pony Express, Yellow Pear Organic Minis, and Tiny Tim; a few more pepper plants, some dwarf asters; & some foxgloves. Our growing season is ahead of yours ... but I'd appreciate any wisdom you can share about tomatoes.
You don't need to be super careful about their roots, they can be fairly manhandled. I do think they tend to need more light than some of the other seedlings, although I don't know about all you're doing, peppers would be similar I think.
Tomatoes do well with burying deeper and deeper. I start mine in plastic shot glasses, will fill up the soil a bit and then transplant them to something else, but with room to top up more soil again as they grow up.

Back