Relearning old skills: Sewing

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I made my granddaughters each a nightie
Will post photos from computer.

The first one was done before my serger class, but I used the serger. I cut the collar accidentally when sewing it on and the yoke back.

I had done ghe same to my nightie and so, I swore out loud, especially as I did not have enough fabric to make new yokes and collar.

The course taught me about clipping inside curves in order to make a straight line for the serger to sew.

The 2nd worked out quite a bit better after the course.

Buttons are passable, but I know that I can do better for placement.

I have two more ready to sew. Learning and improving with each.

I have been busy since I wrote this post in August.

I took a course Learn your Machine. It was fabulous, made more so that it ended up being a one-on-one with the instructor, as two people had to cancel last minute. I learned about all the stitches, the various feet, and well, so much more. It has taken my sewing up a notch. One of the best parts was understanding the use of the blind hemming foot -- it is so useful.

I finished the girls nighties, so each have two nighties made with collars, etc, and the older one has one simpler nightie. They have enough now until we need flannel ones.

I went to a "garage" sale put on by the sewing shop, and picked up a bunch more fabric of types that i did not have. Flannelette for my nighties (granddaughters, me & my sister), fleece for projects, plus some fabric with trucks, and similair type items on it, plus some knits for learning how to sew on stretch fabric. I ended up with a significant volume of fabric for next to nothing. (A bolt of amazing fabric perfect for my hunting / outdoor nephews was $20. Unsure if going to make aprons or sleep pants out of it)

I am 1/2 way through two more sewing classes: Learn to Quilt and Learn to Sew (Intro)
These classes are great, as they teach you by doing projects.
Learn to quilt we have
a) learned about fabric, threads and choices in colours, pieced a 9-square block pattern for a potholder, sewn together, and now waiting for the class on free-arm quilting
b) pieced flying geese blocks and a 1/2 triangle blocks, put them together for a pillow front, and now waiting for the class on free arm quilting
c) we will be doing a table runner, learning free arm quiliting and binding in the folowing weeks

In Learn to sew we have
a) learned all about stabilizers, the various types and methods and sewed a little carrying bag
b) learned more about basics while making a bag to put over the arm of a chair or by your bed.
c) going to be learning about zippers -- yay! and more re construction whilst we make a bag -- lots of neat ideas.

Building on those courses, and using my fabric finds
a) I have made 5 pairs of men's pj pants, most were out of my auction fabric, with special fabric from the last one. I learned about doing a fly, trickier than it seems until you get the handle of it. I figured out I could use a button hole to transform fabric from elastic to a cord. I figured out how to put in a ticket, designed one, and added them to the patterns based on feedback from my spouse. (These are gifts).
b) I also made 2 pairs of women's pj pants from fabric. I really learned about the difference in fabric, and how some is so soft and suitable, and others are stiff after washing even. Some is based on quality of fabric, some is by design. In these, and in the other patterns, I figured out where / how to piece fabric together to make a garment when I didn't have enough in yardage to make just out of 1. (Most of my American pattern fabric was 2 yards or less). Lots of fun and learning
c) I then made 3 market bags with front pocket & lining using a downloaded pattern and American pattern fabric pieces combined with some plain fabric picked up at a garage sale. I love these bags, and will add inside pockets to my next one. Great way to use up fabric. Learned that I could save a ton of time and frustration by having a bigger cutting board.
d) experimenting with fleece, made some pants for my older granddaughter who is 3. She loved them when she tried them on for sizing, and didn't want to take them off to finish them. They are rough, but, give me an idea of what to do with fleece as I go on.

As I learn skills, the next one of the same pattern, or which incorporates a concept is much faster.
I have learned that I have a habit of not picking up a seam when serging, primarily due to not being far enough in. Silly really, but a habit that i had. I also realize that i should trim off iron-on facing so i can see the edge of the fabrics

I discovered that you can get patterns at used goods stores. There is a wonderful mennonite one in New Hamburg, and picked up patterns for .50 each.
I am now going to make cross-over aprons for my oldest granddaughter, and soup bowl holders for my son.
After that is sewing up an outfit for my youngest granddaughter's birthday.

Learning a lot and enjoying.
Why I haven't been online a lot.

Last edited:
Well more updates.

For my 3yr old granddaughter, I made a fleece poncho that is butter-yellow and tie/cowl neck. Adorable but way too big. Will fit her in spring.
245000441_10161048914293132_125971180127720581_n_10161048914328132.jpg

For my sister, I made a flannel nightie that she loves. We didn't like the way the chest laid on her, but, added lace from my stash and it was perfect!
Used flannel that was quite inexpensive at the garage sale that is great quality and lovely on her..

265373223_10161200816268132_772709713819706568_n_10161200815823132.jpg

I made a bunch of tutus for my great nieces out of my auction fabric find. Had fun, and they looked so cute. Took me about a week to make 5, but I wasn't working at it full-time. Plus -- emptied a bunch of fabric that would have very few uses.

271158083_10161244984708132_5756414269829292247_n_10161244977163132.jpg

For my granddaughters, I made two applique pillows just for lounging on.

269786146_10161221856618132_5423189638369683139_n_10161221856163132.jpg269818380_10161221856388132_5432394328635283880_n_10161221856073132.jpg

For my youngest granddaughter, i had my first attempt at knits. Made her a cute onesie out of knit and was quite pleased with it. The part that sucked was having to sew 7 little snaps on to it (ie 14 seperate pieces). It is cute though.
I made a little jumper to go with it, that is quite cute and will be fun in the spring.

Last edited:
I've been sewing too. It's fun to get back to it. I decided to take my father's ties when we cleaned out his apartment so I could make something out of them. I decided to make pillows for my sister, brother and I. I decided to use a crazy quilt style and will do a bit of embroidery on them. This is the first one.

20220116_184405.jpg

Well more updates.

For my 3yr old granddaughter, I made a fleece poncho that is butter-yellow and tie/cowl neck. Adorable but way too big. Will fit her in spring.
View attachment 6070

For my sister, I made a flannel nightie that she loves. We didn't like the way the chest laid on her, but, added lace from my stash and it was perfect!
Used flannel that was quite inexpensive at the garage sale that is great quality and lovely on her..

View attachment 6071

I made a bunch of tutus for my great nieces out of my auction fabric find. Had fun, and they looked so cute. Took me about a week to make 5, but I wasn't working at it full-time. Plus -- emptied a bunch of fabric that would have very few uses.

View attachment 6072

For my granddaughters, I made two applique pillows just for lounging on.

View attachment 6073View attachment 6074

For my youngest granddaughter, i had my first attempt at knits. Made her a cute onesie out of knit and was quite pleased with it. The part that sucked was having to sew 7 little snaps on to it (ie 14 seperate pieces). It is cute though.
I made a little jumper to go with it, that is quite cute and will be fun in the spring.
I used to use snaps that you applied with a thread spool and a hammer. Much easier. I read somewhere that there are magnetic ones now but I haven't checked them out.

I love the tie idea, @Northwind
i think that we cleaned out my husbands ties when we moved, but, I may look at our closest with renewed ideas, especially for some of those beautiful scarves that i never wear.

So, last year I made pj's for my sister's family. (well lounge pants primarily). Also made market bags for them.
I had thought I would make my husband's sister's family (s-i-l) nighties & pj's as well; however, there are a lot more of them, and didn't get to it.

Made a commitment to myself to do it this year for my s-i-l's family.
3 4yr old girls
3 6 yr old girls
8 & 11 yr old boy
2 teenage boys
6 adult males
5 adult females

Yup, that is 21 people!

I have the 3 6yr old's nighties done, and the 2 younger boys pj pants.
the 4yr old's nighties are well under way, plus I did one for my oldest granddaughter.

Also sewing bags to put them in. Makes a nice break when i finish a set!

Other things sewn in the last while:
1. Bike shorts & leggings for the granddaughters. Learning about knits. made 4 pairs, come together really easily
2. Started a stuffed animal, but, realized part way through i had misplaced a pattern piece. New pattern on order
3. Little dress for wee granddaughter
4. Dress & purse for 4yr old gd.
5. new placemats & napkins for table (reversible)

My skills are improving. I am learning to troubleshoot serger better. Most common issue with serger is when I thread it, i forgot to have the foot up, and the tension is off. Second most common, forgot to take the 1st needle out, when i quit using the thread, so don't really get a 3needle roll.

As far as i know, that is one hobby of Mom's (she even took a course at Conestoga College on dressmaking or something like that) that I don't think anyone else in the family has really taken up. Not I, for sure. Mrs. M knows basic sewing but just does repairs, not making new clothes or anything like that.

Anyone else sewing?

I have been sewing bags. The other day I made myself a little wallet using cork fabric. The pattern directions weren't the clearest, especially in comparison to another pattern designer I liked. She did though have a YouTube video which filled in blanks. I misunderstood one part of the cutting instructions so I had to fudge a bit and create a solution. It worked. I'll try again. This will do nicely.20220701_083800.jpg

oooh, interesting, and great idea. hard to find a wallet that fits just your needs.

I made a sling bag and wanted something to hold just a couple cards. This one has a key fob as well. I decided to put the hook where the d-ring should go because I didn't figure I'd use the key fob anyway. This way I can attach the wallet to a bag or something.

This is the sling bag. It's a great pattern and easy.

20220423_144227.jpg20220423_144246.jpg

As far as i know, that is one hobby of Mom's (she even took a course at Conestoga College on dressmaking or something like that) that I don't think anyone else in the family has really taken up. Not I, for sure. Mrs. M knows basic sewing but just does repairs, not making new clothes or anything like that.
My guy's uncle used to make suits for the male family members. No courses or classes, just a paper pattern that he altered as needed. Amazing to me.

We were four kids. My mom knitted sweaters ( they were actually quite nice) and sewed pants- I hated the pants. All we wanted in the 70 ties was an ordinary pair of Jeans.

Back