Relearning old skills: Sewing

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Sewed, with a basic machine I still own, a 1957 Singer with a free arm. Did a lot of hand sewing, as well, for many years. I was the person responsible for quite a few years of dance and choir costumes in our family, as mom refused, and I was sort of ept.

Now, nothing. My sister sews; quilts, makes project bags. I do a button or a seam now and then.

Yesterday I finally got around to hemming a new pair of pants. 5 minutes of sewing resulted in two hours of trying to unpick black stitching on black pants. Seems like I'll have to continue that chore today or the pants will never get worn..

Yesterday I finally got around to hemming a new pair of pants. 5 minutes of sewing resulted in two hours of trying to unpick black stitching on black pants. Seems like I'll have to continue that chore today or the pants will never get worn..

Argh. I hope it goes better today.

Finally finished a table runner for my son and his bride. They live in the country. The farm animals are mostly moved to other people, only chickens are left, but the bride will spend her bride’s event in a therapeutic farm with hot tub and snuggling up with the animals.
Shown are front and back side of the same piece. Yes, I know, a platypus isn’t really a farm animal. But this one was made by a friend for my son years ago and I never finished it. Maybe we could see it as a beaver. The border is made from little quilt pieces, and was the most work.
35ED9A2D-5815-4A03-B2A3-C4074EFBEE9D.jpeg53A6DA5F-A544-47C7-ACE1-53D20072266D.jpeg

Do you perchance have a headlamp from your camping adventures? Those can be so helpful in this sort of task! My aging eyes love some extra light!

do you have a magnifying light? Husband gave me one for Christmas and I love it. It can be bolted to table, or on stand. It swings and bends

Easter gifts for the girls.

Found used denim jackets, then embroidered images from "The Unicorn Squad" embroidery library.

Bought fabric to make them dresses, with unicorns on the pockets as well.
We shall see. Ended up working a lot more than anticipated, plus other items taking my attention.
Haven't given up yet on getting the dresses done, but, as a friend said, the jackets are enough.

PXL_1-small.jpg pxl_2.jpg PXL_3small.jpg

WOW!! those jackets are incredible!! They will be over the moon with such a gift from grandma!

Had some fun with dresses.
Oh, how i still have so much to learn re jersey knits.

The pattern is Burda
Burda presumes some knowledge, but, also has good instructions. Lost a few hours as I could NOT figure out something. (then realized i was missing the letter B beside a set of instructions). Glad that I waited until i could understand it.

This dress is to go with the light blue denim unicorn jacket.

PXL_20230416_224500313.jpg PXL_20230416_224505172.jpg

The pocket took a bunch to figure out.
#1. Doing machine embroidery on a jersey knit required a good stabilizer on the back. It also did better after I put a wash/away stabilizer on the top.
#2. The pocket did not want to have a nice crisp edge. It was all over the map. Part of it was that I wasn't using my best machine, but part was when I was trying I did not have an iron-on interfacing. I added the interfacing, and it went on fine.

The dress kind of hangs, not the best picture, but, it has a lot of movement, and looked great when she tried it on for sizing. The hem is not visible when worn. It's a knit with a tiny hem. ignore the threads that i hadn't removed yet.

Little sisters is 3/4 done. Need to hem and put sleeves in. Pocket & side seams are done, but, don't like to use serger at night, as it is a bit noisy.
Little sister's dress sat for a few days whilst I looked at it and decided if I would rip it all out, or proceed. It was all about the pockets. I left it until I had moved onto big sister's with the new technique. it was SOOO much better that I knew my gut feeling was right.
Little sister's took a long more time, as i had struggled so much with the pockets, then, had to rip them all out. (I kept the dress, but threw away the pockets as had more material.

This is what i do to de-stress. It takes attention to detail, creativity, and well, just a willingness to start over.

Back