Physical Isolation: Things to do?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

One of my challenges tho is accessing flour at the moment - I usually purchase it at Bulk Barn - but I'm not so sure that's a good idea at the moment.
I buy lots from the Bulk Barn, including flour. I think that as long as you're planning to bake the flour for a length of time in the oven (cake or bread) then you'll kill any undesireable bacteria or viruses. (Or if it's in something boiling, like cheese sauce or gravy.)

So I experienced something new today: "No vehicle? No service" at a restaurant.

I've certainly seen "No shoes, no shirt? No service" but I've never seen "No vehicle? No service."

I thought I could walk into a Wendy's/Tim Horton's and place an order and walk out with it. The doors were locked,
I walked round to the window, and they said they would take my order, but next time I had to drive my car through the drive-through.

I told them there was no sign on the door that indicated they would only serve cars, not pedestrians.
I glanced across the street to the 3 condo complexes, and then asked the Wendy's staff: what about customers that don't own cars?
They told me they would not be serving pedestrian customers, and that was the Tim Horton's policy.

I then thought of the Tim Horton's (and similar fastfood places) that are in much bigger cities in a dense shopping area where there is no drive-through. Are they closed? Are they accepting pedestrian customers?

Anyone out there on WC2 notice what your Timmie's is doing?

So I experienced something new today: "No vehicle? No service" at a restaurant.

I've certainly seen "No shoes, no shirt? No service" but I've never seen "No vehicle? No service."

I thought I could walk into a Wendy's/Tim Horton's and place an order and walk out with it. The doors were locked,
I walked round to the window, and they said they would take my order, but next time I had to drive my car through the drive-through.

I told them there was no sign on the door that indicated they would only serve cars, not pedestrians.
I glanced across the street to the 3 condo complexes, and then asked the Wendy's staff: what about customers that don't own cars?
They told me they would not be serving pedestrian customers, and that was the Tim Horton's policy.

I then thought of the Tim Horton's (and similar fastfood places) that are in much bigger cities in a dense shopping area where there is no drive-through. Are they closed? Are they accepting pedestrian customers?

Anyone out there on WC2 notice what your Timmie's is doing?
This is a policy that has been in place for many drive thrus. I know people complain when hours are different for drive thru vs. inside - it's true for bikes most of the time too, not just pedestrians. The reasoning given is safety - they don't feel it's safe for pedestrians and bikes (and I can see that too, that type of situation could lead to a drive not noticing, the difference in distancing from typical road conditions).

I think right now they should at least be offering a phone & pickup service - could be outside, doesn't have to be inside for those not driving.

I think right now they should at least be offering a phone & pickup service - could be outside, doesn't have to be inside for those not driving.

That would be a good idea.

I thought I saw someone standing at a drive through here the other day. I'm not sure.

I do understand that in usual, normal times.
I do understand that if you want to get service at 2:00 am you have to go through the drive-thru only. (That allows the restaurant to
maintain minimal staff for the late shifts, and is safer to keep people out of the dining area at 2:00 am, and allows them to clean the dining area.)

But these are not normal, usual times.

They could, at least, post a sign on the locked doors indicating their phone number, so you could stand outside and call in your order, and they could bring it to you when ready. There was no communication of any kind that there was drive through only.

The closed access to places like fast food/coffee shops is very impactful for people who are homeless. They often rely on these locations (and libraries, public lobbies etc.) to keep warm, to use toilets, to WASH THEIR HANDS, to stay safe. I don't know where they are now - sad about that.

I was able to enjoy some visiting with friends at a suitable distance outside this afternoon. The view wasn't half bad either. 20200320_151421.jpg

This is a policy that has been in place for many drive thrus. I know people complain when hours are different for drive thru vs. inside - it's true for bikes most of the time too, not just pedestrians. The reasoning given is safety - they don't feel it's safe for pedestrians and bikes (and I can see that too, that type of situation could lead to a drive not noticing, the difference in distancing from typical road conditions).

I remember reading about a case when someone tried riding a horse through TH drive through and wasn’t served.....

The closed access to places like fast food/coffee shops is very impactful for people who are homeless. They often rely on these locations (and libraries, public lobbies etc.) to keep warm, to use toilets, to WASH THEIR HANDS, to stay safe. I don't know where they are now - sad about that.
Late at night, workers are vulnerable and having the doors locked is preferred in some fast food restaurants. I have sympathy for the homeless and the situation, but let's face it some (not all) can become violent(from drugs or major psychological problems) and it's not safe for young people to work with doors unlocked. Then there's just the jerks that might be hard to handle. I have a friend who is afraid to walk out or into her apartment building when she comes home late, because a homeless man is sometime sleeping in the entrance way before the lobby. He is often violent and cops need to be called.....although this might be infrequent, it usually just takes just once before doors are locked.

When I drive through McDonalds' for their $1.00 coffee, I get handed one coffee in a full tray so they don't risk touching me as they pass the coffee.....seems silly...and I could still get contaminated from them touching my coffee. And I'm stuck with a huge tray and it's harder and harder to find a garbage can at the drive through.(woe is me)....not really complaining
Getting wine today and we had to stand outside in a line up and we were let in, in groups of 3.
Shopping in Zehrs today.....all lanes would only accept debit.....no cash and all cashiers had gloves on.
When I used the touchscreen at the bank, the next customer behind me wiped down the whole machine before using it.....smart!
Yup times are a changing.....
Haven't seen many masks around my town though.

The governments are putting more effort in to help the than usual at least.

Shopping in Zehrs today.....all lanes would only accept debit.....no cash and all cashiers had gloves on.

Went to Walmart and we really wish they would get with the program and support tap. Mrs. M used a plastic bag as a makeshift glove to enter her PIN.

I was at Dolorama and the cashier said they no longer bag- you have to do it yourself- but she still had to touch everything and wasn’t wearing gloves. The cashier at Canadian Tire was wearing gloves and had a spray bottle handy. At Superstore, they were still bagging for you and no gloves and no disinfectant in sight for the cashier.

Both Walmarts I have been to recently had big bottles of hand sanitizer on the checkout counters, accessible to both patrons and staff. Of course, they had none actually for sale...

Best to take your own wipes for the grocery cart handles too.....if you have them.

Yeah, stores are mixed on that. The big Walmart near me had a guy wiping handles and my local Costco has wipes available but other stores, including another Walmart, left you to your own devices.

Back