Physical Isolation: Things to do?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

can I suggest that this is a good thing to do in isolation. This camp for children with cancer depends on money raised by this race to send kids to camp. In case you don’t know of camp Ooch, it is set up to allow children with cancer to go to summer camp, even while taking chemo

so let’s do a cross country run to help kids with cancer

I've been telling myself that too, Waterfall.

But (for me anyway) I'm unsettled.

You'd think that I would sleep more, with nowhere to go the next morning.
(My teens are sleeping until 10 most mornings, as they have nowhere to go when they wake up.)

But I find I'm not sleeping well at all.

I've been watching Hallmark romance movies (when I crave light, funny, happy ending fodder.)

And I've been watching HBO's "Westworld" (when I crave something more intense, and dystopic, and nihilistic fodder.)
Although I don't like the language or the misogyny of "Westworld", I am intrigues by the premise and the ingenious filming
of the same storyline over and over without making it boring.

But whether it's Hallmark or "Westworld," I find I can't sleep well.

I wonder if a change in activity level has affected your sleeping. Plan a long walk each afternoon to get some air and burn off some energy to help you sleep?

It's an unsettled time for sure. Finding that way to gear down and prepare for sleep is important - whatever it might be for you. Can take a while & lots of trying different things to find the right combo for you.

No screens within 2 hours of bedtime helps too (there's some science to support that.)

Hallmark to Westworld seems like you've got both ends of the spectrum covered - maybe some 'middle of the road' stuff? Do you watch Ellen?

Hallmark to Westworld seems like you've got both ends of the spectrum covered - maybe some 'middle of the road' stuff? Do you watch Ellen?

I guess Ellen qualifies as "the middle" between Hallmark and Westworld! :ROFLMAO:

I actually listen to an audiobook at bedtime, so I'm not having screen time at bedtime.

Slept better last night.
(And this time I played Trivial Pursuit with my teens before bed.)

It's miserable rainy today - so I guess I'll have to stick with the treadmill in the basement for my walk today.

A good to sit down with TurboTax and do my taxes today!

Trivial Pursuit? I haven't heard anyone mention that in in ages. Love that game. We sometimes played it as a team – parents against teenagers. Still remember Seelergirl and her teens throwing up her hands and saying "no wonder you and dad are winning; you've lived so long you should know more than us." We often played with other couples, men against women. Good memories.
I would think some of the questions would be quite dated now. Have they come out with newer versions?

I was able to connect with some knitting buddies up north via Zoom last night. It was cool. I imagine we'll see more use of that technology.

Yes Northwind - my friend's Al Anon group met via ZOOM last night - with 15 people participating.

Trivial Pursuit? I haven't heard anyone mention that in in ages. Love that game. We sometimes played it as a team – parents against teenagers. Still remember Seelergirl and her teens throwing up her hands and saying "no wonder you and dad are winning; you've lived so long you should know more than us." We often played with other couples, men against women. Good memories.
I would think some of the questions would be quite dated now. Have they come out with newer versions?
They did come out with many alternate versions - a "boomer" edition; a "silver screen" edition; others too I think, but those are the two we bought way back when. We found the questions in those actually much harder!! The classic was our favourite.

I went to the grocery store today.
I found myself pushing the cart through the aisles, looking for friends/acquaintances more than I was looking for items!

I found three friends to chat with, as well as 2 students from my grade 12 class who were worried about their graduation.
Tried to reassure them that all potential grads in ON (and pretty much all across Canada) were all in the same boat now, and that colleges and universities will know that.

My daughter has been washing dishes all day today (she's THAT bored.)
She made vegan panna cotta yesterday with coconut milk. It was very good!

Have they come out with newer versions?

Yep. They've putting out editions and card sets constantly throughout the years, though I think the ownership might have changed at some point. Most recently, there was a "Classic" edition in 2016 which had the original categories from the Genus Edition and an 80s edition that came out last year focussed on 80s pop culture.

The full list from Wikipedia:

I love the game but don't really have anyone to play with. Mrs. M isn't really into it and struggles with pop culture categories due to not growing up here.

I think will make a next project of making the best ever sourdough hot cross buns (I've never done them before) - that should keep me busy for a while! Has anybody ever made hot cross buns - even the yeasty ones? There's nothing quite like them - so delicious - and Easter IS coming .... now to find the perfect recipe ....

One of my challenges tho is accessing flour at the moment - I usually purchase it at Bulk Barn - but I'm not so sure that's a good idea at the moment. Although perhaps if I got there right at opening - presumably everything would have been sanitized after closing the night prior ...

One of my challenges tho is accessing flour at the moment - I usually purchase it at Bulk Barn - but I'm not so sure that's a good idea at the moment. Although perhaps if I got there right at opening - presumably everything would have been sanitized after closing the night prior ...

We tend to limit our purchases there to things like raw peanuts (which Mrs. M then cooks in various Chinese dishes) that we can't get elsewhere. Mrs. M just doesn't trust the bulk stuff to be clean even in good times.

*hand raised*----- I do, I do. We all love hot cross buns. I enjoy making them but nowadays I don't bother with the crosses. We renamed them Not Cross Buns which makes absolutely no difference to the yumminess.

Back