Observer

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

crazyheart

Rest In Peace: tomorrow,tomorrow
IT might only be me but I read Observer from front to back and IMO,

this was the most boring Observer I have read in a long time.

I don't get the paper copy but this thread prompted me to look it up online. Actually, the first article that caught my eye was very interesting, and, I thought, well written.
Not boring at all.

Clamour on campus

It points out something important. What I get out of it is that this "war" for/ against free speech is a front for advancing a far right agenda, a fairly extreme one - i.e. hire the most provocactive/ inflammatory speakers, and what they hope for is that angry protesters will show up and misbehave, or that the speakers will be banned...one way or another the event will be shut down...and then they have scored points - not for free speech itself - but for advancing an agenda that undermines equality and democracy itself. They are subverting progressive ideals. It's "Gamergate" style trolling on steroids. That's their weapon. If they "win" - if they were to succeed in achieving their vision - what will result is not a free, egalitarian society - but a far right misogynist, racist, ableist echo-chamber (the polar opposite of what they accuse the "liberal elite establishment" of) undermining social progress under the guise of free speech. What would result would be a dangerous, oppressive world to live in for anyone who is not white, male, able-bodied and LGBT.

It's not a zombie apocalypse trying to take over the world. Turns out it's a troll apocalypse. Forgive them for they know not what they do. Afterall, they started just for the "lulz".

Last edited:
I don't get the paper copy but this thread prompted me to look it up online. Actually, the first article that caught my eye was very interesting, and, I thought, well written.
Not boring at all.

Clamour on campus

It points out something important. What I get out of it is that this "war" for/ against free speech is a front for advancing a far right agenda, a fairly extreme one - i.e. hire the most provocactive/ inflammatory speakers, and what they hope for is that angry protesters will show up and misbehave, or that the speakers will be banned...one way or another the event will be shut down...and then they have scored points - not for free speech itself - but for advancing an agenda that undermines equality and democracy itself. They are subverting progressive ideals. It's "Gamergate" style trolling on steroids. That's their weapon. If they "win" - if they were to succeed in achieving their vision - what will result is not a free, egalitarian society - but a far right misogynist, racist, ableist echo-chamber (the polar opposite of what they accuse the "liberal elite establishment" of) undermining social progress under the guise of free speech. What would result would be a dangerous, oppressive world to live in for anyone who is not white, male, able-bodied and LGBT.

It's not a zombie apocalypse trying to take over the world. Turns out it's a troll apocalypse. Forgive them for they know not what they do. Afterall, they started just for the "lulz".
Correction: what would result would be a world that is dangerous and oppressive for anyone who is not white, male, able-bodied, and straight/ cisgender.

The alt-right is insidiously seeping in everywhere, under several guises, and it's really nefarious.

This world is very devious ... but many people believe it wonderful as they have collected the advantage to themselves as sacred and private ...

Thus one should be close-mouthed so as not to distress the powers ... they deserve lulz? or quiet time and so it is write, wrought, or rot ... inky black satyr?

I liked the article on travelling to countries where their is lots of begging. It could have been a bit more in depth-and talked about how else to give but overall I liked it.

I'm still working through the letters...and I have elderberries to jelly today, so probably won't be done today. I'm intrigued by the "speech on campus" one. It's a real dilemma, trying to present different viewpoints, and argue through them rationally without rancour.

Those dark ladies in the glades ... collecting nature as best they could considering the off ante sis ...

In England the glades can be the gorse ... off the main field of attention of sheep and goats ... in Eire this is the gloaming ... something to glom ... and may turnip as a gob of what you didn't expect ... life being a surprise to those dropping intuit!

Back