Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Actually, if you look at the projections the panel actually released, the possibility of it worsening, even in the new future, is still there. It is just that the current trend is away from the worst case. Assuming we continue to see a decline in the test positivity rate and new cases in the fourth wave, a winter surge would likely be labelled the "fifth wave".
Good to know....I guess I think more of lesser words like hibernation or dormancy ,(there's probably a better word that doesn't come to me right now) during a slower period, whereas a wave suggests worsening or critical conditions to me, ready to crash. Probably just me.
But more accurate language could be used IMO.

Good to know....I guess I think more of lesser words like hibernation or dormancy ,(there's probably a better word that doesn't come to me right now) during a slower period, whereas a wave suggests worsening or critical conditions to me, ready to crash. Probably just me.
But more accurate language could be used IMO.
I think considering the number of deaths, wave is fine to use. It doesn't have to be overwhelming healthcare. Wave is referring to the shape of the active cases in a graph.
I think you're thinking of remission, we didn't get close enough to COVID zero to be there IMO.

Here I do think of this as a 3rd wave, not 4th. Calgary has had 4 waves.

307 in the ICU, it wasn't that long ago when 310 was the max number of ICU spaces, with making extra spaces.

We currently have 373 ICU beds open in Alberta, including 200 additional spaces (a 115 per cent increase over our baseline of 173)," said James Wood with AHS in an email to CTV News. "AHS has opened 22 additional ICU surge spaces in the past seven days."

Wood confirmed there are 309 Albertans in the ICU, with the majority of those patients being treated for COVID-19.

I wish instead of pressuring AHS to open up more ICU beds Kenney and the UCP would take steps to reduce cases so we wouldn't have so many people needing care. Why is that so difficult? Why is the 4th wave so different from the others?

Imagine the wave and what comes in the wake as a following ... Finnegan? Always a shadowy cat ... perhaps a sign, icon or Semite of things that aren't right!

Excellent jab for the anti Semites ... they deny icons ... thus icons c' last ... if one regresses into the intellectual zone ... Ide can be put in order with a bit of cares and bother. Is that deep enough to allow it to come up as spore that appear in animism? That should animate some of them right into it!

Dear lord Ca Tyne ous ... what a myth! And these too ... go round!

Back on topic; in NB the disease is catching up on religion as churches up river have taught that the thing should be ignored (as possibly a scientific evil). It is said many of the believers are fundamentally ill with the devil's sickness that their pastor invited in.

Goes to show the old adage that some strange power assists those that can help themselves out of the way of what the mysterious power lays on them ...

In some communities there is always one that will take on the chore and fail because of what they do not understand ... as they have no love of understanding as spoken of in I Corinthians 13 on said topic that is often indisposed ... or otherwise eliminated by those not welcoming assistance from thots ... the book say test all things ... and the operation goes on ... as we are examined to see what we can do for ourselves without being destructive of the alternate ... an innate thing gone astray? So that's out ...

Generally the populace as paradigm do hate to see emerging thoughts as ... well too evolving for them to keep up ... it just follows as Jesus left his apostles ... well behind! Quick as a flash ... Jack? It bounced as a reflection ... mostly in a dark Mere ...

She will come down on the father for this ... and that's how the secular fits around ... as method of relaxation theodicy ... dic'y because what comes next ... no one knows! It is a cross over from body thing to spiritual essence ... Egyptian discovery in the sense of the Ka ... in double it may be a doppelganger as in Ж ... sometimes know as "khe" to the phonetic reflection! The spine is the axis ... quite a story can be built around the use of such doubles ... as parsed!

Then there is parse Amino ... and par simian ... monkey business ... mortals have alien emotions about it ... except when building up armies to be wasted!

In a complex the militant industrial item is said to bring physical wealth to a surviving few ... a clouded issue ... by aristo Kađs ...

There are said to be indications that we don't know what we do to ourselves ... and raise questions about Socrates' urge to know Thys elves ... considered a minor item of bother!

I leave the presence while scratching my head ... man that's bad! Some medical folks say the head is home of the greatest gonad! Gone what?

Last edited:
80% of hospitalized covid patients are coming into the emergency room within a month of being discharged. 17% end up being admitted. I wonder how those 17% end up being counted ie.are readmissions considering covid patients in hospital?

80% of hospitalized covid patients are coming into the emergency room within a month of being discharged. 17% end up being admitted. I wonder how those 17% end up being counted ie.are readmissions considering covid patients in hospital?

Can you imagine (abstract) an end as this continues to go on ... the never ending line as a topic of polity! Yet the disconnect is a virtue unseen ...

That is news to me! None of the people I know of who got Covid made a return visit to the hospital except one. That one was flown to the city and spent several days in ICU and sent back. The grapevine says ill health continues many weeks later.
I wonder if the people making return visits to Emergency departments NEED to do that. Many people here talk to their doctor first and avoid such a visit.

That is news to me! None of the people I know of who got Covid made a return visit to the hospital except one. That one was flown to the city and spent several days in ICU and sent back. The grapevine says ill health continues many weeks later.
I wonder if the people making return visits to Emergency departments NEED to do that. Many people here talk to their doctor first and avoid such a visit.
SOme of them may be some of the many people who do not have a doctor.

SOme of them may be some of the many people who do not have a doctor.
Precisely. Even London, which has a major medical school, has a shortage of family docs. My new doc just stopped taking patients (new guy who just finished his residency two years ago).

And I just saw a local reporter on Twitter doing research on family docs refusing to see children with possible COVID symptoms or requiring a negative test to see them, so that's another source.

I think the fact that 17% are admitted suggests a large portion do actually need to be seen right away. If someone has chest pain or difficulties breathing that has worsened, that's not really a wait and see the GP when they can fit you in type of thing. I also think people are being sent home faster than normally they would to make space for others. Despite what Kenney said it's not just about beds, they had reduced staff per patient well before the military was contacted to help.
When I think of the amount of people in the emergency room generally, I highly doubt for those who need to be there for quick treatment have an admission rate of 17%.

Do all 80% need to go there vs a walk in or GP? Probably not. It's not unusual to develop PTSD after requiring ICU care though and I think the rates with something like COVID would be higher and would surprise me to see that with others as well. So symptoms & a trauma disorder, sure in some cases they go to emergency room when they could have done otherwise, but my suspicions is it's less than half of the 80%.

I also wonder if because of overflowing hospitals, patients got discharged too early.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around elective surgeries being cancelled. If only some hospitals have ICU's, why aren't the ones who dont have ICU's still doing surgeries? Surely the doctors in these hospitals aren't all jumping to hospitals with ICU's? And a Covid quick test and vaccination would ensure no Covid patients wouldnt it?

I think that there's enough "non-elective" surgery that needs doing (cancer, cardiac, etc.), that COVID has just pushed "elective" (eyes, joint replacements, hernias, etc.) off the end of the page. Hospitals that have had to convert beds from "general" to "ICU" have pushed some things out to non-ICU hospitals.

In most of Canada, hospitals are extremely "bed-efficient" and there's NO extra staff capacity waiting in the wings. All these extra COVID cases have taken an efficient system and pushed it beyond its limits.

I think that there's enough "non-elective" surgery that needs doing (cancer, cardiac, etc.), that COVID has just pushed "elective" (eyes, joint replacements, hernias, etc.) off the end of the page.
Could be....just looking for an explanation.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around elective surgeries being cancelled. If only some hospitals have ICU's, why aren't the ones who dont have ICU's still doing surgeries? Surely the doctors in these hospitals aren't all jumping to hospitals with ICU's? And a Covid quick test and vaccination would ensure no Covid patients wouldnt it?
OR’s need an ICU in case of complications, unless it’s just to remove a mole.

My neighbours are having visitors from Quebec. They are double vaccinated and had filled out all paperwork needed to cross provincial borders. They stayed one night in NB before traveling to NS. She told me that nobody checked their paperwork or even asked them when crossing into NB. Nobody at their overnight place in NB checked them either. Coming into NS, they were checked at the border and checking into their Inn here they checked the vaccination status and the travel papers. She said: maybe that’s a sign why NS was doing so well with keeping Covid numbers down.

Back