Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Good article in today’s globe. Following staff for a week in Toronto. The ups and downs and issues of Covid in hospitals

cbc has a health newsletter that comes to me. Article about how Canada, China, Taiwan and Hong king were the only countries with deaths from SARS. So those are the other countries with experience and who we should compare ourselves too. And we come out really badly in comparison

trudeau destroying N95 masks and then not replacing them
shipping PPE to China and not keeping any for ourselves
not closing borders
no testing at airports
not suggesting masks
not discussing aesolization
not getting testing ramped up
not getting a simple message out
not buying instant testing
the issue of telling Canadians that we are too stupid to properly use masks and rapid home tests

and it goes on and on

we are critical of Trump , for some reason we give Trudeau a pass , even though our death rates in seniors is amongst the highest in the world
It appears to me that the problem is more so the reopening and not the immediate response in March. The border to US is still closed. Do we have any other ones? The re- opening is a matter of the Provinces- and that seems to be the problem. Trudeau was never someone to put a foot down, so he is just letting the Provinces do whatever.
I am not sure if he could order lockdowns in general? Quarantines for travel between Provinces?

Good article in today’s globe. Following staff for a week in Toronto. The ups and downs and issues of Covid in hospitals

cbc has a health newsletter that comes to me. Article about how Canada, China, Taiwan and Hong king were the only countries with deaths from SARS. So those are the other countries with experience and who we should compare ourselves too. And we come out really badly in comparison

trudeau destroying N95 masks and then not replacing them
shipping PPE to China and not keeping any for ourselves
not closing borders
no testing at airports
not suggesting masks
not discussing aesolization
not getting testing ramped up
not getting a simple message out
not buying instant testing
the issue of telling Canadians that we are too stupid to properly use masks and rapid home tests

and it goes on and on

we are critical of Trump , for some reason we give Trudeau a pass , even though our death rates in seniors is amongst the highest in the world
The drop on the monitoring aspect for health threats was a biggie for me. That wasn't all Trudeau, but he does take part of the blame.

It appears to me that the problem is more so the reopening and not the immediate response in March. The border to US is still closed. Do we have any other ones? The re- opening is a matter of the Provinces- and that seems to be the problem. Trudeau was never someone to put a foot down, so he is just letting the Provinces do whatever.
I am not sure if he could order lockdowns in general? Quarantines for travel between Provinces?
The border is a bit too open for my liking. When looking at which cities were most impacted early on, those with incoming international flights were a problem - I do think more should have been done then.

What about a national tracing app? Ridiculous that's still not an option.

The border is a bit too open for my liking. When looking at which cities were most impacted early on, those with incoming international flights were a problem - I do think more should have been done then.

What about a national tracing app? Ridiculous that's still not an option.
Which is entirely on the damn provinces right now. Because the actual testing and tracing happens provincially, they can't enable it in a given province unless that province is willing and able to support it. Which has been a problem with the whole situation in other areas, too (testing standards, public health actions, etc.).

The only solutions would be either a federal-provincial agreement that allows the feds to set some semblance of national standards in a crisis like this (possible but I shudder to think what the provinces would demand in return) or a constitutional amendment shifting public health to be a federal responsibility (not a ghost of a chance since any new round of constitutional talks would likely be about giving the provinces more powers and taking power away from the feds, not vice versa).

Which is entirely on the damn provinces right now. Because the actual testing and tracing happens provincially, they can't enable it in a given province unless that province is willing and able to support it. Which has been a problem with the whole situation in other areas, too (testing standards, public health actions, etc.).

The only solutions would be either a federal-provincial agreement that allows the feds to set some semblance of national standards in a crisis like this (possible but I shudder to think what the provinces would demand in return) or a constitutional amendment shifting public health to be a federal responsibility (not a ghost of a chance since any new round of constitutional talks would likely be about giving the provinces more powers and taking power away from the feds, not vice versa).
I've been trying to find why the app isn't available here, there's very little being said. I don't trust Kenney, but we did get an app out here rather quickly. I'm not sure who is to blame. I don't understand why the one put out by the federal government did roll out as it did.

Don't get too excited, especially if you're an Apple person. Read the post article below. Short version is that iPhone users are getting false alarms because the framework built into the system defines exposure differently than the app and issues its own notifications. Basically people get told they have exposures by the device, but when they open the app, it says that they have no exposure.

It always fascinates me how leadership always takes the heat for naivete in the common people (demos) and thus the terrible reflections by leaders on why thye wished that job.

I never wished to lead and thus the follow ship of learning from the poor headings ... when they (he*aDins) collapse nothing remains but the red neck ...

Did you know a "din" is a bit of chaos ... other times a coded ID #? They just lie there on the packaging ... like a selling point ... but poorly noted by the paradigm!

This is great.
That's good. The only problem I noticed (and I know it's just a fun cartoon but it has an important point to make) was that most of the characters crowded together singing "wear a mask" weren't wearing masks while they were singing. That might've made the point more strongly. I wonder why the animators didn't think of that.

That's good. The only problem I noticed (and I know it's just a fun cartoon but it has an important point to make) was that most of the characters crowded together singing "wear a mask" weren't wearing masks while they were singing. That might've made the point more strongly. I wonder why the animators didn't think of that.
I don't think they changed any of the original animation, just the song. Different skill sets to do the 2.

Parody is a form of social expression that reworks the material created by others for a new purpose.
(and I know it's just a fun cartoon but it has an important point to make)
This is an example of entertainment propaganda because it is explicitly designed to change people's behavior ...

explicitly designed to change people's behavior ...

Like MADD would like to modify behaviour so that people don't drive while impaired.

Like ACLU would like a move towards less racism.

Changing social behaviour is not necessarily a bad thing.

Eastern cultures are prone to be more social than individual. They have no problem with PPE.
Western cultures are prone to be more individual than social. They resist any attempt at "control" of their environment.

Parody is a form of social expression that reworks the material created by others for a new purpose.

This is an example of entertainment propaganda because it is explicitly designed to change people's behavior ...
Sounds like a good idea to me. Wearing masks when applicable is a good idea I think.

It’s difficult to make one-size-fits-all recommendations for situations that don’t readily lend themselves to a one-size-fits-all reality.
For some people the benefits of wearing a mask may not outweigh the risks.

Sure, in the case of babies, something struggling to breathe, some medical procedures that were done recently, etc. I do think exemptions are important and people who take an exemption when not needed are behaving like selfish a**holes.

Back