Nova Scotia shootings

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

The chaos continues without adequate facts ... a state of turbulence in the emotional state ... can you trump that indeterminate speculation ...

And, ironically, the girlfriend got away. She survived and was apparently the one who tipped the police off about the uniform and fake police car.

Listen carefully the info is just starting to emerge ... there is still chaos!

When considering the insanity ... how well do we identify this in leadership? It is a dark art ... something objected to by authority!

It doesn't Paan out well for those following blindly! No panache ...

Sometimes if you know something the tyrants don;t want you to know ... it is best to reside in the abstract!

I've been threatened for my obscurity ... and also isolated for even suggesting unseen information and intelligence beyond the ordinary. Folk really don't like to hear of it ... can lead to pan IHC ... ll in the greater story that is "out there ..."

Can you imagine a God syndrome operating here ... albeit in a shadowy zone that most would not probe or investigate to see what was good for all (pragmatism)? Does this syndrome operate freely at high levels of recklessness? Happens in a zone of flighty thoughts and bygone intelligence!

Understanding ... requires chit of love 'n care'n ... says so in I Corinthians 13 ... if read both ways ... goes along well with faith, hope and charity and they must be unified ... although tyrants would agrue against that! Separate and divide is the cry ...

God comes in a variety of shades ...

and everybody got the alert this time - so now we will see how long it takes before someone complains that they were bothered by the alert. I wonder how often police respond to "sounds like shots fired" calls ... guessing Nova Scotians will find out soon.

And as I went back just now to check the alert - there is this ... "RCMP have issued the all clear. Likely cause of the gunshot like noise believed to be backyard construction and an airsof rifle (not a firearm it’s like paintball)"

I don't think it's been reported much outside Canada. I posted about it on my writing boards, which are predominantly US and UK residents with a smattering of Aussies and Canucks, and that seemed to be the first they had heard about it.
I think I was not clear in my "jaw dropped" statement. I wasn't surprised at all that she had not heard about it. I certainly WAS surprised at the coincidence of speaking to someone this week in particular whose only visit to Canada had been to Portapique. Not a huge tourist destination.

and everybody got the alert this time - so now we will see how long it takes before someone complains that they were bothered by the alert. I wonder how often police respond to "sounds like shots fired" calls ... guessing Nova Scotians will find out soon.

And as I went back just now to check the alert - there is this ... "RCMP have issued the all clear. Likely cause of the gunshot like noise believed to be backyard construction and an airsof rifle (not a firearm it’s like paintball)"

Brett Ruskin at CBC posted a summary of the proceedings. Lots happening but none of it especially dangerous.

Many years ago my friend's son was at his frat house in Toronto. Was on the back fire escape with a friend, showing him how to use the paintball gun he was lending to him. Neighbour somewhere saw them & called police - swat team showed up for the 'weapons call'.

A way of life ... opposition creeps up on us as a wave of unseen ... people do not believe in the unseen ... due to alien nature of the item!

Thus the greatest fear ... fear all alone?

Many years ago my friend's son was at his frat house in Toronto. Was on the back fire escape with a friend, showing him how to use the paintball gun he was lending to him. Neighbour somewhere saw them & called police - swat team showed up for the 'weapons call'.
@paradox3 - it was kind of funny on the one hand; however they ended up laying charges for something like reckless use of a firearm or weapons dangerous or something like that - I guess they needed to justify their arrival? Who knew paintball guns were in such a category - I doubt most people would. It was a major charge and cost a LOT in legal fees (and stress) to go to court & get it dismissed.

paradox3 said:
I have a visceral reaction to anyone who says our entire country is mourning or grieving in situations like this.

Agreed.

paradox3 said:
We are shocked and saddened. We feel sorrow, perhaps, and empathy for the survivors. But I find it cheap talk to claim grief for oneself. I see it as the parallel of cultural appropriation, actually. Mourning and grieving belong to the bereaved IMO.

Picky picky.

Also agreed. I am saddened. Shock wore off pretty quickly. Sure this kind of thing doesn't happen in Canada regularly. It happens next door much more frequently. I'm not grieving because I was not in a position to have lost anyone. They are all strangers to me. I have a colleague in ministry (we've corresponded but I would not say that I know her" She was a friend of the Mountie who died. She is grieving.

I'm not sure if it is a grief addiction or a grief appropriation at work in so many. It certainly has something to do with the individual doing the appropriating. The dead are mere props to prove that "I" am hurting and needing more attention.

I read (CBC News) that on retirement, RCMP officers are expected to turn in their uniforms or destroy them. There is probably very little follow-up done to make sure the retirees have complied.

At the past Remembrance Sunday Service where I was guest preaching. We had an honour guard of roughly 11 RCMP officers. Every single one of them parked their hats on the coat rack which is not visible from the Sanctuary. I thought it would have been ridiculously easy to acquire 11 RCMP stetsons. That is as far as I go in life of crime.

Is it that people are grieving those lost or their own loss of "innocence" or "sense of security" because something we associate with US gun culture happened here? No so much appropriation as misplaced grief.

Someone at work pointed out that the conflict setting it off started at a house party in Portapique. So much to social distancing in rural NS :confused:

Is it that people are grieving those lost or their own loss of "innocence" or "sense of security" because something we associate with US gun culture happened here? No so much appropriation as misplaced grief.
It still bothers me to equate a personal loss with a loss of innocence or security. I understand the angst involved in losing these things but I still think it is a stretch to call it "grief".

It still bothers me to equate a personal loss with a loss of innocence or security. I understand the angst involved in losing these things but I still think it is a stretch to call it "grief".

But I hear psych and soc professionals treating it that way now and using that language so can we fault the public for following their lead? I know "grief" is supposed to be about a serious personal loss like a death or losing a limb or something, but apparently other losses are similar enough to prompt the use of the word. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's the reality.

Back