Northwind's health updates

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Not entirely, PP, but there's a "no fixed address" problem that is definitely known to my beloved son that might also be a bit of a process problem for @Northwind. We're a bit fixated on addresses.

If you get seriously ill in Canada, are you expected to head for your home province -or get bombarded with forms, etc? (I mean I love your trains - but enough is enough!

That's how I felt through that conversation. I also felt like a second class citizen. I told her we had come here for the winter and had planned to leave at the end of March. She did not seem to understand that.

Since writing that post above I've come across some resources for women going to breast cancer. I'll look into that too.

Hopefully I will hear from the cancer agency tomorrow and will know more. I will be expressing my frustration at my first contact. That was unacceptable. I do understand they have difficult things to communicate. They do not have to make it worse.

I've poured myself a cup of calming tea. I've also taken some Melatonin.

Not entirely, PP, but there's a "no fixed address" problem that is definitely known to my beloved son that might also be a bit of a process problem for @Northwind. We're a bit fixated on addresses.

Actually I do have an address as far as they are concerned. It's in Alberta and I've been in BC for six months. I have wheels under me so I'm not fully in a fixed address either. The woman I spoke with didn't seem to understand which box I belonged in.....

Not sure what you mean? If someone who is homeless collapses in the street here in Oz he/she is taken to a hospital. Treated - but many end up back on the streets again......

Not sure what you mean? If someone who is homeless collapses in the street here in Oz he/she is taken to a hospital. Treated - but many end up back on the streets again......
Healthcare is covered provincially. So some provinces pay for some things while others do not. I.e. in NS you don’t get a wheelchair paid for while in other provinces you might. If it isn’t covered, you have to pay for it yourself or have private insurance. If I remember right, you are actually supposed to let your provincial insurance know if you leave the province for more than three weeks. People will get treatment, but the billing can be an issue, as they have to bill the province where you live.

I'm really sorry to hear about the troubles you"re having....big hugs.
Is it possible you could use a relatives address in BC as your permanent address and continue to use your own phone number? You wouldnt have to explain rhat you're living at various campgrounds.Your relatives could notify you immediately if any mail came for you?
Just a thought.

May I sit with you for a while? Feel free to dump out your fears and frustrations with the messed up 'health care system' that seems to work very hard at making life more complex than necessary.

We will be able to use my sister's address as a BC address. You have to have a "permanent" address for various things like driver's licence. So, we do have that in Alberta. We will likely transition to BC soon.

Thanks for the support. :love:

If someone who is homeless collapses in the street here in Oz he/she is taken to a hospital.

Same thing here. However, if a person has an abssessed tooth which requires medical attention, they're going to have a hard time getting it until they get their health care situation sorted out, and with no address, that's a challenge.

The woman I spoke with didn't seem to understand which box I belonged in.....
I think you've nailed the problem right there - you don't fit the usual boxes & that throws the lower level bureaucrats into chaos - they don't know what do and blame the patient. I trust that your face-to-face meeting will be MUCH better and there should certainly be capable health team to sort this stuff out with you. Hoping the melatonin & calming tea helped with some sleep last night.

I did have a good sleep last night and feel better this morning. I've talked to the Alberta Health insurance people. I also heard from the oncologist and have an appointment on Wednesday afternoon. She wanted to know whether she needed to help me get connected to someone in Alberta. I told her we planned to stay here and why. I also told her about the awful phone call yesterday. Then I heard from the surgeon's office so was able to update her. She told me the surgeon's MO is to go to bat for patients and that reaffirmed that I was in good hands.

I'm looking at 4-6 months of chemo. Looks like we're in it for the long haul.

So complex getting this stuff sorted out. And we are reasonably intelligent, well educated people with intact cognitive abilities and look how challenging it is. This does make me wonder & worry for those who are less able to deal with information overload, complex systems, and illness to top it all off. How on earth they manage is beyond me. I guess often they just don't, which is sad.

There also seem to be some silly hoops too. Have an appointment next week that was made 2 weeks ago. Originally it was to be in June, but then my ability to order blood products would expire tomorrow.
Had a call from pre-registration yesterday to confirm everything. Now a voicemail left to call back to confirm my appointment - isn't that the point of pre-registration?

The good news is that if you become a BC resident there are "seniors" rates for BC Ferries. Trying to find the silver lining.

We have the inter-provincial issue at the Eastern edge of BC too. Folks living in BC where closest city is Calgary AB being told to drive to Kelowna for services instead. AB is refusing to treat them.

There are agreements between BC and AB up north. Often Grande Prairie is the best spot for some BC Peace residents. Edmonton is as well.

I talked to the frustrating woman again today. She was fine. Apparently now that I'm in a box she can communicate.

I got a call from the hospital. The oncologist has ordered an echocardiogram. There was a cancellation while I was on the phone so I go in just over a week.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the issue isn’t unique. We forget in Canada that while health care rules are federal, health care is delivered provincially. When you leave your province of residence you are not covered. You could be in the USA or Europe, or another part of Canada. You need to get supplementary blue cross type coverage

And that is the entire issue of declaring your health status and being refused coverage if you skip something.........

In Ontario, OHIP is paid for by our provincial taxes. It is why it only covers people in Ontario. And different provinces pay for different things, somewhat. There isn’t a ton of differences. But to receive OHIP you have to have been living here for three months and apply for it

I expect BC is similar and that is why they are giving you a hard time. An easy option would be to return to your permanent home for treatment. although in Ontario for instance you have to also be careful how much time you are out of the province or you lose your coverage

I never realized the health coverage issue until hubby smashed his elbow skiing in Quebec. He didn’t qualify for surgery in Montreal. Likely it would have been paid for by OHIP but unsure. So he flew home to Toronto for surgery while I drove the kids and I back

I am sorry you had this added stress. I hope this helps explain why a bit. Health care is a provincial issue, like education

Oh and to Pilgrim. Yes, anyone who collapses in the street or whatever and became ill would be cared for in the hospital. The issue might come up at discharge about costs. Maybe. There is a certain amount of slack in the system. We once had a baby born at 26 weeks, parents were on vacation from Ireland. Baby was four months in hospital. Dad went home, mom stayed. No cost for hospital. In fact we nurses raised money to buy dad a plane ticket to Canada fir a Christmas surprise

I expect BC is similar and that is why they are giving you a hard time. An easy option would be to return to your permanent home for treatment. although in Ontario for instance you have to also be careful how much time you are out of the province or you lose your coverage

The reason this was questioned was out of province is covered for three months. I'll need longer treatment. Three months is the standard across Canada and that is likely because of the Canada Health Act. I have checked with Alberta Health and I will be covered for three months once I've applied for BC Health. This is also standard. It was that way when I went from Ontario to BC.

It will not be easier for me to return to Alberta for a variety of reasons. Thankfully, the oncologist recognized that and did not see that as my only option.

I didn't fit in a neat box for the woman who gave me a hard time. I have spoken to her since that horrible conversation and realize she did not likely mean to cause me grief. She did though. Now that she knows where I fit, her communication is much clearer.

I am sorry you had this added stress. I hope this helps explain why a bit. Health care is a provincial issue, like education

I just needed to respond to this comment too. I am well aware that health care is provincial. As part of my education, I had to learn about the Canada Health Act. Of course the act has changed since that time. Nevertheless, it remains the framework for our system. I am also aware that you are required to spend a specific amount of time in the province that insures you in order to remain covered

Back