If my church had 1/2 million it should..........

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

unsafe

Reaction score
GeoFee --you said ---Let’s leave it there for now.

I say ---ya I think that is best ----

GordW

Church-Geek-Oramus
Reaction score
Redbaron --you said ----Just for the record, Tanakh is an abbreviation for the Hebrew Scripture that includes Law, Writings, and prophets. Maybe you should take the time to read more carefully, or look up words you don't understand.

I say --why would I look up what Judaism called the old testament -----I am not into Judaism --and your using that as a cop out cause Jesus did mention Isaiah and verses in the synagogue in Luke 4 ---which says to me He was reading probably not from your Tanakh ---if this Tanakh has no chapter and verse marking ----

So Redbaron -------give me the Scripture that says Jesus was actually reading from this Tanakh -----
In the quote you gave it says NOTHING about Jesus saying verses. It has Jesus saying "these words". The narration mentions which book/scroll he is reading from, and suggests that there is a way of marking what the assigned text for the day was (it appears Judaism of the time ma have had its own version of a lectionary) but says nothing about chapters or verses.

And What you call the Old Testament is the Tanakh, though Jewish tradition has the books in a different order. If an observant Jew in the first century is reading from Scripture they would be reading from what is now referred to as the Tanakh, of the Old Testament, or the Hebrew Scriptures.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
(it appears Judaism of the time ma have had its own version of a lectionary)

They do, to this day. The five books of Moses, the Torah, were divided into 54 portions. Readings from other parts of the Tanakh, like the Prophets, are added seasonally. It's very similar to the common lectionary, with the core Gospel Passages, then Old Testament, Psalm, Epistle as options.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
And Jesus would NOT have been reading from the Septaguint. It's a Greek translation. He would have been reading from the prophet Isaiah in Hebrew.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Thanks, Mendalla. I preach, then fall down the rabbit hole.

$500,000 at current interest rates doesn't create a huge amount of interest to work with.

How about a local "Kiva"-type fund. Small loans to creative/industrious individuals who need a little bit of capital, for a sewing machine, or an oven, to make their dream work?

Luce NDs

Reaction score
George speaks wisdom folks. Tabitha asked for advice on what to do with a bequest, not a debate about Bible scholarship.

Such is gospel ... truth is wandering among the words as they fly!

Kind of like E Fey merahl ... flighty in one form of the metaphor as word alters going round the table!

In eastern traditions merah is a word for the deep pool ... conflict and anarchy thus EN Sues ...

Tabitha

journeying
Reaction score
Thanks all for the iput. I am just a congregation member at this point.
Yes in has been invested for now as per the suggestions given.
We rent our building and have no access to land for a park (or playground) and purchasing such, even if it was available would use all the money and then some.
We are in a small city.

It did make me reflect on when the same gift was given to the congregation I attended in Edmonton. The giftee was not known to the church, but she lived a few block away. There was a life lease cause but when the renter moved out the church sold the house.
Now the mentality of the church was "our reserves are dwindling". They laid off their children and young families full time staff and hired a lay childrens worker for 12 hours a week. Several years later and their youth group is down from 30 to 3.

I suggested at the congregational meeting that the church share its financial blessing, perhaps a 10% donation? The Board agreed and money was given 3 ways: to a new congregation in the new housing developments, to Habitat for Humanity, and to a M and S supported outreach program.
The rest was kept and later used for building remodels-along with fundraising.

So I need to write our current Board and ask for the 10% donation I think.