If my church had 1/2 million it should..........

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I would suggest that a parish nursing program would be a very difficult thing to organize. Nursing and health care is very strictly supervised. A RN and a church would need to take out major malpractice insurance and the set up to meet health and safety rules would be onerous
But there are churches doing it as I understand it. And the whole point of using the large donation for it would be cover costs like that. You'd invest the principle and use the income to finance the ongoing costs of the program. Especially if you hosted it in the church so that rent would not be an issue.

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
Reaction score
There is proper etiquette.for quoting scripture --encase you didn't know -----
Was Jesus a follower of “proper etiquette” when he spoke to the people of his day? It seems to me Jesus offended those who adhered to “proper etiquette” as the way of righteousness.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

It is the living word of God within my being that inspires and encourages me in these dark days. That living word also inspired the assorted authors of the Bible. What they wrote offers instruction regarding the way of faith. To present the Bible as the living word of God is an error. This leads to the Christian idolatry now bringing ruin to the earth and its peoples.

Two voices supportive of my viewpoint:

The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” Romans

The word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.” Deuteronomy

GeoFee

Reaction score
Yes... Paul is quoting Deuteronomy. I take it as the affirmation of a key insight.

unsafe

Reaction score
GeoFee ====your quote ----Was Jesus a follower of “proper etiquette”

I say --LOL ---and your comparing yourself to Jesus who is God and who is the Living word -----now that takes the cake -----Satan has you diluted I think ----

etiquette defined ----you know what is expected of you, it is expected behavior that shows respect, and gratitude

I say ----Jesus certainty did follow proper etiquette ----He did what His Father told Him to do and He did it out of respect for His Father's will to give Him the Glory -----and He followed all formal requirements of the laws ----and in regards to how He was with the Pharisees ----there is Righteous Judgement and He used it when necessary ----and never sinned once -----

You said -----To present the Bible as the living word of God is an error. This leads to the Christian idolatry now bringing ruin to the earth and its peoples.

I say ----and yet you quote this verse ------“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

So if the word was God is God Dead ----How can God be the word and the word not live if God lives today -----Jesus is alive and active today is He not ----Wasn't He raised from being dead -----and Jesus is the word is He not -----so the word has to be alive and active today ----

I say ---LOL -----Well this scripture disagrees with you -----read all if you wish

Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart” (ESV).

You said ----

The word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.” Deuteronomy

I say --
--Oh really ---and what is the view point that these verses support for you ----do you know what message these verses are conveying or did you just pick them to suit what viewpoint your trying to support ---that is the real question ------if you believe the word is not alive and active how can it get near you ---or how can it get in your mouth ---or how can it get in your heart ------

Then you contradict your belief that the word is not alive by saying this -----your quote here ------

It is the living word of God within my being that inspires and encourages me in these dark days.

Sounds like your a bit confused about this subject -----to me

Luce NDs

Reaction score
You know, it crosses my mind that half a million dollars could be used to set up a parish nursing program; that would be a good form of outreach to the community. Just a thought.

May I also take a moment to point out that in all the gospel passages in which Jesus refers to scripture, he never once refers to chapter and verse. Likely because the bible hadn't been chopped up into chapters and verses at that point. So far as finding a passage when someone else mentions a story or saying, one could always take 3 minutes and look it up in a concordance.

How does one chop up an oral tradition?

Give it to a monarchist! Create chaos in the greater story ... burn all previous versions ...

Luce NDs

Reaction score
GeoFee ====your quote ----Was Jesus a follower of “proper etiquette”

I say --LOL ---and your comparing yourself to Jesus who is God and who is the Living word -----now that takes the cake -----Satan has you diluted I think ----

etiquette defined ----you know what is expected of you, it is expected behavior that shows respect, and gratitude

I say ----Jesus certainty did follow proper etiquette ----He did what His Father told Him to do and He did it out of respect for His Father's will to give Him the Glory -----and He followed all formal requirements of the laws ----and in regards to how He was with the Pharisees ----there is Righteous Judgement and He used it when necessary ----and never sinned once -----

You said -----To present the Bible as the living word of God is an error. This leads to the Christian idolatry now bringing ruin to the earth and its peoples.

I say ----and yet you quote this verse ------“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

So if the word was God is God Dead ----How can God be the word and the word not live if God lives today -----Jesus is alive and active today is He not ----Wasn't He raised from being dead -----and Jesus is the word is He not -----so the word has to be alive and active today ----

I say ---LOL -----Well this scripture disagrees with you -----read all if you wish

Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart” (ESV).

You said ----

I say --
--Oh really ---and what is the view point that these verses support for you ----do you know what message these verses are conveying or did you just pick them to suit what viewpoint your trying to support ---that is the real question ------if you believe the word is not alive and active how can it get near you ---or how can it get in your mouth ---or how can it get in your heart ------

Then you contradict your belief that the word is not alive by saying this -----your quote here ------

It is the living word of God within my being that inspires and encourages me in these dark days.

Sounds like your a bit confused about this subject -----to me

Sounds kind of judgemental in a court room where we don't find the corners easily ... as they are eternal ... not fixated as during institutionalization!

Reminds me of that organization called Four Points of the Compass ... if missing a point it could be painfully lodged! A forth coming side of triads?

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
in all the gospel passages in which Jesus refers to scripture, he never once refers to chapter and verse. Likely because the bible hadn't been chopped up into chapters and verses at that point.

In fact, when Jesus refers to "scripture", he refers only to the Tanakh, which, to this day, in it's scrolled form, as read by the cantor in the synagogue, STILL has no chapter and verse markings.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
In fact, when Jesus refers to "scripture", he refers only to the Tanakh, which, to this day, in it's scrolled form, as read by the cantor in the synagogue, STILL has no chapter and verse markings.
I should probably know this (and maybe I am just forgetting), but was the chapter and verse system a Christian thing or did it have Jewish antecedents?

GeoFee

Reaction score
I say --LOL ---and your comparing yourself to Jesus who is God and who is the Living word -----now that takes the cake -----Satan has you diluted I think
I am a follower of Jesus inspired by the Holy Spirit. As scripture says:

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.”

unsafe

Reaction score
Redbaron said:
in all the gospel passages in which Jesus refers to scripture, he never once refers to chapter and verse. Likely because the bible hadn't been chopped up into chapters and verses at that point.

BetteTheRed ------you said ------In fact, when Jesus refers to "scripture", he refers only to the Tanakh, which, to this day, in it's scrolled form, as read by the cantor in the synagogue, STILL has no chapter and verse markings.

I say
Well you both better read this in Luke ----shows you don't know scripture very well ----verse 17 ---Chapter given and verses given ------

Luke 4:16-21 (ERV)​

Jesus Goes to His Hometown​

16 Jesus traveled to Nazareth, the town where he grew up. On the Sabbath day he went to the synagogue as he always did. He stood up to read. 17 The book of Isaiah the prophet was given to him. He opened the book and found the place where this is written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me.
He has chosen me to tell good news to the poor.
He sent me to tell prisoners that they are free
and to tell the blind that they can see again.
He sent me to free those who have been treated badly
19 and to announce that the time has come for the Lord to show his kindness.”

20 Jesus closed the book, gave it back to the helper, and sat down. As everyone in the synagogue watched him closely, 21 he began to speak to them. He said, “While you heard me reading these words just now, they were coming true!”

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
Reaction score
Oh my, is Satan diluting people again? Couldn't we cut off his water supply to prevent his doing that?

BetteTheRed ------you said ------In fact, when Jesus refers to "scripture", he refers only to the Tanakh, which, to this day, in it's scrolled form, as read by the cantor in the synagogue, STILL has no chapter and verse markings.

I say
Well you both better read this in Luke ----shows you don't know scripture very well ----verse 17 ---Chapter given and verses given
Just for the record, Tanakh is an abbreviation for the Hebrew Scripture that includes Law, Writings, and prophets. Maybe you should take the time to read more carefully, or look up words you don't understand.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I should probably know this (and maybe I am just forgetting), but was the chapter and verse system a Christian thing or did it have Jewish antecedents?

I didn't know this, either, although I knew from visual inspection that the scrolls read in a modern synagogue certainly have no numbered verses, but there are "full stops".

It appears that the chapter verse system arose independently in the two traditions (earlier in Judaism than Christianity), resulting in some differences in chapter/verse between the Hebrew Masoretic Text, and the "Old Testament" we use. The numbering seems to have arisen coincident with the revolution of the printing press.

*bows to Wiki*

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Just for the record, Tanakh is an abbreviation for the Hebrew Scripture that includes Law, Writings, and prophets. Maybe you should take the time to read more carefully, or look up words you don't understand.

And possibly, I am at fault. I recognize that I know more about Judaism than some, having somewhat immersed myself in it, totally as a gentile, over the years, and sometimes refer somewhat casually to things that a "pew Christian" mightn't generally know. Thanks for clarifying that for unsafe, Red.

unsafe

Reaction score
GeoFee ---you said -----

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.”

I say ---so if you believe the word which is the Scripture ----is not alive and active ----how did you get the indwelling of the Holy Spirit ---because you would have had to read the scripture to know that you could have the indwelling of the Holy spirit and how to get it --------Receive Jesus as your Lord and Saviour -----so you would have to believe and receive the word which would make it alive and active ------to really have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit --

You can only be crucified with Christ by believing and receiving what the word says ------again you have to believe the word does what it says -----so it has to be alive and active ----

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
And, recognizing my part in this diversion, can we please go back to talk about "what to do about 500,000 dollars"?

I had a little yack with my young youth minister friend (now working full time on Youth Work with our region) a couple of days ago (and he was in the sanctuary with the Rev this morning doing a dialogue), about the idea of "parishing" - working with other geographically nearby UCCan congregations on various projects to create the kind of critical mass of resources needed to meet needs in the community.

It gets quite hampered by our Congregationalist roots, I find.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Before I would do anything like start a youth drop in, or food bank or any number of countless other ideas I would do some neighborhood surveys. So often groups have a great idea and then find out xyz church is doing the same thing i mile away

but depending on your space things like drop in centers , depending on Covid issues, or youth counseling, call centers, youth basketball,

what is missing in the area your church is in? In the community what is missing that you could fill the need

GeoFee

Reaction score
And, recognizing my part in this diversion, can we please go back to talk about "what to do about 500,000 dollars"?

I had a little yack with my young youth minister friend (now working full time on Youth Work with our region) a couple of days ago (and he was in the sanctuary with the Rev this morning doing a dialogue), about the idea of "parishing" - working with other geographically nearby UCCan congregations on various projects to create the kind of critical mass of resources needed to meet needs in the community.

It gets quite hampered by our Congregationalist roots, I find.
Okey Dokey

GeoFee

Reaction score
GeoFee ---you said -----

I say ---so if you believe the word which is the Scripture ----is not alive and active ----how did you get the indwelling of the Holy Spirit ---because you would have had to read the scripture to know that you could have the indwelling of the Holy spirit and how to get it --------Receive Jesus as your Lord and Saviour -----so you would have to believe and receive the word which would make it alive and active ------to really have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit --

You can only be crucified with Christ by believing and receiving what the word says ------again you have to believe the word does what it says -----so it has to be alive and active ----
Let’s leave it there for now.

unsafe

Reaction score
Redbaron --you said ----Just for the record, Tanakh is an abbreviation for the Hebrew Scripture that includes Law, Writings, and prophets. Maybe you should take the time to read more carefully, or look up words you don't understand.

I say --why would I look up what Judaism called the old testament -----I am not into Judaism --and your using that as a cop out cause Jesus did mention Isaiah and verses in the synagogue in Luke 4 ---which says to me He was reading probably not from your Tanakh ---if this Tanakh has no chapter and verse marking ----

So Redbaron -------give me the Scripture that says Jesus was actually reading from this Tanakh -----

from google

People also ask​

What books are included in the Septuagint?
The Septuagint has four: law, history, poetry, and prophets.

I say -------It could have been from this -He Quoted -????---- Jesus and the Apostles studied, memorized, used, quoted, and read most often from the Bible of their day, the Septuagint.

Read all -----here ---https://www.scionofzion.com/septuagint2.htm

Now back to thread title ------