How was church today?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Seeler

How was church today?
This Sunday we had our congregational picnic when we gathered at a large park, under the trees, not far from the duck pond where we could hear the water in the central fountain, and flowing out down a little brook.
All ages from a toddler - watched carefully by her 3 year old sister to an elderly woman assisted with her walker by her caring husband. Almost as large a congregation as we would expect at a regular service this time of year, and some who rarely attend.
Beautiful day - blue sky, clear air, just enough breeze to keep the mosquitos down.
As I drove out to pick up my grandson I heard on CBC a children’s choir singing "It’s a Wonderful World".
We arrived early - watched the ducks for a bit. Grandson climbed a tree.
Then we wondered over, set up our chairs, and handed out bulletins with the order of service and the hymns printed. Our choir director set up his guitar.
The service was short, hymns, scripture (the first chapter of Genesis which is being discussed in another thread but which was made real for us in the natural setting. A short reflection about caring for the world we have been given - and making a difference.
Then the games - a big parachute to shake, a cloths-pin game, water balloons. I participated just long enough to get Grandson involved and then went to sit with the on-lookers as children of all ages, and a few playful adults, chased and laughed. Hot-dogs, chips, rainbow cake, juices and coolers with water.
A year ago Grandson would have been hanging around me - or sitting off by himself. He had some unfortunate experiences in grade that left him shy and withdrawn. Today he was mixing with the others, joining in. I looked over once and saw him sitting with some other boys eating a hot-dog. Later it was a chunk of chocolate cake. He’s going to have good memories of being at church today and maybe be eager for VBS in the fall.
And I came home my soul refreshed. God is good.

How was church for you?

Ours was lovely as well, and also involved a picnic! We had a service at the church today, Sunday school and nursery school certificates handed out and leaders/teachers thanked. Also aboriginal sunday, so some lovely prayers, and a video as part of the sermon about the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, very moving.

After church, we went for a picnic at one of our members' farms. It's often rainy on picnic Sunday, but not this year; the sun shone, the kids played, the adults laughed and yacked. My new "massaged" kale salad was a hit; must try and remember the ingredients while the prep is still fresh, as I had several requests for the 'recipe' (which, if you have any idea how I cook, is quite laughable). Said farm has a petting zoo, we had a few games, it was just lovely. One of our younger women revealed only very recently that she plays the violin/fiddle, so she played during the service, and a few fiddle tunes after our meal. She is, unfortunately, moving on next month as her husband has been posted to another CFB, so we're glad she shared with us today!

Last full service before we go to our small group summer format and was lay-led by myself and another member (we are now, as I think I mentioned in a thread on WC, more or less a lay-led congregation though we don't officially lose our minister for another two months). The topic was "UUs Strive to Relate Differently" and I did a short reflection on the fourth principle (see the relevant thread in R&F) along with leading most of the first half of the service, while the other member delivered the sermon. Songs were all old favorites including "Spirit of Life" which I know is well-loved by some in the UCCan as well. Our pianist brought along a guitar player who joined her on a lovely performance of "Red River Valley" as the postlude. The speaker had a good sermon but his delivery tends to be a bit more like a lecture than a sermon.

Great church today. I preached this morning at my home church - then taught Sunday School at another church. Now I am so very tired. Me want nap.

You're getting busy, Pastor. Watch that. Burnout is a professional hazard in your calling.

Reactions: Jae
You're getting busy, Pastor. Watch that. Burnout is a professional hazard in your calling.

Thanks Mendalla. That's a fair warning. I think I'm feeling a bit of that burnout today. I only got about five hours sleep last night - and have had a headache all day.

"Church" for me today was here and knitting. It is a sunny warm day here and it is nice to enjoy the sunshine. Our congregation had a picnic at a member's farm. It was a good day for it and I hope it went well.

We had two members of our congregation who went out kayaking Sunday morning. It was great. By the time they got home and a quick shower, they arrived at the picnic site just as everything was winding down. We got them a hot-dog and a drink, some good conversation about kayaking on the Nashwaak and other things, and they helped with the clean-up.

really neet

didn't get to see the resident Osprey

but i got to meet an old acquaintance of mine that i didn't recognize right away

there are many paths around this pond. popular pond.

there was a point when i heard this distant but rather unsettling loud sound and i stopped to try to identify it. each time it repeated, i would come up with a different interpretation. animal in trouble? woman being raped? i settled on a guy hooting it up.

when i got to the pond, i heard the scream and saw that it was someone i've met many times before. he's one of these people with Tourette's. a Tourette's that could jam radar.

i also got to see a family taking their own sweet time picking the various salmon berries. i passed them both to and from the lake.

overall, another nice church outing

Back