Expansion of MAID delayed until after next election

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

From the recipient’s perspective, a living donor is preferable because the donated organ typically functions better. Also, because living donations are arranged outside of the deceased donor system, recipients needn’t wait until deteriorating health moves them to the front of the waitlist, so they are typically in better condition to endure surgery.

From the recipient’s perspective, a living donor is preferable because the donated organ typically functions better. Also, because living donations are arranged outside of the deceased donor system, recipients needn’t wait until deteriorating health moves them to the front of the waitlist, so they are typically in better condition to endure surgery.
Aren't we gonna stop using organ transplants soon?

What with stem cell research etc?

Recipients of illicit organs are usually from wealthier countries such as Canada. Legislative attempts in Canada to strengthen federal laws relating to organ trafficking have been unsuccessful thus far. While some international and domestic initiatives to prevent and prohibit organ trafficking have had positive results, this underground crime remains a pervasive worldwide problem.

"What with stem cell research etc?" - Delightful Life

With apologies for going off topic.

I fear that the use of embryos created for research purposes ultimately leads to commodification of women.
I am aware of the utilitarian argument (fetal tissue from elective abortions and embryos from fertility treatments are going to be discarded anyway), but when it comes to commercialization of tissue harvesting for this kind of research, in my opinion, the end does not justify the means. I am of the same opinion when it comes to organ harvesting through the process of MAID.

The best way to retain shares ... usually is an anal retentive dream ... Freud on Ego and irregular awareness ... and much relief and the rests!

Impose this on the populace! What's the populace? A kind of popular numbed state ... especially by large shareholders forming chi marah (Xi Maria, chez Sue)! Thus depression is with you ... and life's ups and downs, etc. all ove the above ... spatial? Escape ism in non existentialism ... paen makes yu into a super Ecko ... an it comes off the distant Wahls ... beasts of the great waters ... for dunk an and dip pies ...

Take it all in god faith as folly 've yeg odes ... what IAGO ... biologic item ... travelling ide AL-isms ...doomed to failure! Designated for Pooh ... thus it passes ... bio active in greed! More Poohs or pusses ... some say putzes' ... these may blossom ... phun geizers ... they gaze!

Last edited:
The most promising research in growing organs uses the recipients' stem cells. This almost completely eliminates the need for matching and for suppressing the immune system. Bladders and hearts were the primary targets 15 years ago.

Even those with serious medical conditions can be a donor.
Right now only one province has an opt out format....Nova Scotia. Which means you have to sign something to say no.
All the other provinces you will have to sign to agree to it.
Those considering MAID have to agree to donate their organs. Obviously it is their wish to give.

Donation of organs after MAID feels like a slippery slope to me. But maybe this is irrational on my part.

The guidelines for organ donation after MAID say it shouldn't be discussed until the patient has given consent for MAID.

But there are also guidelines which say medical personnel should not be suggesting MAID as an option to anyone.

Do we believe these guidelines are being strictly followed?

The guidelines for organ donation after MAID say it shouldn't be discussed until the patient has given consent for MAID.

But there are also guidelines which say medical personnel should not be suggesting MAID as an option to anyone.

My observation in the medical profession is most have integrity but of course not all.

I know people who feel they were encouraged to choose MAID. The health person talking about it may have felt they were following the guidelines and were only letting the patients know it was available. Still, when someone is facing a terminal diagnosis, they are vulnerable. They will see pressure even if it isn't there. The health professional needs to take than into consideration.

I'm concerned about the link between organ donation and MAID. Is that really a thing?

If choose euthanasia for my pet, the pet needs to be cremated because of the toxic drugs used.

How is that not part of the equation for people?

Not to mention all the other ethical and moral issues involved.

We were allowed to bring our cats home to bury them after euthanasia. Mind you, this was quite some time ago.

Yes, organ donation after MAID is a thing.

According to the article, persons with cancer cannot donate organs or tissue, because of the risk of toxicity from cancer drugs. In Canada, that's 65% of MAID cases; the remainder are eligible in theory and include patients with ALS and Parkinson's. And I don't know for sure, and hardly want to ask her widower, but I suspect that my friend A_____, who chose MAID at very near her life's end with ALS, would have chosen organ donation, and was a thoughtful enough woman to think of it.

The dynamic nature of the patient’s decision-making process can not be ignored.

Sometimes people change their minds about MAiD right up until the end.

Once an initial decision to donate has been made, subsequent discussions and the process of donor testing may unduly influence patients to follow through with MAiD to avoid disappointing expectations raised by their earlier decision to donate.

Intertwining of the choice for MAiD and the decision to donate means that any participation in the subsequent transplant process has the potential both to validate and promote MAiD.
CMAJ. 2019 Sep 23; 191(38): E1062.
doi: 10.1503/cmaj.72983
PMCID: PMC6763331
PMID: 31548196

Organ donation after MAid: it’s not that simple​

Claire Middleton, MBChB

The already inconsistent application of criteria for MAiD in Canada, the more liberal euthanasia guidelines in some other countries, and the discussion about antemortem harvesting happening not only in the public domain but also in a high-impact medical journals, must surely give everyone in the transplant community (including organ recipients) pause for thought.

Important question. Too many stories about care givers not obeying the law.

With the restructuring of our economy, MAID will become better

Fear not, comerades

The Trump of Canada, Trudeau, is on his way oot, as is his love of shareholder capitalism (as promoted by the Schwabites and all the Young Leaders who believe in it all over the world...)

Towards a fairer world

Amen

Ecko nomic efficiency will favor the collaboration ... collaboration sometimes meaning cooperation with the opposition and that will cause as stir in the enemy within ... when common sense goes up against the Wiles? Maybe an emotional coy out EH! These may run off with elusive thoughts, psyches and such deep concerns ... long buried, sacred and forgotten ... no*stick quality! Thus di agnos tix ... Agnos was once said to be mated with God; a spiritual thing!

That's an other storm of blast from the neurosystems once commanded by the fearless Nero ... there all got a bit Smokey as divers thing ... few probed!

Reminds me of SD Connors comments on bureaucracy vs corporations ... much biased when you consider where the Justices invest their mammon ... food for mullin'? Folk against complexity would not go that far due to implicationary incidentals ... messy or just mis Sae?

Last edited:
Important question. Too many stories about care givers not obeying the law.
To obey the law you have to live in a society that encourages it and has the metaphysics to encourage it?

Perhaps this can be tied to such things as the general rise in lack of belief in Truth ("my Truth isn't your Truth"), a movement that has an epistmeology based on Power, the general loss of Judaeo-Christian in the culture, the encouragement over the past few years to hate and distrust millions of people by our governments as well and the near instant transmission of ideas?

It is certainly fun living in this time

Back