Decluttering

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

By the way, has anyone ever noticed the retail displays in January? Often there is a huge section of the store devoted to storage bins.

Does everyone vow to get organized in January?

Declutter before organizing is another good piece of advice.

Have you noticed downsizing is countered by business and economists of mercenary nature ... trying to expand unnaturally with limited mores?

Thus to support those with rising expectations of 10% ... the alternate is vastly reduced ...

They say you have to be out of your absolute mind to see this ... thus the abstract domain! Many determined absolutes that I am familiar with ... say I beyond their grasp. It is challenging they say and thus they deny my challenge ... just to preserve SET wits! There that's fixed and institutionalized ... if only on the page ...

Have you noticed downsizing is countered by business and economists of mercenary nature ... trying to expand unnaturally with limited mores?

You're quite right, Luce. And it's something I need to remind myself of before purchasing anything. If it's not consumable, why am I buying it?

You're quite right, Luce. And it's something I need to remind myself of before purchasing anything. If it's not consumable, why am I buying it?
I'm asking this a lot these days! And a breakthrough - my mate asked for a donationn to be made instead of 'thing' to be purchased for his birthday this week!

I have to say I was horrified to see an ad on TV at the moment in which a mom 'had a chat' with her teen daughter - about how to shop on amazon. Does amazon really have to advertise? What might happen if it spent those ad dollars on paying its employees a living wage? Sorry - tangent rant!

@Carolla

The desire for fewer "things" on birthdays seems to come along with *ahem* age.

The pandemic might be influencing us too. Aren't we becoming more aware that seeing our families on special occasions is the most important thing of all?

@Carolla

The desire for fewer "things" on birthdays seems to come along with *ahem* age.

The pandemic might be influencing us too. Aren't we becoming more aware that seeing our families on special occasions is the most important thing of all?
Although that's when extra 'stuff' becomes handy, having a lot of people over. I never use the buffet warmer when it's just Chemguy and I.
Last Halloween the older nephew was really disappointed that they weren't coming into our house after we went for a walk to check out decorations, and then had cake at the end , in a parking lot. Why? We have 'cool toys'. I think he may be really disappointed if he saw what we have here. Baby books that I bought used and my sister didn't want/a few were doubles of what she had, a tambourine bought when he was a baby which I guess is still fun, I did get a used grossery gang big thing that he loved, but it's missing some of the pieces and my sister ended up buying one for them new. There's some other random things too, metal shot glasses from a Christmas cracker that was actually his cracker gift and he really loved playing with at one point, probably because someone tried to take them from him. I think there's an empty popcorn container in there still too to stick cheerios in and then dump them out.
Some purging is needed there for sure, I plan to hit up a few of the little libraries in the neighbourhood once the quieter streets aren't full of ice and pooled water so I can spread out the baby books. Not sure what new 'cool toys'. I'm going to get though! At least for spring I know I'm set as all of my garden becomes a toy to them.

I think of Mary Trump's More is Not Enough! Thus eth-9 appears as ethix as the numbered Greek Muses ... beyond that 3 others ...

Then there is Harold Bloom's comment that humans are the only animal that cannot be satisfied ... and authorities claim there is no bestiality or chimera as they do not understand their self! Is that classic? Near archaic ... an odd vessel ...

Realize I should have posted here.

Purging most of the toddler toys. Will keep a few for guests, but we have a bunch of items to clear.

Got rid of cribs, etc last year, but kept the play pen. Think will get rid of it now as well.

Will offer it to a young woman through her mom. The daughter is expecting in spring and doesn't have much. If doesn't like, will do on free market place.

I find electronically purging to be quite daunting but it has to be done now and then (because I know it's there). Today it is my pictures, I think there are some worth framing....I just need to find them!

We are packrats that way but we also have all our photos in folders by year and then subfolders by occasion/trip. Still can be daunting because we have been using digital cameras for something like 20 years plus my wife scanned a pile of our old physical ones for backup/archiving. We will clean things up before storing them, removing dupes and blurry ones and that sort of thing, but after that, everything pretty much stays. And there's also a collection of home videos I transferred from our old VHS-C camcorder. Those are mostly from our son's early years so are definite keepers.

Reactions: EvR
Wow this is an old resurrected thread! It's been fun to reread it and consider some of the things I said two years ago. :)

Been chuckling to myself about the copper kettle I said I was finally going to donate because I didn't like it.

Still have it and still don't like it. But it was my grandmother's and I remember her bringing it home from a trip to England in 1964.

But I can report it has a home now. Empty drawer in a filing cabinet in the basement.

Wow this is an old resurrected thread! It's been fun to reread it and consider some of the things I said two years ago. :)

Been chuckling to myself about the copper kettle I said I was finally going to donate because I didn't like it.

Still have it and still don't like it. But it was my grandmother's and I remember her bringing it home from a trip to England in 1964.

But I can report it has a home now. Empty drawer in a filing cabinet in the basement.
Can you use it to store other things in?

Yeah, but I'm stalled. I'm living in a house with very limited furniture, a kitchen that is badly split between two houses, and a boat load of books and odd art. And yesterday, I discovered that the blades to my food processor had disappeared somewhere.

Yeah, but I'm stalled. I'm living in a house with very limited furniture, a kitchen that is badly split between two houses, and a boat load of books and odd art. And yesterday, I discovered that the blades to my food processor had disappeared somewhere.
What do you mean by limited furniture? Is the problem you don't like it or you don't have enough of it?

Books are a sticking point for a lot of people.

Two kitchens is solvable. Just ask anyone who has a home and a cottage. Or a home and an RV. Maybe it's more of a lifestyle/ relationship question. To what extent do you and the Big Fellow plan to combine your households?

I have misplaced my pie weights I can relate to the frustration.
Also six new container bottoms are missing. How do I know? I have the lids

I have misplaced my pie weights I can relate to the frustration.
Also six new container bottoms are missing. How do I know? I have the lids
Usually it's the lids that vanish in my experience. So maybe in some parallel universe, there's a parallel Jayne looking for lids. :alien:

I decluttered some 'family treasures' that my girls wanted more than i did. My childhood collection of glass and china miniatures was grabbed by one kid while the other claimed a marquetry creation of my dad's that incorporates a music box. The items had been stashed away for years and will not be missed.

Any suggestions for disposing of a stamp collection (other than burning it?)

Back