Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
This has bothered me and made me wonder what the point is. Someone asked Dr Henry that at her briefing yesterday. One part of her response was that if you don't get sick (ie catch covid) you have nothing to pass on to others. That helped.
That's not true. There are people who get SARSCoV2 and don't develop COVID. We don't yet know how common that will be with the vaccine. The primary purpose now is to prevent people from getting quite sick both for their protection and to help the healthcare system. It would be extremely unlikely for people to be just as infectious with the virus after getting a vaccine that does prevent illness from developing. It should reduce both the amount of virus that is replicated- so less being put out as well as the length of time. We don't know to what extent though. The downside is if people are still likely to be able to spread it after being vaccinated is they are less likely to realize they are carrying it, so are less likely to change behaviour to avoid spreading it. Hopefully healthcare worker testing is done for a while until we know how effective the vaccine is at preventing people from being able to transmit it

Luce NDs

Intelligence of small things ... as clearly invisible and UN-scene ... like the emperor's cover-up ... very thin fabrication?

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
That's not true. There are people who get SARSCoV2 and don't develop COVID. We don't yet know how common that will be with the vaccine. The primary purpose now is to prevent people from getting quite sick both for their protection and to help the healthcare system

She has acknowledged this.

It would be extremely unlikely for people to be just as infectious with the virus after getting a vaccine that does prevent illness from developing. It should reduce both the amount of virus that is replicated- so less being put out as well as the length of time. We don't know to what extent though.
This is what she said.
The downside is if people are still likely to be able to spread it after being vaccinated is they are less likely to realize they are carrying it, so are less likely to change behaviour to avoid spreading it. Hopefully healthcare worker testing is done for a while until we know how effective the vaccine is at preventing people from being able to transmit it
Of course.

Please remember I am a lay person imperfectly relating what the expert has said. She has also said we are learning more about the vaccine as more is being used and as time progresses.

Waterfall

So what if the vaccine doesnt work? Like the regular flu shot that only has a 30% efficacy for the elderly?

Lastpointe

The flu shot varies year to year. They reformulate it each year based on what virus they expect to be circulating. Some years it is more effective than others. A big issue is that it is not taken by many people, same issue. People figure they won’t get too sick. of course many do.

it sounds to me like this will be similar. Stop you from getting too sick, not stop you from spreading it

the question I have is where we go from here. With the seasonal flu, we get through the fall and winter washing hands and being cautious and life goes back to normal in the spring and summer. But as this has turned out to be , so far, a year round virus I wonder what the next steps will be. I have read they think it may require an annual booster. But if it can still be spread do we continue with masks? Or only around people who haven’t had the shot or who have other issues? Considering how many people have the big three of diabetes, heart disease and obesity that is a lot of people

but I just don’t think anyone totally knows yet, or if they do they aren’t sharing it publicly yet

Luce NDs

The course of the treatment is to self-destruction .. as some leaders indicate that self-destruction is a hoax ... an experience of life????

Thus life goes ... on and on and still we know little!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
So what if the vaccine doesnt work? Like the regular flu shot that only has a 30% efficacy for the elderly?
For the populations studies, there does seem to be good evidence that it was effective for the circulating variants that were present during the studies. Part of the flu vaccine issue is prediction what strains - which differ even more than variants - are going to be circulating.

If it doesn't work well, people who have been vaccinated will still be vulnerable to COVID.

KayTheCurler

Seems to me that no one knows much about Covid or the vaccinations. For me that boils down to keeping away from people as much as possible -for sure unknown people in crowds.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Why does PEI have so many vaccines? I thought they were going to provinces based on population. In Alberta we have less than 2000 people per 100000 vaccinated and they are almost entirely used. PEI has done more than 3000 and they still have a significant amount unused. It's not even like they are greatly affected.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Why does PEI have so many vaccines? I thought they were going to provinces based on population. In Alberta we have less than 2000 people per 100000 vaccinated and they are almost entirely used. PEI has done more than 3000 and they still have a significant amount unused. It's not even like they are greatly affected.
The population in the Atlantic provinces is older than in Western Canada and PEI has technically just one hospital, which could easily be overwhelmed. NB has quite a post Holiday surge in cases right now. NS continues to be lucky, but also has an aging population and a limited amount of ICU beds. Considering the effort of shipping the stuff, maybe there is also a thought of a minimum amount to ship?