Buy Canadian

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Jaebius

Canadian in Korea
Pronouns
He/Him/His
As we all know, Canada and America are currently in a trade war. Since such is the case, in my honest opinion, no Canadian should be buying U.S. goods or shopping at U.S. stores, restaurants, etcetera. Let's talk about shopping Canadian

To start the conversation, here are some Canadian stores to shop at instead of Wal-Mart and Costco...

  • Giant Tiger
  • Canadian Tire
  • London Drugs
  • Real Canadian Superstore
  • Loblaws
  • No Frills
  • Sobeys
  • FreshCo
  • Foodland
  • Save-On-Foods
  • Buy-Low Foods
  • Metro
  • Food Basics
  • Home Hardware
  • Dollarama
 
Hi Jae

I've been deep into this since the tariff's went into place, well, and since the whole 51st state stuff blew up.


It isn't black & white.

Walmart, for example, sells Canadian products, employs Canadians and pays taxes.

There is privilege in being able to pay a premium for small-lot productions in the grocery store aisle, or the shop we go into.

For me, I'm doing my best.

We're trying to support Canadian makers and businesses.

We support our friends who work at Canadian plants or businesses owned by American firms, and hope that they will still have jobs next year.
 
Rita reallllly doesn't like Mark. That's the gist of it.

Canada has awarded $25B in contracts since Mark took over, and $22.4B went to Canadian companies. $1.2B went to American companies. The Canadian companies are, in some cases, subsidiaries of American companies.


When you factor that in, the US figure swells to $7.8B to American-controlled companies.

I would expect Canada doesn't make everything we need. I would prefer buying from other countries before the US. But perhaps this is not possible right away.

Right-wing groups are seizing on these numbers to paint Carney as hypocritical. They aren't saying how they would have spent the money differently.

And if it's a right-wing talking point, Rita will find a way to introduce it here.
 
Walmart, for example, sells Canadian products, employs Canadians and pays taxes.
And a lot of those Canadian stores that Jaebius lists sell a lot of imported American products. It's not the store the determines the origin of the goods, it's the supply chain. And, frankly, there's a lot of goods that are available no other way than importing across the border. Our fruit and vegetable supply would be pretty limited outside of June-September if not for imports and a chunk of those inevitably come from the US. Or, for a commercial example, my company gets a lot of our medical equipment from US sources, either directly or through Canadian distributors. There's just no Canadian companies making this stuff. When we have non-US sources, they are still often not Canadian (I know we are investigating a Chinese source for some piece of equipment).
WhyCzar has a bee in their bonnet about our PM. It comes up in political threads a lot. Not really relevant here, though I imagine there's some article somewhere about Carney buying stuff in the US or from the US.
 
WhyCzar has a bee in their bonnet about our PM. It comes up in political threads a lot. Not really relevant here, though I imagine there's some article somewhere about Carney buying stuff in the US or from the US.
Are his personal investments relevant here?
 
Are his personal investments relevant here?
Forget I asked. I have no inclination to go down that Blind Trust rabbit hole.

Wherever I am in North America I try to shop as local as possible - that's the best I can do.
 
Back
Top