Bucket List Or Not

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

DaisyJane

I probably should be working.
An uncle, of whom I am quite fond, is dying. I visited him yesterday. He is a good man who has lived a good life. I will miss him, but he taught me a great deal during his long lifetime. I am grateful.

On the drive home from the hospital yesterday, as might be expected, my thoughts turned in the direction of living well and using one's time wisely. So along that vein, I thought about a bucket list. Or more appropriately, my bucket list.

For a long time I had a bucket list with one key item listed. I wanted to finish a doctorate degree before I died. However, I am re-thinking that item in recent months (that's another conversation I don't really want to get in to). Beyond that I found that I really didn't have a bucket list. Sure there are things I would like to do someday. I would like to hike the Camino, for example. But somehow I don't feel a sense of urgency about any of these goals that would make them significant enough for my bucket list. On the whole I like my life, and while I hope I have many years left, I don't think I would die unhappy if I don't do anything beyond what I am doing now.

What about you? Do you have a bucket list? What is on it? Why? If not, why not?

I have an ongoing list-I add to it instead of new year resolutions. I had started it long before "bucket lists" became popular.
I'd love to hike the Camino, paddle the Nahani, see icebergs, go to Antartica, make each child a quilt (I'm at 1/3), publish an article.

Last year I went to Missouri Star-and met Jenny Doan-a famous quilter, cruised with my mom, made a niece and my mom a quilt (and a cousin). I have dad's quilt almost done.

I led a church service and my youngest received his high school diploma (a shared goal-let's just say it took a fair bit of effort on my part)

No, it's just not something that fits me. There might be some things I want to do, but those things change with age and there's really nothing on my mind where it's like I want to do this, regardless of my age, before I die.

If you ever want to talk about not finishing a doctorate degree - I'm here.

@DaisyJane , No formal bucket list...though there are a few regions that I would like to get to and a few things that I would like to learn and do.

I find that opportunities arise and I go, yup, that is a bucket list kind of item.
Example: canoeing with Tabitha
Example: going to Asia -- oops, that didn't happen...different journey
Example: ziplining costa rica

I may change my casual approach to more formal upon retirement. I didn't even find that the awareness of my own mortality resulted in my formalizing the list. If anything, it made me less concerned of it. My focus was on time with family.

I used to have all sorts of ideas of what I'd like to do before dying. Many of them I have done. Make a BIG life change (changed countries) - marry - raise four kids -adopt a couple of kids that might otherwise bounce around the foster system - own a home - do lots of camping (visiting mountains, ocean, prairies) - gain some grandkids and take them camping.

Other things are still ongoing - keeping informed - pursuing hobbies and activities - lots of reading (not junk novels) - doing some volunteering - contributing to worth while causes (my choice!) with cash too. I'd really like to take a hot air balloon ride and travel in a helicopter.

Others that were on the list have fallen off for health and/or age and/orcashflow problems at the time. Canoe the Nahanni- climb a mountain - cycle as far as I can get during one summer and lots more . Ain't gonna happen now. I've had a 'good' life with a lot of laughter, a variety of experiences, family and friends (who have all been as imperfect as myself) - been some places, had a great time.

An uncle, of whom I am quite fond, is dying. I visited him yesterday. He is a good man who has lived a good life. I will miss him, but he taught me a great deal during his long lifetime. I am grateful.

On the drive home from the hospital yesterday, as might be expected, my thoughts turned in the direction of living well and using one's time wisely. So along that vein, I thought about a bucket list. Or more appropriately, my bucket list.

For a long time I had a bucket list with one key item listed. I wanted to finish a doctorate degree before I died. However, I am re-thinking that item in recent months (that's another conversation I don't really want to get in to). Beyond that I found that I really didn't have a bucket list. Sure there are things I would like to do someday. I would like to hike the Camino, for example. But somehow I don't feel a sense of urgency about any of these goals that would make them significant enough for my bucket list. On the whole I like my life, and while I hope I have many years left, I don't think I would die unhappy if I don't do anything beyond what I am doing now.

What about you? Do you have a bucket list? What is on it? Why? If not, why not?

I don't have a bucket list. I enjoy living day by day.

I used to have all sorts of ideas of what I'd like to do before dying. Many of them I have done. Make a BIG life change (changed countries) - marry - raise four kids -adopt a couple of kids that might otherwise bounce around the foster system - own a home - do lots of camping (visiting mountains, ocean, prairies) - gain some grandkids and take them camping.

Other things are still ongoing - keeping informed - pursuing hobbies and activities - lots of reading (not junk novels) - doing some volunteering - contributing to worth while causes (my choice!) with cash too. I'd really like to take a hot air balloon ride and travel in a helicopter.

Others that were on the list have fallen off for health and/or age and/orcashflow problems at the time. Canoe the Nahanni- climb a mountain - cycle as far as I can get during one summer and lots more . Ain't gonna happen now. I've had a 'good' life with a lot of laughter, a variety of experiences, family and friends (who have all been as imperfect as myself) - been some places, had a great time.
Kay, that is interesting. I'm curious, what country did you move from?

Bucket LIst ... when the container is on tilde ~~~~~~~~~~~~ something splashes on the other? O' Marie don't you weep or mourn ... it'll come to yah in time ... the Shadow drags ...

I do have a list of "things I'd like to do". However, it's more of a "here's how to spend time when I retire or otherwise have more time on my hands" list than "things I must do before croak" list.

What's the chance you'll have time? Quantum!

Or just wayward wind like "eta" ? Then what has to ask about betenoire!

Ironically just this week I saw pictures and heard a talk by two friends (ages 60 and 64) who walked the Camino last October. I would love to have done it.

My question about bucket lists is whether when making them we should only list those things that are conceivably possible considering the realities of age, physical condition that no amount of training and preparation can reverse, finances (lots of things we would like to do if we win the jackpot).

Lots of things I would have liked to do but probably neveer could - climb Mount Everest for instance, take a trip down the Back River in Nunavut

Lots of things I might have done with a bit more money andd some prepartion ten years ago - visit our son in Korea, hike the Camino trail, cruise the North West Passage, hikee around Scotland looking for ancestoral roots.

Lots of things that might still be possible:
- another visit to Newfoundland (at the height of ice berg season - we only saw one trapped and melting in a bay on our previous trip). Include Labrador
- other trips in Canada - there are a few people on Wondercafe that I haven't met yet in person but feel I would like to, as well as revisit some I've met and see some of the sights we missed or didn't spend enough time on before
- locally, spend some time as a 'tourist' in my home province visiting various areas that I haven't seen (or not in a long time, or only passed through)
- do the same in Nova Scotia and maybe PEI (although I have vacationed there a few times)
- go trout fishing in an NB stream

Seeler ...
Do the Nash Waak ... a dark pilgrimage as part of the game?

In places it does a tattoo ... producing gurgles and moans ...

I don't have one. If I started one it would probably start with fix the roof. My son on the other hand has already done everything cool you could think of.

I've thought about writing a letter to myself about where I see myself in ten years and reading it in ten years....also letters to write to my kids about my feelings/Memories for them that they could read after I die (of course you tell them while your alive too), letters to grandchildren etc....
I don't really have a real bucket list.

When I was packaged off some 15 years ago my list included relaxing in the insanity in life and reading a lot to understand a large part of the stories of the greater other ... as similitude of god!

The other was to write some of non understandable critical thinking to satisfy the greater other's need not to know ... and thus my entering into the field of sacred po' ET'ics ... some say mystical versing ... others say strange tongues. It worked! It didn't cause any evil knowledge ... but a lot of alien questions as people didn't know what to ask ... so it goes ... and the greater paradigm haven't learned much and I have and are thus going to an enlightened place ... Hell, or Greece on fire ?

Thye say this causes some kitchens to suffer blazes ... and Dianna to move on ... as her buns were incinerated...

On my bucket list is to translate and write the stories of my parents and Germany in general for junior anteater, adding interesting items to it in a box. ( I have a piece of the Wall). And similar, make a collection of movies, books that had meaning for me, and possibly could have meaning for him ( kind of wrap them up and title them: i.e. Read this/ watch this if you think about....( "changing your life", " racism", " hope despite a bad situation") .
I also want to see icebergs. But I am afraid of really cold weather.
Learn to play the piano. Right now , no space to put anything the size of a keyboard.

I don't have a list. My hubby will retire this year due to health concens and we will do some new things. Yesterday we were skiing and the lunch table beside us was grandparents and kids. I want to do that. but no kids even close to having grandkids yet so who knows if he will run out of time

I have done what i wanted in my life. I know i am lucky. Right now i am learning a new language and post retirement we plan to go to that country for two months. And then? Plans yet to be made

Back