Another look at Luke: What's unique?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the man in bed behind a locked door is meant to be, not so much a comparison, as a contrast to God. Maybe the idea is something like, 'Look, this cantankerous grumpy guy in a somewhat foul mood eventually did the generous thing. Do you think God, who has your good will at heart, would refuse to do the generous thing?'

paradox3 ----you said ---
I thought this sounded disgruntled: ‘Do not bother me. The door is already shut, and my children and I are in bed. I cannot get up and give you anything.’
The man inside eventually responds and I thought this referred to persistence in prayer. The text notes that the man inside was not motivated by friendship.

my view ----both men represent us ---man outside --persistence in asking --seeking --knocking ------man inside is us not getting what we are praying for right away challenging our persistent asking --seeking --knocking ----

We have to understand that Jesus is explaining to His Disciples how to pray -------the parable is about being persistent in prayer you are right there -----this is about Praying without ceasing ----1 Thessalonians 5:17 -----The man at the door is us praying to God for the bread we don't have on the table to eat --------the man inside who won't give the bread is us being challenged -- we are not getting what we want when we want it ------so we can stay and keep asking --seeking and knocking until the bread appears -----or give up on the praying for the bread and go home hungry ---

----Jesus says this -----8 I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity[e] he will surely get up and give you as much as you need.

Jesus is saying to His Disciples -----Because of his persistence in praying --through asking --seeking --knocking ----he will get what he needs not because of friendship -----but because of his praying without ceasing in boldness persistence ------

Luke 12: 13-21 The Parable of the Rich Fool

A man asks Jesus to tell his brother to divide an inheritance between them. Jesus declines to be the judge or arbitrator. "Watch out," Jesus says, "and guard yourself from all types of greed, because one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." He tells this parable:

A rich man produces an abundant crop and has nowhere to store it. He decides to tear down his barns and build bigger ones. He plans to store all his grain and his goods so he will be able to relax, eat, drink and celebrate. But God says, "You fool! This very night your life will be demanded back from you, but who will get what you have prepared for yourself?"

So it is with the one who stores up riches for himself but is not rich toward God.

For reflection:

One's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. (Luke 12: 15 NET)

Is this a story about the futility of greed?

Is it a story about the material vs spiritual dimensions of life?

What does it mean to be "rich toward God"? If it means loving God and loving neighbor, the parable might be suggesting the rich man was a fool for not sharing his abundance with others.

How do you interpret this parable?

Just one last thought on the man and the bread. Sorry

the man asks for three loaves and the other man is sleeping and doesn’t want to get up

if the man at the door is God, he is asking for help and for the other man to obey. And he is asking for three. A trinity?

Was the man supposed to store his grains to his ability and then give the rest to the poor?

it seems kind of contradictory to the story of Joseph and the pharaoh. In that story Joseph helps the pharaoh store and save grain. Which is then used to save mankind

the reflection verse for today

One's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. (Luke 12: 15 NET)

My view -----

This is about Covetousness ----God's command----thou shall not covet

Jesus is saying that material things cannot support or lengthen a persons Life ------to covet is a sin ---this person is consuming himself in Greed and self ego -----storing up his goods --even to the point of building bigger to house all he had ----so he could be merry in plenty ----so he thinks -----

I say ------what he doesn't get is this

Things of this world will not satisfy the soul of a person -----The Carnal Person just satisfies their human nature of wants and desires with their many possessions thinking all these things will bring them joy --happiness and merriment-- but when this man's life expires here with all his worldly abundance ---He will only be enjoying misery -----God is the only person who can give us a life that is full of joy ==happiness and merriment in this physical realm continue it into the Spiritual realm -----

This man missed the boat by not giving out what he couldn't store in his original barn------we are called to give --not to store up treasures for ourselves ------This man is enjoying his portion here but will suffer for it in the end ------

verses 20-21 say this very clearly -----we can't take what we didn't use with us when we pass on --it will go to someone else anyway ----better to get rich in the Spiritual Possessions of what God can give here and after here ------

20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’
21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

Posting Greek word for rich in this scripture is

HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 4147 ploutéō – be rich, having many resources. See 4145 (plousios).

Luke 12:21; aorist ἐπλούτησα, absolutely, I became rich, i. e. obtained the eternal spiritual possessions:

Luke 12: 47-48 Parable of Severe and Light Beatings

47 That servant who knew his master’s will but did not get ready or do what his master asked will receive a severe beating.

48 But the one who did not know his master’s will and did things worthy of punishment will receive a light beating. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required, and from the one who has been entrusted with much, even more will be asked.

For reflection

From the one who has been entrusted with much, even more will be asked. (Luke 12: 48 NET)

It is a little disconcerting to think of Jesus discussing how servants will be beaten. But I imagine it would not have shocked anyone in the time Jesus lived.

Much is expected from those whom God calls. Or so it seems to me.
Anyone have a different interpretation of these two verses?

Luke 13: 1 -9 Parable of the Barren Fig Tree

Jesus calls the people to repent and tells a parable about a fig tree planted in a vineyard.

The landowner comes looking for fruit on the tree and finds none. There has been no fruit on it for three years, so he tells the workers in the vineyard to chop it down.

A worker persuades him to leave the tree alone for a year. Next year, he will dig around it and fertilize it. If the tree still doesn't bear fruit, it will be cut down.

For reflection

If it bears fruit next year, very well. (Luke 13: 9 NET)

With the introduction provided by Jesus, it seems clear that this fig tree story is about repentance. The figs are viewed by some as "fruits of the spirit" and are thus defined more broadly.

We are given the opportunity to produce "fruit" the parable seems to be suggesting. But in a certain period of time, we will face judgment for our lack of production.

This parable bears remarkable similarity to the story of Jesus cursing the fig tree in Matthew and Mark. However, both commentaries I am using consider Luke's parable to be a unique passage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back