Another look at Luke: What's unique?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
important but odd little points in the story
Definitely! The bandages, the oil, the wine, the innkeeper, the donkey and even the two coins are intriguing details. All appear in other gospel stories.

For an additional tie-in to Jesus, we can look to Matthew's gospel and the "inasmuch" sayings. Inasmuch as you have done it unto these the least of my brethren you have done it unto me.

With this parable, Luke gives us a story about ministry to a man beaten by robbers, stripped of his clothes and left half dead.

Luke 10: 38-42 Jesus and Martha

38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him as a guest.

39 She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he said.

40 But Martha was distracted with all the preparations she had to make, so she came up to him and said, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do all the work alone? Tell her to help me.”

41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things,

42 but one thing is needed. Mary has chosen the best part; it will not be taken away from her.”

For reflection:

Mary has chosen the best part; it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10: 42 NET)

In Luke's gospel, the story of Mary and Martha comes immediately after the Parable of the Good Samaritan. The text is so short I have printed it above rather than attempting to do a summary. I have always liked this rather puzzling story.

It is often viewed as a lesson that spiritual things are more important than material things, but I wonder about this interpretation. It does seem that Mary's contribution is more valued than Martha's. Mary has chosen the best part; it will not be taken away from her.”

"Just who did this man think was going to make dinner?" I heard in a sermon years ago.

Do we know he was there for dinner? The text doesn't specify the purpose of Jesus' visit. What if he was just popping in to visit his friends? Mary sat at his feet, much like a disciple would, and listened. What if Jesus' need was to have his friends listen and support him? And Martha was overdoing things? The lesson says she was distracted. In her haste to offer hospitality, did she miss what Jesus really needed from her and her sister?

Over the years, I have heard many conversations about how we need both Marthas (doers) and Marys (contemplatives) in our congregations. Back in the day, I even knew of a UCW unit which called itself "The Marthas". And sometimes we try to say people are one way or the other in personality.

The minister who asked in her sermon "Just who did this man think was going to make dinner?" commented that we all have a Mary and a Martha inside of us.

Both common interpretations of the story, I would say.

I wonder of the operative word here is 'distracted'. Martha did important things, to be sure. It isn't like they could have ordered a pizza. But Martha's busy-ness seemed to take over everything else for her, sort of forgetting the guests who were there. She seemed distracted from what was important by what was 'urgent'.

Todays reflective scripture -----

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

We see Jesus saying this -----42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.

I say
So what is Jesus saying here in this statement -----what is it that won't be taken away from Mary ?----and is distant from Martha --

paradox3 ----you said ---- Perhaps her devotion to Jesus? Her steadfastness?

my view
I agree with this statement for sure ---Martha was definitely missing devotion to her Messiah -----I am sure she Loved God but was allowing worldly ways to get in her way ---she was first worrying about the meal and let resentment creep in when she wasn't getting the help wich she thought she should get ----- her steadfastness was focused on wrong things as this life she lives is only temporal-----

Mary absolutely got it when it came to knowing what is more important in her Life -----Love God and serve God first ---Jesus is not saying not to do house work ---What He is saying --in my view here --- is there is a time to set aside the service of others ---in order to serve God by listening to His word and spending time with Him as Mary was doing ---and as we should today ------Spending time with God should always come first -----chores and serving others second ------

Mary chose the better way ----as no one can take away her Salvation ------Martha choice was bad for her soul and her service would die with her ----God was only on her lips and far away from her heart ------May had God on her lips and in her heart as well -----

We are coming up next to 4 more parables. I will address them over the long weekend and then I plan to take a break for the summer. In keeping with WC2 practice for study threads, the mods will close the thread at that point. In the fall, it will be unlocked so we can carry on.

We are approximately halfway through Luke's unique material and I have enjoyed exploring it with you.

I think a thread to look at Matthew's unique material might be a good idea, too. To say nothing of John's gospel . . . :)

Stay tuned for the next 4 parables.

Luke 11: 5-8 The Parable of the Friend at Midnight

5 Then he said to them, “Suppose one of you has a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread,

6 because a friend of mine has stopped here while on a journey, and I have nothing to set before him.’

7 Then he will reply from inside, ‘Do not bother me. The door is already shut, and my children and I are in bed. I cannot get up and give you anything.’

8 I tell you, even though the man inside will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of the first man’s sheer persistence he will get up and give him whatever he needs.

For reflection

Because of the first man’s sheer persistence he will get up and give him whatever he needs. (Luke 11:8 NET)

This parable follows Jesus' instructions to the disciples about prayer. It speaks to the need for persistence in prayer. The man inside is not moved by their friendship but by the persistence of the man at the door.

It is interesting that the man at the door is seeking three loaves of bread for the sake of the traveler. Is this parable a call to pray for others? Is there any significance to the three loaves of bread?

Because he asks for a loan, it seems that the man at the door intends to repay the man inside. Could this be another story about responding to God's mercy?

Early-morning reflections:
Reading this familiar story this morning, I noticed for the first time the specific number of loaves (three). What is the significance of three loaves? - I thought the friend just asked for some bread.

Chosen for reflection refers to 'persistence'. Another parable that Jesus told referred to a woman who persisted in receiving justice from an unjust judge which she wore him down 'with her much-coming'. In both of these stories. It seems like the one in power represents God. And it seems to me that it shows him in a bad light to someone who has to be pestered to do the right thing. This is not the image of a loving God that I carry in my heart.

Another parable that Jesus told referred to a woman who persisted in receiving justice from an unjust judge which she wore him down 'with her much-coming'.
Interesting that this parable is also unique to Luke's gospel. (Luke 18: 1-8)

This reflection verse for today has to do with Prayer

For reflection

Because of the first man’s sheer persistence he will get up and give him whatever he needs. (Luke 11:8 NET)

My view on this -----
This is about how God's Chosen ---who here are the Disciples here --- are to approach God in Prayer -----this is so important for the Disciples to get and understand -----We have this concept that it doesn't matter how we approach God in our quest to pray ---whether it be for ourselves or others ------this Parable is telling us how we are to come to God in Prayer ------what is the point of Praying if God doesn't answer especially if we are Praying for someone who needs to be prayed for -----or is in need of having a staple in their home ----

This friend who came had no bread -----so the person wants to answer his friends request but he didn't have any bread either so he goes to his friend who can give him some bread -----it is midnight ----this is bad time as it is a time when most are sleeping and not expecting someone to knock on their door ----- the man makes excuses as to why he can't come to the door -----the man doesn't cave in and quit his - Asking -----it is persistence boldness ------it is through this that the man will get the bread that his friend need and he ask for 3 loves ---one for his friend --one for himself and 1 extra incase of a need --We are to Pray God's will not our will ------Food is needed to live ---so the man was doing God's will for his friend

This is the Greek word here for persistence this in luke 11 --Strong's concordance

HELPS Word-studies
anaídeia ("no shame, without embarrassment") is the shamelessness a faith-led believer has who is not be halted by human fears – even when others cry "overdone" (i.e. accuse them of being extreme or excessive).

Lk 11:8: "I tell you, if even he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his shamelessness (335 /anaídeia) he will get up and give him as much as he needs."

335 anaídeia (from 1 /A "without" and 127 /aidṓs, "shame") – properly, "shameless persistence" (Souter). 335 (anaídeia), used only in Lk 11:8, is literally "shamelessness" and relates to carrying out God's plan with "unembarassed boldness" – in the dignity of faith.

I say ----Jesus says this in verses 9-10

9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

The word Will here below --- is God's promise ----God never breaks His promises ------and if you take the First letter of each word here --ask -seek --Knock --- it will spell ----ASK -----So Ask is really there twice ----- keep asking God answers on His time not our time

Ask and it will be given to you;
seek and you will find;
knock
and the door will be opened to you.

I say -----The Disciples here are learning that -answered Pray takes --patience ---persistence --boldness ---humbleness and Faith in God to answer -----

The Book of James says this ----Prayers of The Righteous: The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16.

My question is ---if the Disciples have doubts about who Jesus is should they expect God to answer their prayers when they are in need ? ----

Agreeing with the emphasis on persistence in prayer @unsafe.

But I have been taking this in a different direction in my thoughts. Casting God as the disgruntled friend who has to be persuaded to open the door at midnight seems absurd to me. So absurd it had me wondering if this might be intentional. Could it be that Jesus sought to make his point in a humorous way?

Earlier today I googled "humor in the bible" to see what I could find. Authors are writing papers & books about this very subject. (Who knew?)

If Jesus was fully human, one writer asks, would he not have had a sense of humor? Jesus doesn't employ slapstick humor but he seems to use satire or farce from time to time. Puns, which don't translate well into English, are also possible.

Gospel stories which have struck me as funny include the demon-possessed pigs running down the hill into the sea; the fish with the coin in its mouth to pay the taxes; and the certain young man who lost his bed linens.

Something to think about and maybe chuckle over.

Or maybe God is telling us to be persistent because the way he is everywhere is when we behave like disciples and as we are taught.....God uses us to be everywhere....even Jesus.

Could it not be that God is the person at the door. He is reaching out to the man inside. Imploring him to join him, to be available. To help others

I am sure Jesus did have a sense of humor --he was fully Human ---- and maybe this is meant to be funny as you suggest -----

paradox3 ---you said -----Casting God as the disgruntled friend who has to be persuaded to open the door at midnight seems absurd to me.

Why would anyone cast God as the disgruntled friend -------it has nothing to do with the man who refused to open the door ---That is not what Jesus is focused on in my opinion ----Jesus is getting this Disciples to focus on the asking ---seeking and knocking ------continue asking ---seeking and knocking ------and don't get discouraged -----that is the message in my view

Don't read to much into it --it really explains itself ------my view here

@unsafe I thought this sounded disgruntled: ‘Do not bother me. The door is already shut, and my children and I are in bed. I cannot get up and give you anything.’

The man inside eventually responds and I thought this referred to persistence in prayer. The text notes that the man inside was not motivated by friendship.

Here, Lastpointe gives us a way to flip the parable which also makes sense.
Could it not be that God is the person at the door. He is reaching out to the man inside. Imploring him to join him, to be available. To help others
But I think it is more likely a lesson about prayer, given its placement between the Lord's Prayer and "Ask and you shall receive . . . "

Jesus is getting this Disciples to focus on the asking ---seeking and knocking ------continue asking ---seeking and knocking ------and don't get discouraged -----that is the message in my view
Yes, I think so. The text doesn't explicitly say, "Don't get discouraged" but this might be part of the message. Makes a lot of sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back