Another look at Luke: What's unique?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Jesus learning something from the Syro-Phoenician woman when we discussed her on the Mark thread. I don't see him learning anything from the sinful woman in Luke 7.

I've heard it say that being humbled can work both ways(equally).....was it Peter that didn't want Jesus to wash his feet?

Back to today's text.

Any more thoughts about the women who accompanied Jesus and provided for Him & the disciples?

I find it interesting that only 3 of the women are named. Luke tells us there were others but he doesn't say how many.

It is also interesting that Joanna is described as the wife of Herod's household manager. And unusual for a married woman to be traveling with Jesus and the disciples, I would think. Did she have "resources" of her own to offer?

paradox3 hope you don't mind if I address this comment from Waterfall ----this is important to understand in my view

Waterfall you said ------ but my understanding of Jesus is that he wants to lift us up to a higher understanding and an equality..

Jesus higher understanding he wants us to get and to be equal is to Him is to climb down the ladder to a lower position and washing feet for another is as low as one can get -----Jesus was King and lowered Himself to our human standard -----Jesus washing the Disciples feet is a sign of humility and it is also a sign of purification ----which is needed to come to God -------so to be a Disciple of God they needed Jesus to wash their feet ----Peter loved Jesus and held Him in high esteem and for Him to wash Peter's feet for Peter was a very uncomfortable situation -----Jesus shocks Peter with this statement ------

This is from Got Questions -----

Then Jesus said something that must have further shocked Peter: Unless I wash you, you have no part with me” (John 13:8), prompting Peter, whose love for the Savior was genuine, to request a complete washing. Then Jesus explained the true meaning of being washed by Him. Peter had experienced the cleansing of salvation and did not need to be washed again in the spiritual sense. Salvation is a one-time act of justification by faith, but the lifelong process of sanctification is one of washing from the stain of sin we experience as we walk through the world. Peter and the disciples—all except Judas, who never belonged to Christ—needed only this temporal cleansing.

Sorry paradox3 for any disruption -----

will now get back to today's scripture ------

My view on this
The women named in the scripture today below -----we learn that they funded Jesus Ministry ---they were well respected by Jesus ---so these women had the physical means to support the looking after the the 12 plus Jesus plus themselves ---so they were not destitute women ------

2 and also some women who had been healed of sicknesses and ·evil [defiling; L unclean; 4:33] spirits: Mary, called Magdalene [C probably because she was from the town of Magdala], from whom seven demons had gone out; 3 Joanna, the wife of ·Cuza [or Chuza] (the ·manager [T steward] of Herod’s [C Herod Antipas; see 3:1] house); Susanna; and many others. These women used their own ·money [resources] to ·help [support] ·Jesus and his apostles [L them].

I say ----This shows us that Women were valued and accepted by Jesus and the Disciples and that these women were strong in their own right to be travelling and supporting what was needed to sustain the success of the Ministry ------

I say ----This shows us that Women were valued and accepted by Jesus and the Disciples and that these women were strong in their own right to be travelling and supporting what was needed to sustain the success of the Ministry ------
Agreed. I also think it is significant that the women are described as having been healed of evil spirits and disabilities. It seems that they must be supporting Jesus' ministry in gratitude for the healing they experienced from Jesus and/ or the disciples. This reminds me of the sinful woman in Luke 7 who responds in love to Jesus after she is forgiven. In both texts the response involves action, not just words.

Luke 9: 51-56 Rejection in Samaria

Jesus heads towards Jerusalem and sends messengers on ahead. The messengers enter a Samaritan village to get things ready for him. The people refuse to welcome Jesus because he is determined to go to Jerusalem.

When James and John see this, they ask if they should call fire down from heaven to consume the villagers.

Jesus rebukes them and they continue on their way.

For reflection:

And they went on to another village. (Luke 9:56 NET)

My study bible suggests that Samaritans were particularly hostile to Jews traveling to Jerusalem for religious festivals. Consequently, the trip from Galilee to Jerusalem often took place on the east side of the Jordon River.

It is interesting to see Jesus brush off rejection and rebuke the disciples who wish to punish the Samaritans. He simply moves on.

Kind of makes the two disciples seem like hotheads, doesn't it?

And they went on to another village. Taking this verse metaphorically, there are many times in life when moving on is the best solution. There is much wisdom in this statement, although it is not always an easy thing to do.

Luke 10: 17-20 The Return of the Seventy

Earlier in Luke, seventy were sent out by Jesus in pairs to preach and heal the sick. They were given similar instructions to the twelve (Luke 9).

Now they return with joy and report that demons submitted to them in Jesus' name. Jesus reminds them that he gave them authority against the full force of the enemy and nothing can hurt them. But they should not rejoice that demons submit to them. Rather, they should be glad that their names are written in heaven.

For reflection:

Rejoice that your names stand written in heaven. (Luke 10: 20 NET)

Did the seventy return from their mission a little prideful about what they were able to accomplish? Jesus sees fit to remind them that He is the source of their power.

The text seems to suggest we can rejoice about being called to do His work and having a place in God's kingdom.

Luke 10: 29-37 Parable of the Good Samaritan

This parable is so well-known, it doesn't seem to need summarizing. Anyone up for discussing it?

It is worth noting that it only appears in Luke's gospel.

Really enjoying your study of Luke. Just catching up on it

once again a great story in Luke. I am struck by a couple of things, because of just reading the preceding 8 pages here

once again, wrapping bandages , once again the appearance of oil. A ride on a donkey, another Inn,

is the beaten man a stand in for Jesus beaten by the soldiers. Why do we not get any identity for the beaten man

Likely because the beaten man isn't the focus of the story, the Samaritan is.
Samaritans were looked down on, ad in turn looked down on the Israelites. To have a Samaritan show mercy to a wounded Jewish traveler (especially after the two proverbial Good Guys, a priest and a Levite go by, ignoring him completely) would have been a stunning, shocking thought to most of Jesus' original hearers. It would be as if today someone would tell a similar story about a Good Bike Gang Member.

The Good Samaritan parable doesn't immediately follow the rejection in Samaria story, but it appears soon afterward. Was Luke setting the stage for the parable? The earlier story reminds us of the tensions between Jews and Samaritans.

In Luke 9 ---for me this piece of Scripture stands out ------

5 If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.”

I say for me -----This one sentence verse has much to say to us today -------it is an important Spiritual statement ----

The reflection verse for today actually is tied in with verse 5 above ------this is the verse before the reflection verse says --
55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them. 56 continues ----below ----

For reflection:

And they went on to another village. (Luke 9:56 NET)

So what does this say for followers of Jesus today ------is the question ?

Luke 10 ---Reflection verse -----
For reflection:

Rejoice that your names stand written in heaven. (Luke 10: 20 NET)

This reflection verse is speaking of the Lamb's Book of Life ------this book has written in it all the names of true Christians and this is their guarantee of getting into Heaven ----- this is carried on today ----all who receive Jesus in their hearts as Lord and Saviour have their names written in this book -------God keeps records on all His creation and that is seen in Revelations 20:12

So what does this say for followers of Jesus today ------is the question ?
Yes, a very important question for us to ask ourselves. In some cases, the answers may be too personal to share in a discussion forum. In other cases, we may have talked about these matters already and have no need to revisit them now.

Agreeing that "shaking the dust off our feet" and "moving on to another village" are closely related concepts.

Lastpointe said -------is the beaten man a stand in for Jesus beaten by the soldiers. Why do we not get any identity for the beaten man

This I say ---is showing that you are really thinking about scripture and this is such a very positive and encouraging sign so I really commend your thinking here -----so great to see -----thank you for posting your thoughts on this ------

I say
Foe me to your first question the answer is no ----Jesus is making a point here to an expert in the law who asks ---Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

My View
I say -----we see this person knows the laws of God well ---so he should know that he needs to Love God first then from his Love for God ---comes loving his neighbour which will prompt him to help his neighbour ----so the beaten man represents the neighbour who is a sinner --- downtrodden---poor ---has needs that have to be met --etc ------

To your second question -----Why do we not get any identity for the beaten man

I say --My View is---- because the identity is any hurting neighbour ----so no name is necessary in this Parable ------

This Parable is given to a schooled person who was an Expert in knowing the Law and this shows he was Spiritually blind to the first and second command ---Love God first ---love your neighbour second -----just my take on this

This I say ---is showing that you are really thinking about scripture and this is such a very positive and encouraging sign so I really commend your thinking here -----so great to see -----thank you for posting your thoughts on this ------
This statement could apply to all of us posting on this thread. :angel:

It is a great adventure to engage with scripture, isn't it? I know I need to do more than just listen to the weekly readings in church. There are many different ways to delve into the bible. I am always surprised that more people don't take advantage of the opportunity when bible studies are offered in real life.

A minister once told me people avoid bible study because they don't think they know the scriptures well enough.

Not sure why we don't have higher participation here. Sometimes I wonder if we are making it too easy or too difficult for some of our members. For me, personally, the level of discussion is just right. That's the beauty of being the thread host. :)

Last edited:
is the beaten man a stand in for Jesus beaten by the soldiers.
I'm with @unsafe on this one and I say probably not. However, Luke is a very clever storyteller and parables can work on different levels. Luke makes use of foreshadowing on other occasions so who can know for sure?

The beaten man is wrapped in bandages. Like the infant Jesus. Like the lambs someone mentioned up thread. Like the body of Jesus I also think the donkey is of interest in the story. And I am interested in the line to the innkeeper. I will pay you what is owing when I return. Interesting what he was doing on the road with his donkey. a traveling salesman? But a donkey I would think is primarily usd to carry things. It isn’t really an animal large enough for a man to ride. So what was the donkey carrying and how did it have space for a man

nit important but odd little points in the story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back