AB licence plate ban

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I should check it out, but does anyone know what exactly the beer thing is about? I know I heard a bit about small breweries a while ago, I didn't hear any complaints about it then, and not really sure about how it hurts Sask other than maybe opening up more competition.

it's back. That thing is happening again.

I saw that, but then it disappeared. Then i think I left the thread and came back and it was there. Has happened on other threads.

I didn't realize it was fairly cheap in BC too. Do they charge more there based on risk factors such as age, gender etc?
British Columbia, Quebec, Manitoba and Saskatchewan all have a government monopoly on insurance and this makes it less expensive apparently.

It's Sask (or Wall - however you want to look at it) creating the problem. Even people from that province have said that it's a clear violation of the trade agreements so isn't going to stick.
If it's about the trade agreements, it may actually be about the companies profiting most (or not) from them.

British Columbia, Quebec, Manitoba and Saskatchewan all have a government monopoly on insurance and this makes it less expensive apparently.

Whereas Ontario has a government regulated private system with (supposedly) competition and we have some of the highest premiums in Canada. Toronto's overstuffed, crash-prone roads account for some of that but I'm sure there's a lot more going on than that.

Which is not necessarily bad. Not all regulations are bad.
Considering how much money one pays on insurance during a lifetime, it sounds better than Ontario for payments, but I don't think the basic coverage is as high.

Considering how much money one pays on insurance during a lifetime, it sounds better than Ontario for payments, but I don't think the basic coverage is as high.
I don't own a car, so I never had to pay any. I do think that privatization of everything has driven up prices generally. Somehow, the big guys have managed to hog the markets and are not accountable to the public for overcharging us for, in some cases, poor service, and stomping on small business. They are just doing what greedy governments have always been accused of.

And global trade has made us subject to other countries regulations and tariffs - or none, if companies have a roving headquarters. so, they do what they want, like exploit workers. But, I support global trade anyway, for now, because generally we fight fewer wars with trading partners. However, it's not a "just peace". It's just something holding things together until a new generation creates a just peace - an idea everyone agrees on - I hope, one day.

Last edited:
I don't own a car, so I never had to pay any. I do think that privatization of everything has driven up prices generally. Somehow, the big guys have managed to hog the markets and are not accountable to the public for overcharging us for, in some cases, poor service, and stomping on small business. They are just doing what greedy governments have always been accused of.

And global trade has made us subject to other countries regulations and tariffs - or none, if companies have a roving headquarters. so, they do what they want, like exploit workers. But, I support global trade anyway, for now, because generally we fight fewer wars with trading partners. However, it's not a "just peace". It's just something holding things together until a new generation creates a just peace - an idea everyone agrees on - I hope, one day.
Depends, Sask liquor prices are high compared to ours. Calgary has been a good spot to buy for a long time, many Americans would come even though generally prices are cheaper in the US, when it came to the expensive stuff it was easier to obtain and was also cheaper when shelling out for the pricey stuff.

I do think our car insurance is higher than it needs to be.

@ChemGal...I only buy about 2 bottles of wine, and a couple of "Tall boys" of beer/ per year. My brother works for a microbrewery - technically, I probably could get more, for a deal, if I wanted. I haven't asked but there's one dark ale he makes that I like. I buy about a pint a month at a restaurant. I went looking for a tiny bottle of rum, single ounce size, to put a "taste" in a few glasses of eggnog...but the only one they had was $5.99. The private stores generally have higher prices, too. And this was a BC Liquor store.

@ChemGal I went looking for a tiny bottle of rum, single ounce size, to put a "taste" in a few glasses of eggnog...but the only one they had was $5.99.
We have been using the same mickey of rum for our eggnog for the last 3 - 4 years. We usually just buy one litre of eggnog for the season & we use a dash of rum, as you say.

We have been using the same mickey of rum for our eggnog for the last 3 - 4 years. We usually just buy one litre of eggnog for the season & we use a dash of rum, as you say.
I don't think I've ever had one around quite that long...not when I was married, living w/ my husband, I didn't. ...which isn't a good observation, but true. Neither of us should drink more than one or two drinks for different medical reasons - I got into the habit of rarely buying booze for the house. My husband liked whiskey and vodka. If it was there, he'd have a few everyday until it was gone. So, i didn't keep it in the house. We very occasionally had a single beer or shared wine if friends were over...but more than that wasn't recommended.

At my dad's house...them having a scotch everyday is common. I know it is normal in a lot of households. for me, only occasionally.

Last edited:
@ChemGal...I only buy about 2 bottles of wine, and a couple of "Tall boys" of beer/ per year. My brother works for a microbrewery - technically, I probably could get more, for a deal, if I wanted. I haven't asked but there's one dark ale he makes that I like. I buy about a pint a month at a restaurant. I went looking for a tiny bottle of rum, single ounce size, to put a "taste" in a few glasses of eggnog...but the only one they had was $5.99. The private stores generally have higher prices, too. And this was a BC Liquor store.
I can't compare to BC, haven't been there buying liquor before. I do know it is much higher in Sask though, that was recent enough I remember being surprised by the rices.
Knowing where to go does help. I find the prices on wine at Liquor Depot (non-sale) can be about twice as high as decent sale prices at some stores. Superstore is fairly consistent in price, not the lowest when comparing to places with sales, but consistently low. Beer selection not so great though.

Back