AB licence plate ban

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Maybe commercial vehicles should be subject to the same rules, and licenses and fees, across Canada, if they are companies with more than x number of employees.
I see Saskatchewan's car insurance company is a monopoly owned by the Government and this year they are possibly thinking of selling some of it to private insurance companies.

Do you think that's a good idea? ...also, do you think it has something to do with this?
Don't really know, just wondering if it's just a way to increase revenue? Just guessing.....because isn't it usually about money?

It's a conspiracy theory.;)

you didn't answer my question @Northwind. It's a valid question.

I suppose because I don't think there is anything wrong with the way things are. If a vehicle is licenced in one province, then it is able to be driven and used in another. Making special plates or whatever is just adding extra layers of bureaucracy and serves no useful purpose.

Do both provinces have the same standards for vehicle safety inspections and insurance coverage?
Insurance is much more expensive in Alberta. In Saskatchewan it's tied to your driver's licence. I remember when I was in undergrad people waited as long as possible to switch over if they were from there because it was something like $20/yr. Obviously not that cheap now, but still way cheaper than here. Not sure about standards for vehicle safety.

It doesn't seem to be about those issues though, as 1) they were never brought up 2) MB would also be different and this doesn't apply to them.

Maybe commercial vehicles should be subject to the same rules, and licenses and fees, across Canada, if they are companies with more than x number of employees.
That is something that seems logical.
The requirement for 2 licences just because switching over to a different fleet vehicle isn't practical for certain jobsdoes not.

Alberta says it will take action on two fronts Thursday in its escalating fight with Saskatchewan over the ban on Alberta licence plates on Saskatchewan job sites.

Deron Bilous, Alberta’s economic development minister, said unless Saskatchewan relents he will launch a formal application under the New West Partnership.

He said Saskatchewan’s licence plate ban is a clear violation of the agreement that calls for a barrier-free interprovincial market between the four western provinces.

“They have until midnight tonight to smarten up, come to their senses and walk this back or we will be filing a trade injunction,” Bilous said Wednesday.

Bilous has previously suggested there would be other retaliatory measures and said details on those would be addressed Thursday.

Last week, Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall’s government announced it would ban vehicles with Alberta licence plates on any future Saskatchewan government road and building construction sites.

It has given multiple reasons for the ban.

Last week, Saskatchewan Infrastructure David Marit said the reason was because Alberta had similar rules for Saskatchewan workers. Bilous said those rules don’t exist.

Marit also said it was because Alberta doesn’t have a provincial sales tax, and that making Alberta workers buy Saskatchewan plates puts workers in both provinces on a level playing field.

Wall himself suggested it was payback after Alberta changed rules on craft beer taxes to help its own industry and lobbied against open borders on procurement.

Bilous said he spoke on Tuesday with Marit and Saskatchewan Trade Minister Steven Bonk but they could not provide a credible rationale for the ban.

“They were all over the map as far as the reasons behind doing this, citing Alberta not having a PST,” said Bilous.

“They listed a couple of other examples, but weren’t able to provide any concrete examples of Alberta contractors or Alberta tenders forcing Saskatchewan contractors to change their plates.”

Bonk said they have anecdotal evidence.

“We’re hearing loud and clear from the Saskatchewan Heavy Construction Association as well as some of our contractors that this is a real issue for them,” said Bonk.

“This is a measure to protect Saskatchewan companies. We just want to level the playing field.”

Bonk said he was a bit taken aback that Alberta was moving ahead with the formal protest under the New West Partnership after the talk with Bilous.

“I thought we had quite a productive conversation,” said Bonk.

“We’re a little bit surprised by that because when we left the call yesterday we were under the impression that we agreed to meet in the new year, in January, to discuss this further.”

Bilous also accused Saskatchewan of applying the licence plate ban to not only new contracts as promised, but also to existing ones.

Bonk said that is not the case.

Service Alberta, the department that handles licences, says a non-resident needs to register a vehicle if it is in Alberta for six months or more. However, commercial vehicles and trucks are not included in the requirement.

X

I wouldn't be surprised (although I do not know for a fact - just a thought), if it is big companies like Telus creating this problem, and places like Lloyd are a flashpoint for attention to it because they share provincial borders.

Insurance is much more expensive in Alberta

That's what I noticed when I moved from BC. I thought that privatizing and introducing competition was supposed make prices lower. I understand the higher house insurance rates given the fires and floods in AB. I am not convinced there is a good reason for higher vehicle insurance.

I wouldn't be surprised (although I do not know for a fact - just a thought), if it is big companies like Telus creating this problem, and places like Lloyd are a flashpoint for attention to it because they share provincial borders.

From my understanding it is oil and gas related or construction.

It's Sask (or Wall - however you want to look at it) creating the problem. Even people from that province have said that it's a clear violation of the trade agreements so isn't going to stick.

That's what I noticed when I moved from BC. I thought that privatizing and introducing competition was supposed make prices lower. I understand the higher house insurance rates given the fires and floods in AB. I am not convinced there is a good reason for higher vehicle insurance.
I didn't realize it was fairly cheap in BC too. Do they charge more there based on risk factors such as age, gender etc?

Back