WE. What in earth is going on?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I really think that a smart NDP (not likely Green) could have seriously turned this into more of a three way race than they have. BQ sort of screws this up. I'm interested in how the fall session will roll out.

Glad to hear of the end of WE.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
I watched CTVNews interview the “boys”

they really are smarmy. None of this is their fault. Covid. The bad press. But it was pointed out to them several times that WE has issues. Governance. Transparency.....

they talked about how the Canadian youth were the losers to miss out on all WE days gave them

i just don’t think they get it

then a person from a charity watch dog group, I didn’t get the name Referenced that by Canadian charity laws they can’t just close down and move things to the UK. The money donated is Canadian money. Interesting thought

they seem to have set up schools in africa. And are proud of them. But honestly now they seem to be about pep rallies and feel good tourism

Graeme Decarie

Reaction score
This is nothing compared to the dreadful corruption of both parties. Liberals, Conservatives, Democrats, Republicans have ALWAYS been corrupt. Alas, its the way we operate. the NDP is honest. That's why it loses.
In practical terms, neither Canada nor the U.S. is or ever has been a democracy.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
This is nothing compared to the dreadful corruption of both parties. Liberals, Conservatives, Democrats, Republicans have ALWAYS been corrupt. Alas, its the way we operate. the NDP is honest. That's why it loses.
In practical terms, neither Canada nor the U.S. is or ever has been a democracy.

Politics is powerful and someone suggested that power corrupts ... thus the stinking business of politic*oh! ...

Lastpointe

Reaction score
WE Charity controversy prompts examination of group’s overseas footprint

• The Globe and Mail (Ontario Edition)
  • September 28, 2020
  • JACOB SEREBRIN
The controversy around WE Charity in Canada is opening the door to a public discussion about whether WE – and groups like it – actually help the African communities where they operate.
Firoze Manji, the former Africa program director for Amnesty International, said one of the big problems with groups such as WE is that they aren’t accountable to the people they claim to serve.
“They are accountable to selfappointed boards,” said Mr. Manji, who is originally from Kenya and is now a professor at Carleton University’s Institute of African Studies. “The mythology is that they are going to fight poverty. The problem with that proposition, although it sounds very good, is that they don’t deal with the causes of impoverishment.”
On Sept. 9, WE Charity said it would wind down its Canadian operations, but its for-profit affiliate, ME to WE, will remain active, as will WE Charity in the United States and the United Kingdom.
The charity’s programs in countries such as Kenya, Tanzania and Ecuador will continue “as long as possible” the organization said. The extent and impact of those overseas programs is not easy to discern. It is clear from financial statements released by the organization and tax filings that WE’s soon-to-be-closed Canadian programs are by far the charity’s largest. In 2019, WE Charity Canada had total revenue of $65.9-million and expenses of just under $68.2-million.
In some years, its U.S. arm has sent more money to Canada than it sent to any country in Asia, Africa or Latin America or spent on domestic programming. In the 2019 financial year, U.S. tax filings show WE Charity U.S. spent US$7.6-million on domestic programs and US$18.8-million on “grants and other assistance to foreign organizations” – of which US$10.8-million went to WE Charity Canada. In 2018, WE Charity U.S. spent US$5.8-million on domestic programming with another US$6-million going to Canada. That year US$8.5-million went to Asia, Africa and Latin America.
WE Charity said the money was sent to the Canadian office to reimburse it for work done on programs that were delivered in the United States. Staff in the organization’s Global Learning Centre in Toronto “create learning curricula, organize and deliver digital programming, carry out program development, and conduct measurement and evaluation work for operations in both Canada and the U.S.,” WE said in an e-mail response to Canadian Press.
Outside of North America, Kenya was the biggest recipient of money from WE Charity U.S.
WE did not make a representative available for an interview, but in an e-mailed response it included a quote attributed to the governor of Kenya’s Narok County. “I can confidently say that no NGO has done more to benefit Kenya than WE Charity,” Samuel K. Tunai is quoted as saying.
Other Kenyans have a different impression. Karuti Kanyinga, director of the Institute for Development Studies at the University of Nairobi, said he isn’t familiar with WE Charity or Free the Children, the organization’s former name.
With more than 10,000 NGOs operating in Kenya, he said it’s “difficult to keep track of what any of them is doing, except if it is involved in huge advocacy work or is one of the big ones with a lot of resources to impact change at the national level.”
WE Charity doesn’t appear on a list of the 50 NGOs that spend the most on programs in Kenya, released in the 2018-19 annual report of Kenya’s Non-Governmental Organizations Co-ordination Board. All NGOs operating in Kenya are required to submit reports to the board.
This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

jimkenney12

Reaction score
I do not understand his foolishness in delaying revealing the WE documents. I thought he would have learned from the SNC Lavalin disaster. I wonder if he has advisors deliberately setting him up to fail.

Ritafee

Being Human
Reaction score
As Glenn Greenwald notes:

“The way things are supposed to work is that we’re supposed to know virtually everything about what [government officials] do: that’s why they’re called public servants. They’re supposed to know virtually nothing about what we do: that’s why we’re called private individuals. This dynamic - the hallmark of a healthy and free society - has been radically reversed. Now, they know everything about what we do, and are constantly building systems to know more. Meanwhile, we know less and less about what they do, as they build walls of secrecy behind which they function. That’s the imbalance that needs to come to an end. No democracy can be healthy and functional if the most consequential acts of those who wield political power are completely unknown to those to whom they are supposed to be accountable.”

Lastpointe

Reaction score
I agree Jim Kenny. It is a very strange tactic

he shut down parliament to get this scandal out of the news. So that worked for a month

during that month they should have figured out a plan

parliament resumes and the committee wants the documents they asked for before, as well as documents that are not totally blacked out, as the government lawyer said they should have gotten (Black out and transparency are not really good bedfellows)

it they had done that, they could have just let this storm die a natural death. A few of us really following it would have continued to follow it but the news cycle had sort of moved on. It’s what they wanted to happen

instead this filibuster delay only seems to indicate there is a lot more to see Now it is back in the news

and Trudeau with his transparency pledge looks foolish

he forgets they work for us

i get secrecy over security matters. Not over how and why they gave a scetchy Charity a big contract to run a scetchy program thought up by the sketchy charity

they look foolish and definitely look like they are hiding something

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Does the public bureaucracy push a scheme of privacy first? Thus the privatization of public support systems that go under ...

Weasels and ermine are both sides of the currency ... one providing a better snow job that the other and then they alter positions ... different hues?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Guess this is the best thread to rant about this.

So Ottawa is now locked in the battle of the duelling committees. The Conservatives want a special committee that will look into the WE scandal. The Liberals and the NDP are pushing for a special committee to look at COVID funding in general, ie. not focus on WE. Tomorrow is an opposition day and the Conservatives may bring a motion to create their committee before the house.

The Liberal response? They threaten to call an election if the motion passes.

Can you say overkill? Can you say using a howitzer to take out a wasp nest?

Fact is, the NDP seem to be onside with the Liberals, which means they will likely vote with the Liberals against the Conservative motion in order to then move to get their own proposed committee before the house. There is no need for the Liberals to get heavy-handed in other words.

And if they do force an election? f*** them. We don't need an election right now. We need a working Parliament focussed on COVID and the economic recovery, not to mention other outstanding issues like the lobster war in NS.

ninj

I just am
Reaction score
Guess this is the best thread to rant about this.

So Ottawa is now locked in the battle of the duelling committees. The Conservatives want a special committee that will look into the WE scandal. The Liberals and the NDP are pushing for a special committee to look at COVID funding in general, ie. not focus on WE. Tomorrow is an opposition day and the Conservatives may bring a motion to create their committee before the house.

The Liberal response? They threaten to call an election if the motion passes.

Can you say overkill? Can you say using a howitzer to take out a wasp nest?

Fact is, the NDP seem to be onside with the Liberals, which means they will likely vote with the Liberals against the Conservative motion in order to then move to get their own proposed committee before the house. There is no need for the Liberals to get heavy-handed in other words.

And if they do force an election? f*** them. We don't need an election right now. We need a working Parliament focussed on COVID and the economic recovery, not to mention other outstanding issues like the lobster war in NS.

bHe's ahead in the polls but not enough to get a majority I don't think. Libs have to get more seats and the Cons are a comfortable couple points ahead of how many seats they need. Now or never for Trudeau.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
If they're stupid enough to call an election, they're stupid enough to lose it.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I don't think so. I really really like Jagmeet Singh, but I think there's a racist core in this country that won't elect a BIPoC. I'm not even sure we're ready for a woman. Maybe we'll find out with Chrystia Freeland. I think the Liberals need to ditch Trudeau, stat.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I don't think so. I really really like Jagmeet Singh, but I think there's a racist core in this country that won't elect a BIPoC. I'm not even sure we're ready for a woman.
Which does not bode well for the Greens, whose leader is a female BIPoC. Sigh.