TV series location shoot?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Hmmm - just got off the phone with a location scout who left a note in my mailbox yesterday. Seems they are interested in possibly using our house exterior for a shooting location for a new TV series. Will have to give this some thought.
Has anybody else done this?

I've seen various locations in & around our area - seems like a lot of disruption to the neighbourhood for a short while - but he said there would not be a lot of trucks etc. on the street as they'd being doing exterior shots. They take care of city permits & talking with all the neighbours apparently. We will not need to leave the house completely. It seems rather lucrative. Will have to think more on it.

I don't know about TV groups ... but I know from my sister's experience they can really impinge on your freedoms ... far more than according to contracts ...

Never been a part of something like this, though I used to stumble across shoots in Hamilton from time to time. Could be an interesting experience but I imagine it could also be disruptive.

Our church did a lot of work for Murdoch Mysteries.
Made nice change a few years in a row

Our church was a location site too a few years ago - minister's office became a doctor's office for a feature film. And sometimes it's used for a 'base' location - to serve meals to crew & cast, warm up in winter etc. Very lucrative!

For this new series, our house is potentially the exterior location for a studio set they have built - the window & door are in the 'right' location to match. It would be interesting I imagine.

I would probably consider it Carolla, but not sure if it was portrayed in a negative light...like a horror film or something else nasty. Do you know what the series is about?

Yes - it's a new series by producers of Saving Hope & Rookie Blue - featuring two female homicide detectives. It will be the home of one of them, not a crime scene, so I'm more comfortable with that. They are also possibly interested in using a bedroom as teen girl bedroom - hahaha - been there done that in real life! Interestingly they say the cover the house number, put up another number to improve privacy.

I would probably consider it Carolla, but not sure if it was portrayed in a negative light...like a horror film or something else nasty. Do you know what the series is about?

Actually, that would be a plus for me but I'm a horror fan from waaaaay back. I remember reading ghost stories even in elementary school. If I could pick a show that would be my dream show to shoot on my property, it would be American Gods but, alas, they've largely stuck to shooting in the actual locations from the novel though I know they did some of the studio shoots in TO.

I would suggest they pay you a nice vacation, so you are away from it all.
I imagine you need to put valuables and personal things away for the time being.

Carolla said:
Has anybody else done this?

When I was a student at VST we were a location for a couple of movies.

Unfogettable starring Ray Liotta was filmed there in the summer of 1995. I have never seen the movie although I heard that they blew up my faculty advisor's office in one scene. I imagine they had to clean it out first because if they just blew it up as was there would still be paper falling from the skies.

I'll Be Home For Christmas starring Jonathan Taylor Thomas shot at VST and many other Vancouver locations. For a little over a month the green space where our children ran around was over run by production trailers and the front of the school had these incredibly sad looking fake palm trees tied down for internal shots so that it looked like the school was someplace warmer, drier and sunnier than Vancouver. I never saw that movie either.

Apart from that there were a couple of homes a few blocks away in West Point Grey that were regular locations for Poltergeist the Legacy, which I also did not watch.

Viper was also filmed in Vancouver. Didn't watch that either.

X Files started in Vancouver, did watch that, was in a crowd scene though never seen on screen for an open call. Apparently we were all in the stadium to watch a chess match where one of the chessmasters gets shot. We were there all afternoon and it was interesting to watch them stage the scene. On the small screen it was very brief and not terribly vital to the plot.

I also crashed the X Files set at St. Paul's hospital quite by accident and did get to meet both David Ducovney and Mitch Pileggi. Ducovney, at the end of a very long day, looked like hell which I cheerfully commented on. Sitting their with my chaplain tag he plopped down in the seat next to me. I looked up from the notes I was making after a vist. Made eye, contact, recognized him and played it cool by saying, "You look like hell. Been that kind of a day has it?"

Was waiting to get on the Elevator to leave at the end of my shift and was standing with patient and her friend when the doors opened up and Pileggi stepped off. Patient immediately lost her cool and started babbling about an autograph. Mr. Pileggi didn't have a pen and looked at me, "What kind of props department doesn't give an FBI superintendent a pen?" as I passed mine over. Stuck around to make sure I got it back. X-files props department might be cheap. I'm cheaper.

While I never got my beak wet with any of that action I know that St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver has an open ward on the 7th floor dedicated for film shoots. It must bring in more money than filling it with patients does.

I think it was Law & Order that was being filmed in downtown Port Perry (ON) when my niece was a baby maybe 13 years ago. I guess they let all the downtown shop owners know what was going on, but my sister and her new daughter lived in an apartment above and did not know anything about it. So I had driven them home and was trying to help them wrestle all the baby gear along the crowded street and up the steep staircase. The crew were trying to get us to wait until the shot was finished... which was a joke, right?
Babies don't care about filming schedules.

Babies don't know nor care thus subjective beings working their way to unknown objectives ... some don't get there so they can see themselves from that alternate position. In essence the existent don't believe in the objective state ... thus stoic-ism as BS!

And we're well-fixed (pits) for a short while ...

They used our ski club for the upcoming Aaron Sorkin movie Molly's Game. I think we made out pretty well financially as a club. Lots of members were extras and had a blast during 3 days of filming.

As long as I didn't think people would be able to figure out my address (think google image search along with previous mls listings) I would be for it. There are some people who get weirdly obsessed with shows, celebrities, etc.

So, the producers looked at photos today ... "it's too nice" was their feedback! Guess they've got something else in mind. Oh well ... was fun to dream a bit about how we might spend that found money!

Reactions: Jae
At least the response wasn't "it's too run-down". You have a nice house; it's been confirmed by the big-wigs!

So, the producers looked at photos today ... "it's too nice" was their feedback! Guess they've got something else in mind. Oh well ... was fun to dream a bit about how we might spend that found money!
Send them to our place.

A nice chalet down the road from ours, and much nicer than ours, was rented by the movie people during the mid-week of the shoot. They didn't even miss a weekend and pocketed about $8000, I heard. Heck of a nice place and right next to the hill where they were filming, but still.

Hilary said:
At least the response wasn't "it's too run-down". You have a nice house; it's been confirmed by the big-wigs!

Yeah, that isn't the worst.

The worst is when your hometown's downtown is supposed to represent 30 years after an apocalyptic disaster and they actually have to clean the place up so that it is believable.

Brantford, filling in for the community of Silent Hill in the movie of the same name based on the video game of the same name.

Back