TRUMP - Some people think......... How do you feel?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

It's a bad thing to compromise ones core values for a career. Unless that person doesn't genuinely hold them. Then it's just about power.

Perhaps Harris sees that her core values can be upheld as VP under Biden, esp. if it opens the door to a presidential run when he leaves office? I see her as a possibility for a strong, active VP rather than a passive mouthpiece VP. And, after all, there's a non-zero chance this guy will be a one-termer given his age.

And, I guess I would add, that perhaps it is a compromise she would not have made if the stakes were different. But the goal of ousting Trump may have made her decide it's worth taking that risk.

Perhaps Harris sees that her core values can be upheld as VP under Biden, esp. if it opens the door to a presidential run when he leaves office? I see her as a possibility for a strong, active VP rather than a passive mouthpiece VP. And, after all, there's a non-zero chance this guy will be a one-termer given his age.
But that's what I mean - it's a stepping stone for her own career - if that's her primary core value, then I suppose.

But that's what I mean - it's a stepping stone for her own career - if that's her primary core value, then I suppose.

And advancing that career is also the most effective way to get her core values into the White House and maybe implemented, which is the positive way to look at this. Power is necessary to get what you believe is right. Power is the ability to make your values and desires real, pure and simple.

What is wrong with being ambitious and usingtheVP job as a stepping stone to the presidency? It doesn’t mean she will be either VP or president but I see nothing wrong

the primary season in the USA is combative and argumentative. It has to be for voters If everyone was chummy and agreed with everything each said how would voters choose?

but she bowed out, and I am sure had many discussions with Biden and staff about goals, what they will accomplish, what her role will be........

as for your infatuation with AOC, the USA is a very long way from choosing to elect such a wild card. Their democrats line up pretty well with our conservatives. They have no party that lines up with our liberals or NDP and she certainly comes across as more radical than the NDP

we can hope they get elected. I fear for the world if trump is given another four years to wreck havoc. And it is a distinct possibility in a two horse race

I'm not a fan of ambition for ambition's sake no matter the gender. I would like to see a team that already genuinely aligned and aren't a team of convenience. We saw what happened when the Republicans compromised their values to get behind Trump.

Bernie's the only consistent politician with integrity that they have, who has stuck with his principles his whole long career. Perhaps that's why he took so long to run and hasn't won, twice, but he keeps on keeping on with his principles regardless. He's right to endorse them because they desperately need to try to get Trump out but it's too bad he's not running. I think that might cost the Dems (and the US and the world) again.

I'm not a fan of ambition for ambition's sake no matter the gender. I would like to see a team that already genuinely aligned and aren't a team of convenience.

Except that's not the way that they do it in the States. They pick a presidential candidate and then build a team. Makes some sense to me; gives you an opportunity to "tick off as many boxes" as you can, or "increase your intersectionality", as you might phrase it? Given that they went for the old white guy, and they're facing TWO old white guys, adding appeal to a maximum number of demographics has got to be a priority.

Given that they went for the old white guy, and they're facing TWO old white guys, adding appeal to a maximum number of demographics has got to be a priority.

This may be a whole thread into itself, but do you think it is possible to have a US presidential election where the majority of the two big tickets isn't old white guys?

Except that's not the way that they do it in the States. They pick a presidential candidate and then build a team. Makes some sense to me; gives you an opportunity to "tick off as many boxes" as you can, or "increase your intersectionality", as you might phrase it? Given that they went for the old white guy, and they're facing TWO old white guys, adding appeal to a maximum number of demographics has got to be a priority.
Translation: the left is a bunch of sexist racists.

I'm not sure how you get that. America is a melting pot of cultures, races, genders. The right has decided that two old white guys are a good representation of this melting pot. The left has deliberated and said, well, wait, we've got the requisite old white guy; can we try and appeal to a wider demographic?

This may be a whole thread into itself, but do you think it is possible to have a US presidential election where the majority of the two big tickets isn't old white guys?

In another decade, or so, I'd guess. What I like to see, if this the system you've got, is as wide a representation on the ticket as possible. I'd like to see a lot more indigenous people in politics.

Old white guys cater to the "old guard" and maintain the status quo....eg.creating fears and thus wars.
Trump seems to be an exception in that regard...

It's mostly about appearances. Doubtful the policies will make life much better, if at all, for POC. Because Kamala has a record of putting young black people in private prisons on minor drug charges, to fill quotas in private prisons. She knows they are over-represented compared to white people faced with the same charges. People remember that. And they remember Biden's comment "If you don't vote for me, you ain't black." Pretty arrogant and out of touch. For many of them, it's the same as it always was. More structurally racist neoliberal policies that don't address everyday realities.

Back