The positive and negative of getting old

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Ok, I mean besides getting sick and chronically ill.
I just had a visit from an old acquaintance who I hadn’t seen for 28 years and only loosely held contact with. She is four years older than me.
I was wondering if getting stuck in your own convictions/ mind/ interpretations is a “ natural” way of getting old, kind of like our joints are getting stiff, our mind is doing the same. What would be the “ exercise” we need to do to keep us more flexible?
The benefit of getting old seems to me is the experience that “ I ‘ve done/ mastered / felt like that before”, and therefore, emotionally, we do not need to take things as serious as we did in our 20 ties. I remember feeling this as quite a relief.
However, is the other side of the coin that we act like we “ know it all”?
I feel like with age, I have noticed the importance of connection and support of other people, much more as in young life, when one thinks that one has to be independent and do it all alone. But are we also becoming more self-centred? Or just different self-centred than the teenager?
I also find that people or things annoy me more now, but I have learned not to show that right away as well as giving it time to go away on it’s own without any drama.
What’s your wise insight over the years?
 
When you gain experience there is a faction that doesn't want you around ... and a sector that needs you somewhere where knowledge is valued ... often that isn't where we are at ... as you tend to see a lot of folk that don't wish to know anything ... nothing to be accurate!

So we go ... the notorious left ... dunne gone! Many do not even note that we were once here ... we're nothing! Loci ...

Everywhere that sigh of essence going ... like the winds but not exactly ...
 
You could not pay me enough to go back to being my younger self.

What I appreciate most about getting older is how much less anxious I am.

Other people's opinions of me hold no serious weight any more.

Things don't faze me as much, my mind is quieter.

I'll take peace of mind over existential angst and I'll do it one day at a time.

Slowing down has not curbed my curiosity and I am ever grateful for the free time I have to engage with it.

I like nothing better than to spend hours upon hours just doing nothing "of importance".

I have always yearned for the time to explore my innermost self and test my own convictions.

Now I have it.

My biggest fear of aging out is becoming a burden to anyone else.

Not being able to drive is making me aware of that possibility.

But on the other hand it also has given me an excuse to opt out of a lot of commitments that I was not fully invested in.

Win some, lose some.

So far, the wins of getting older far outweigh the losses, as far as I am concerned.
 
At 61, I'm still kind of of at the high end of middle age heading into my senior years. Could do without some of the effects of aging (my arthritis and diabetes) but they are managed well. Learning the importance of keeping in shape and healthy is a big part of aging for me and so far, it's working.

I do appreciate the vast amount of learning I have done since my 20s. Not just the skills and knowledge I have acquired (and am still acquiring) but the improvements in my social skills. I'm still introverted but I handle myself with people much better than I used to.
 
Health puzzles are enigmatic ... the authorities asked me if I was anxieties about surgery at 75 and I laughed outrageously ...

When questioned about the response, I related that I expected to die prior to 65 because of history ... few believe there is anything to be learned there ...

"How old do you think I am" heh sayed ... I was sit 'n in Miami sipping blended wise Qui down ... when the shadow appeared ...

Then so many died because of a neural-cardiac condition I researched solidly ... then they do not believe me because they never looked into it as the Professors told them leaving Medical School that they we experts ... a shortfall ...

Some medical professors related this to me that I have an gift of study that is a curse to those that do not wish to know ... thus sacred zones!

It is humbling ... at least embarrassing ... bum exposing ... you cannot say much under the rule of ineffable ... and mental erasure under the emotional exception ...

Complexities? They are going on and on ... or otherwise AD continuum! That's life ... living tissue ... in constant exchange ...

Can you swallow that?
 
Last edited:
Positive of getting old
Naps are approved
Grandchildren exist
Time to explore and learn not just do

Negatives
Hah, none given the alternative is dying
 
Positive: Get to sit in the special grey seats on busses and subway trains.

Negative: Have been told by some employers that I'm now too old to work for them
 
Positive: Get to sit in the special grey seats on busses and subway trains.

Negative: Have been told by some employers that I'm now too old to work for them


Can you believe that? Then if driven by financial sectors it can be ... experience of old know-how really isn't that welcomed by young bulls!
 
Back
Top