The Politics of Family Christmas

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Half of Americans may have voted for Trump but most of the world wouldn't have. Including more than 80% of Canadians.

Trump is an American who ran in America as the candidate of an American political party to become President of America. The only ones he had to appeal to were Americans. He did that successfully. That people from other countries might not have voted for him, meh.

I just got home late tonight and there was a package at my door. The shawl is lovely. The colours are beautiful - burgundy to rust/ orange, raspberry pink and salmon hues - and it'll make a nice scarf too. So, whether Carolla feels like hugging me, or sometimes feels like wringing my neck - both are covered! I am just kidding. It is my best gift this year. Thank you, Carolla. And thanks for the heartwarming card as well. I was having a blue Christmas kind of day so it was a nice surprise to come home to. It arrived quickly, too! :)

Last edited:
Well odd people will upset you if the can ... they interpret it as their way of reciprocating on what they received ... an oppositional responsibility forming walls in the temple ... then there was that one that danced and sung outside what he worshipped ... and with Nomads the tents and fabrics came down and they moved on ... leaving we mire folk behind ... awaiting the next step dear jay Zues ...

It may not be as expected by the entitled ...

Some say the Black Hole thingy is not out there but inside as a means of giving the partisans a place to hide thoughts the powerfully entitled didn't wish to learn about ... contrary to the biblical expression: "teach my children!"

What ... I say is the virtue in that question if we are directed by religious authority to not question God as ID just is ... and perhaps they don't know! Next step please ... Snakes and Ladders?

L' edges wander without a good line of sight ... around corners even ...

Last edited:
Like many families that include adult kids we started making the holiday arrangements quite some time ago. What day for meal and gifts (25 or 26)? Arrival estimates for those who travel? How many days does the gathering include? Which home prepares the meal? Plans for the 'other' day/s? We thought everything was sorted as much as it needed to be. Hmmmffff........I'm fighting to not over react to yesterday's news from one adult kid who informed us that 'of course she couldn't spend the whole day - something came up and she has chosen to visit friends instead'.

We will enjoy the time with the three kids/spouses/kids that want to be together and try to ignore the hole left with by our 'difficult' child. From listening to others it seems many families have at least one member who seems to thrive on making problems, hurting feelings, being unco-operative. I'm thankful that I have three other kids who will supply three grandudes for us to enjoy!

I had a sibling text me to ask me what my Dad's plans were for Christmas.

I responded that he was coming here, and thruogh a couple more texts, I shared that it would be quiet here, no small children, one adult child working. We have decided to have our meal a different day.

So, I suggested that given they were going to be in town, that maybe they would like to have Dad with them, and his grandchildren & great grandchildren. It is close to the retirement home.

Quick turaround: Oh no, that wouldn't do. He doesn't know them.

Sigh, these are kids who lived down the street for him for a number of years. He knows them as much as anyone.

Anyhow....I will try to think positive thoughts regarding why I was texted, coz it doesn't seem out of care for my Dad.

I have decided that we will have a quiet afternoon, with nibbles and hockey (or football) on tv, then go to a United Church for dinner. It will be fun, and give him the dinner he enjoys, as well as social time with stories to take back to the retirement home.

Strange phone call eh. Could he have been looking for validation - it is ok that I'm not spending time with dad because he wants to be with my sister? Christmas and other major 'special' days sure bring out the difficulties we have with relationships, with parents, with siblings, with children and extended family.

I had a sibling text me to ask me what my Dad's plans were for Christmas.

I responded that he was coming here, and thruogh a couple more texts, I shared that it would be quiet here, no small children, one adult child working. We have decided to have our meal a different day.

So, I suggested that given they were going to be in town, that maybe they would like to have Dad with them, and his grandchildren & great grandchildren. It is close to the retirement home.

Quick turaround: Oh no, that wouldn't do. He doesn't know them.

Sigh, these are kids who lived down the street for him for a number of years. He knows them as much as anyone.

Anyhow....I will try to think positive thoughts regarding why I was texted, coz it doesn't seem out of care for my Dad.

I have decided that we will have a quiet afternoon, with nibbles and hockey (or football) on tv, then go to a United Church for dinner. It will be fun, and give him the dinner he enjoys, as well as social time with stories to take back to the retirement home.
He'll enjoy that, I'm sure. It sounds like a nice way to spend Christmas. It sounds like maybe your sibling just wants to know where your dad will be/ where to reach him on Christmas...maybe was figuring out his own plans and schedule so he could pop by, but not bring everybody, for whatever reason. I agree it would be nice if he brought the kids. Why not? Even if he didn't know them, why would that be a big problem?

Last edited:
Possibly the sibling text may not be about Dad at all - Dad's plans may simply be the vehicle to open some communication between sibs re their own plans for the day, or to initiate contact of some sort, possibly after a hiatus. Just another perspective.

In this case, knowing the sibling, it was a presumption that i was not taking care of Dad.

There was no invite for him or I to their dinner There was no desire to cut out time to see him. There was no acceptance of an invite to come over .
There was a decline of having the opportunity to spend time with him.

It's OK. It was easier to take as a text than a call

So the question of Dad's care was asked & answered. Done. Not belaboured. 'Yawn & move on' time :) Sometimes people are so predictable aren't they? Sounds like you have a good Xmas lined up for yourselves pinga. Ours will be quieter too this year.

Yup. It is good though to read how others read it, as it does make me think.

I have learned how to stay positive in such exchanges. Not to bite at the carrot of argument but rather offer the open hand.

I have learned how to enjoy Christmas with family. (And friends)

Lots to be thankful for

Back