The Episcopal Church is Out

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Jae

Just read on Fb that the Anglicans in England have given the Episcopal Church a three-year leave/sabbatical. The Episcopal Church during this time can't vote and whatnot at Anglican gatherings. The break is to give the Episcopals time to put their house in order. Apparently, allegedly, it's in a mess.

Welby is in a bind. He has to sanction the Episcopalians enough to appease the hardline idiots, but not so much that the Episcopalians leave.

Gotta love politics.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/anglicans-sanction-us-episcopal-church-gay-marriage-36293320

It's not a mess. It's an attack on them for their stand on same-sex marriage, and gay rights in general, pure and simple. The Anglican Church of Canada is voting on same sex marriage in July and I hope they stick to their guns and don't let this cow them. They could always ally with the Episcopals and form a splinter North American communion if the worldwide body continues on this path.
Since people don't have free will (in that we don't know why we do or decide what we do) & since we follow human authorities (grouping ourselves around subject-matter experts--why groups of different people of varying beliefs can call themselves 'Christians' ferinstance or why a relatively calm group can become radical) & due to some relatively new African Anglicans (who are uberconservative--in countries where they still stone witches and believe in curses) who have power in the Church, the Anglican church also worries aboot a schism -- this is a real concern with real consequences with property, money, taxes, etc?

@Nutmeg, who self-identifies Episcopalian, has been paying attention to this for a bit & I still don't quite understand how they can be separate yet linked to the Anglican Church...

All these fandoms...

Transmetropolitan_06_p14.jpg

Welcome to the global spiritual marketplace
[image source: google image search]

I read that the Church of Scotland is possibly interested in uniting with the US Episcopals too. I hope that Canada will stand up to the rest of the Anglican Communion and declare that being Christian includes not excludes. It fascinates me that many of the voting Bishops seem to have been totally silent on female genital mutilation, polygamy and the murder of LBG people (sorry the rest of the initials have fallen out of my brain!).

It fascinates me that many of the voting Bishops seem to have been totally silent on female genital mutilation, polygamy and the murder of LBG people (sorry the rest of the initials have fallen out of my brain!).

The problem is that it's the developing world bishops who, in some cases, support that stuff that are responsible. If it was up to the Church of England alone, I doubt this would have happened.

The Anglican Church of Canada.... They could always ally with the Episcopals and form a splinter North American communion if the worldwide body continues on this path.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was the eventual result.

Splintered communion ... is that like disassociation of thought patterns ... some positive, some negative and some "we-just-don't know"!

That out of here group as thye look in from exclusive positions and see that we the intelligent aren't? --- Exclusion Prin. that forms Cosmological prescience ... so we can see where we're off to ... into the abstract! Tis a mental thing quite small to reality functions ... they have no mind to do that ...

Interesting comment on fb today ...

View attachment 470

Thus when separated from the English Fabric ... thye take a bath ... baptism of pyre?

Reminds me in recall or religious myths of Dan tending the fires in that ironic containment ... and thus he was in the Trinitarian soup ... separated and about to be consumed for the heat within ... tis an odd story ... a stranger myth that hits the I'z ...

Divination would be, "the practice of using signs (such as an arrangement of tea leaves or cards) or special powers to predict the future" Course: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/divination

Yech, I don't believe in that Luce.

Modern Christians do not like icons and thus the nostalgic Romantic burns all others but what their god sent them ... usually in the book from King J'aimes. What did god say about having Kings?

Some icons are thus virtually burned ...

Sometimes icons are knows a sign, or even Semites ... and these are burned as iconoclast ... destroyed ... createing chaos in some zones that the rigid will take as "Bo" or strange scary thing ... als Jae it Tue will pas ...

Modern Christians do not like icons and thus the nostalgic Romantic burns all others but what their god sent them ... usually in the book from King J'aimes. What did god say about having Kings?

Some icons are thus virtually burned ...

Sometimes icons are knows a sign, or even Semites ... and these are burned as iconoclast ... destroyed ... createing chaos in some zones that the rigid will take as "Bo" or strange scary thing ... als Jae it Tue will pas ...
Actually Luce, I thins using are wonderful. I value and treasure them. They read UCCanada and our world. My first source in seminary each Spiritual Formation, held at the Crib Frantic Enter in Waldron, Ontario. There, amongst other things, the value of using each taught to UCCanada. All of that caused, I don't hold that using are a doorway into the future.

"We struggled with the fragility of our relations in response to the actions taken by the General Convention of The Episcopal Church in changing its canon on marriage, making provision for the blessing of same sex marriages. We talked, prayed and wrestled with the consequences considered by the meeting. Some of us wept" - Most Rev. Fred Hiltz, Archbishop and Primate, Anglican Church of Canada. Source: http://www.anglican.ca/news/an-init...-the-primates-meeting-in-canterbury/30014009/

What intrigues me is the insistence that the various churches of the Anglican communion are autonomous, but apparently they can be punished if they choose to exercise their autonomy. Which is a strange form of autonomy if you ask me.

I was also a bit saddened to hear one of the bishops from an African country (Sierra Leone is in my head, but I'm not sure) say that the reason the African Anglican communions oppose same sex marriage is because African culture won't tolerate it. He said nothing about theology or Scripture. Just culture. So he's saying that the church must be held hostage to the dominant culture rather than seeking to discern God's will. There was also a conservative Australian bishop interviewed who said that the action against the Episcopal Church was meaningless because it didn't include the Canadian Anglican Church.

There are some huge fractures developing in the Anglican communion, and I have my doubts if it can hold together much longer.

I read that the Church of Scotland is possibly interested in uniting with the US Episcopals too. I hope that Canada will stand up to the rest of the Anglican Communion and declare that being Christian includes not excludes. It fascinates me that many of the voting Bishops seem to have been totally silent on female genital mutilation, polygamy and the murder of LBG people (sorry the rest of the initials have fallen out of my brain!).

The Church of Scotland is a reformed church with a presbyterian polity. It would be a very strange fit with the US Episcopal Church, which is ... well ... episcopal.

The Church of Scotland is a reformed church with a presbyterian polity. It would be a very strange fit with the US Episcopal Church, which is ... well ... episcopal.
Okay... but some thought the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregational strange partners to come together into the UCCanada too ;)

Okay... but some thought the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregational strange partners to come together into the UCCanada too ;)
Quite true. But that union was made a little easier because it was all within Canada and the three churches were already co-operating in many places across the country. And even then a significant proportion of Presbyterians (one third) opted out. An international merger would be an added layer of complication.

Back