Sunday School Tomorrow

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Jae

My wife and I are leading a Sunday School tomorrow morning. It's my first time as a teacher. Thankfully my wife has more experience than I having taught in a couple of different Sunday Schools in Toronto. Our subject matter is The Story of the Lost Son - and our key message is that God loves everyone no matter how they act towards him. I'm really looking forward to the lesson.

As a side-note - this is the first thread I've started here at Wondercafe2. :)

Rich blessings.

Hmmm . . . Pinga . . . I have to admit, until you put it in print, I've never really thought about the mother . . . and that's strange, because I am a mother!

I've always thought about the father as widowed as a mother was never mentioned.

I have, though, thought about the other brother . . . one can find pieces of themselves in both brothers.

Good luck Pr. Jae.

Reactions: Jae
Let us know how it goes. I sometimes concentrated on the other son and the mother.

It went really well. Thanks for asking crazyheart. I never even thought about the mother - as she's not mentioned in the story. What kind of stuff would you say about the mother? I've never heard her mentioned before.

I have, though, thought about the other brother . . . one can find pieces of themselves in both brothers.

Good luck Pr. Jae.

Thank you Beloved. What I really taught about was the great love of the father. Even though both brothers dishonored him in one way or another - he never stopped loving them.

My understanding is that the mother isn't mentioned because se is considered of no importance - just like other women of Bible times. It makes quite a strong thread throughout the book - lots of stories and mentions of the men - not many of the women.

My understanding is that the mother isn't mentioned because se is considered of no importance - just like other women of Bible times. It makes quite a strong thread throughout the book - lots of stories and mentions of the men - not many of the women.

The mother who isn't mentioned would have been a part of one of Jesus' parables. So she would have been fictional even if she had been mentioned. Perhaps Jesus just didn't require the presence of a mother-character in this particular story that he told. The Bible as a whole - however - I agree with you on - is reflective of patriarchal times.

Who was going to cook the feast? Probably the mother.

Beloved. it was me posting-not Pinga. Twice it has happened today lol

Glad to hear it went well for you Pr. Jae - how many kids did you have in your group, and what age were they?

Glad to hear it went well for you Pr. Jae - how many kids did you have in your group, and what age were they?

Thanks Carolla. We had five kids - ranging in age from 1 to 15. There were two boys (brothers) - and three girls (sisters).

I thinkthestory is about how the father abased himself to welcome home the son. The mother isn't part for the story

However a rich family, she would likely have been supervising the servants

I always thought that the other son was a spoiled brat. He had his father's attention all those years that his brother was gone and when the brother came home ,he could not welcome him .He couldn.t celebrate and feel good for the father and son.

Do you think that your own knowledge of family dynamics, or history within your own family, impacts your reading of this story.
I have heard various responses over the years.

I know as I reflect now on it, it is different than I would have reflected at 16, 25 or

For sure, pinga. Years back it was only as written. I don't remember anyone stretching the story and asking questions.

This is an older song, by Benny Hester, that I used to listen to lots years ago . . . and this thread about the prodigal son reminded me of it. What appealed to me is the message of God (or in the case of the prodigal son story, the father) running to the one who left versus the leaver running toward God (or the father of the prodigal son).

When God Ran by Benny Hester & John Parenti

Almighty God,
The Great I Am
Immoveable Rock,
Omnipotent powerful

Awesome Lord,
Victorious Warrior
Mighty Conquerer,
Commanding King of Kings
And the only time,
the only time I ever saw Him run
Was when

He ran to me,
Took me in His arms, held my head to His chest
And said "My son's come home again".
Looked in my face, wiped the tears from my eyes
With forgiveness in His voice
He said "Son, do you know I still love you?"

It caught me by surprise when God ran

The day I left Home,
I knew I'd broken His heart
I wondered if
Things would ever be the same,

Then one night,
I remembered His love for me
And down that dusty road, ahead I could see
It was the only time,
the only time I ever saw Him run

Was when He ran to me,
Took me in His arms, held my head to His chest
And said "My son's come home again".
Looked in my face, wiped the tears from my eyes
With forgiveness in His voice
He said "Son, do you know I still love you?"

It caught me by surprise, It dropped me to my knees
When God ran

Bridge
Holy God, Righteous One
Who turned my way
Now I know, You've been waiting
For this day

I always thought that the other son was a spoiled brat. He had his father's attention all those years that his brother was gone and when the brother came home ,he could not welcome him .He couldn.t celebrate and feel good for the father and son.

He certainly acted like a brat at the time the younger brother came home. I think the thing is - he had always tried to honor his father according to what should have been done - but - judging by his reaction when his bro returned - he had done so for the wrong reasons. As a result - he had a feeling of entitlement.

I always identify with the younger son. I have an older sister who always did the 'right' thing.

Back