Summer services

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
God knows that the members of the UCCan are VERY Christian and highly qualified and therefore rewards them with summers off! ;) :D :p

Jae

Reaction score
God knows that the members of the UCCan are VERY Christian and highly qualified and therefore rewards them with summers off! ;) :D :p

Back when I was a kid in the UCCanada - one of the biggest rewards we got each summer was frosty pink lemonade served on the front lawn of the church after morning worship. :):cool:

Seeler

Reaction score
In recent years our church has joined with a nearby UCC congregation - services in their church in July (this year) while our minister is on vacation, then in our church in August while their minister is away. Many people in our congregation are not happy about it - we find the theology quite different (which is probably why we have two churches just blocks apart). Many of our people don't feel comfortable or safe in their church, and I think maybe some of their people don't feel comfortable or safe in ours (after all we may have a gay usher handing out bulletins and how can they avoid contact with him?). Also their building is not very accessible to those with mobility problems.
I am one of the people who won't be attending there.

I would much prefer we keep our church open all year round - even if it meant a small congregation meeting in the parlor and using the piano for music. Retired ministers, or lay people could do the service. We could be innovative - sit in a circle, invite questions or comments, have the people choose the hymns - or we could follow the usual order of service.

I've noticed this year that people are more vocal about not liking the shared services. Maybe next year we can do something different.

Seeler

Reaction score
Even when I'm on vacation I try to find a church to worship in on Sunday mornings.

Reactions: Jae

Beloved

Reaction score
I was thinking about your post, seeler, about how some in your congregation are feeling about these joint services. Do you think it is the majority? Is this something your board decided, or did the congregation have a say?

Jae

Reaction score
Even when I'm on vacation I try to find a church to worship in on Sunday mornings.
Me too. When I'm on vacation in New Brunswick I attend my mom's UCCanada. Otherwise - I look first for a Baptist church.

Seeler

Reaction score
I was thinking about your post, seeler, about how some in your congregation are feeling about these joint services. Do you think it is the majority? Is this something your board decided, or did the congregation have a say?
I am not sure how it was decided (and I'm on the Council). I think maybe the minister spearheaded it and the worship committee might have been involved. It's a fairly large church and often one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. I don't even know how or if they get any feedback from the congregation. I haven't heard anyone say they like the present arrangement, but some seem to think it makes sense economically to close our building for a month. I don't see how. It's the heating in the winter that's expensive. Pulpit supply and someone to play the piano (not necessarily the pipe organ) might be done by volunteers if we are too desperate to even pay for those. Lights, water and sewerage, custodian???
How much might they be losing by having members going elsewhere? I'll be giving my offering to the church I attend for that month.

shortysar

Reaction score
Our church shuts down the Sunday School and there's usually lower attendance; we don't have a choir. And our minister usually schedules her vacation for summertime, so there are a few weeks with subs leading worship (often members of the worship committee, or keen layity - I'm actually leading three services this summer). But otherwise it's usually a stripped down version of the usual.

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
When I was a child in a different time and place, nothing except school closed down during the summer. Church and Sunday School went on as usual, as did Scout type groups, sports clubs etc. Sometimes the group was smaller than during the winter but this just meant that some activities happened that were a bit 'special' because they couldn't be easily done with a big group. Mostly sports activities went on most of the year - soccer, ball, track events didn't just happen for a couple of weeks like now, in this time and place.

Beloved

Reaction score
(often members of the worship committee, or keen layity - I'm actually leading three services this summer)
Are you starting to prepare now shortysar? Do you enjoy leading the worship services? Wow, they are lucky to have you if you are willing to do 3 - way to go!

shortysar

Reaction score
Hi Beloved - I have my topics in mind but haven't set pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) in terms of actual sermon content yet lol. Hopefully this week I can start to generate some content so music, prayers etc. can flow from that. I do enjoy it - it's challenging, but in a good way, and it's a different experience from leading Sunday School, which is what I usually do. :)

Tabitha

journeying
Reaction score
hey Shortysar-I think I remember you from wondercafe Welcome back it's been awhile
and good for you taking the services

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
Our church services are quite different in the summer - no choirs & a substitute organist/pianist. We start with an informal hymn sing, led by a member of the congregation - two hymns chosen by that person, two shouted out by members present - gets a bit rowdy some weeks ;). Sometimes the leader gives some background re the composer or lyricist. We sometimes have our minister present, sometimes a lay leader, sometimes guest pulpit supply preacher. We don't actually use the chancel area - the leaders, readers & preachers all just position themselves on the floor level - it's less formal. No Sunday School or nursery provided in the summer - although we provide activity packs for any kids who are present. We have a lot of cottagers, so our numbers dwindle dramatically - mostly the 'old folks' present. Our church admin person is also away for July & Aug & we usually have a student to fill in at the office - mornings only.