So, what are you listening to these days?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla-in-law
Love this new version of the old Bee Gees song Too Much Heaven, featuring Barry Gibb with Alison Krauss. They go together very well.

Mendalla

From the same album, possibly my favorite Bee Gees tune featuring the band Little Big Town and Aussie guitar player Tommy Emmanuel. Nice to hear Barry putting some new polish on some of the great songs he and his late brothers put out.

Mendalla

Oh wow. And those led me to this gorgeous cover of another Bee Gees great. This is Aussie country star Keith Urban at a Bee Gees tribute concert.

Mendalla

Another oh wow. Words is a gem of a 3 minute pop song already. Dolly Parton nails it with some help from Barry.

It is, of course, not Dolly's first time singing a Bee Gees song. She and the late Kenny Rogers had a hit with Islands in the Stream, written by the Gibbs and co-produced by Barry for one of Kenny's albums.

Mendalla

As mentioned in the Netflix thread, I have been watching the series Russian Doll, starring Natasha Lyonne (who is also an executive producer and co-creator of the series). One thing that really works in the series is the soundtrack. Not all of the songs are ones I would normally listen to, but the soundscape fits the show perfectly.

This old Harry Nilsson song plays a very important role in the show, appearing in the very first scene and in multiple scenes thereafter.

Mendalla

The magnificent Dutch rock singer Floor Jansen dropped this yesterday. It's a cover of a song from a Tom Cruise movie, but I have not sought out the original yet. It's a good song for Floor's voice and style. Metal band Nightwish, Floor's regular gig, has now postponed their world tour (in support of their last album, which had the misfortune to drop just before COVID) until Fall due to the pandemic so I expect we'll be seeing more solo work from her this year.

Waterfall

Let me introduce you to Black Violin.....so first a bit about them:

And after touring for years with their amazing music, they are now nominated for a grammy for their album "Take the Stairs|". They are classicly trained but have updated their performances to include Hip Hop. And also changing the stereotype of who violinists look like.

Last edited:

Mendalla

As I get into Nordic metal bands like Nightwish, I find it interesting that they mostly sing in English. Obviously, it lets them reach a wider audience than if they sang in their native tongues (Nightwish, for instance, is Finnish with a multilingual Dutch lead singer). So, it is kind of cool to see one singing a traditional sounding song in their own tongue. This is Sabaton, a Swedish metal band who do a lot of work based on history. Their last album was focussed on the world wars, for instance. In this case, though, they are delving into their own country's history with a celebration of the Swedish Royal Guards regiment, which has a 500 year history. So, they decided to sing it in Swedish.

FYI, I found Sabaton through Nightwish. Sabaton's drummer Hannes Van Dahl is married to Floor Jansen, the aforementioned Dutch lead singer of Nightwish (their 4 year-old daughter has the very Swedish name of Freya). So we have a Dutch singer for a Finnish band married to a Swedish drummer and mostly singing in English. That's modern Europe in a nutshell, I think. :D

Mendalla

Weird note: The Wiki on Hannes van Dahl says he and Floor are "in a relationship" (which could mean married but often does not) while Floor's clearly calls Hannes her husband. I suspect the one on Hannes is poorly worded or out of date. I know for a fact they are married because I've seen them interviewed as a couple.